Old 30-09-2006, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Whats the best way of getting rid of Yarrow from lawn ??

Whats the best way of getting rid of Yarrow from lawn ??

I've tried a few chemicals but none seem to touch it.
Old 30-09-2006, 07:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from " pcplod contains these words:

Whats the best way of getting rid of Yarrow from lawn ??

I've tried a few chemicals but none seem to touch it.

Are you sure it's yarrow? That's rather a tall plant for a lawn weed.
But if it is yarrow, just pull it up and compost it ( it's shallow
rooted and a very good activator of compost heaps)

Janet

I'd love to grow yarrow, it was a favourite of my childhood. I'd pick the
blossoms and put them into tiny vases in my dolls' house, they dried and
stayed freshly white or pink for years.

A few years ago I met a child called Yarrow, a lovely girl who lives in a
yurt in Scotland. They have a local river/stream, the Yarrow, for which she
was named.

Mary

Old 30-09-2006, 09:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

It is common yarrow, and its very much a spreading plant in the lawn
with fern like leaves, and has a head of flowers that is white to
pinkish-white flat-topped composite flower heads.

When in the bare ground it does grow tall.

As it grow with rhizomes in the lawn, its very hard to get rid of.

Old 01-10-2006, 07:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 17:11:02 GMT, " pcplod
wrote:

Whats the best way of getting rid of Yarrow from lawn ??

I've tried a few chemicals but none seem to touch it.

I had quite large patches in my 'lawn'. Repeated applications of a
good quality standard selective lawn weedkiller (Verdone) eventually
got rid of nearly all of it, although I still see the occasional ferny
leaf which gets instantly hit with Verdone.

Probably too late in the year to do it now, but try next spring,
leaving say six weeks between applications.

--
Chris

Old 01-10-2006, 10:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

pcplod wrote in message ...
Whats the best way of getting rid of Yarrow from lawn ??

I've tried a few chemicals but none seem to touch it.

Yarrow - Achillea millefolium. A strongly scented plant of the daisy
family.

I wish my small lawn had masses of yarrow in it: then I'd get rid of the
grass.

Have you noticed that the more you cut yarrow with the lawn mower, the
smaller become its fern like leaves?

Have you also noticed that no matter how brown the grass becomes in a
drought, the yarrow stays green?

Get rid of the grass is my advice!

Lionel

Old 05-10-2006, 09:01 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by
Whats the best way of getting rid of Yarrow from lawn ??

I've tried a few chemicals but none seem to touch it.
In 2003 I made the (with hindsight) error of applying fertiliser/weedkiller/mosskiller combo to my lawns in the spring. This was especially a mistake on my front lawn which at the time had relatively little grass among the weeds. Being 2003 the grass did not grow for several months, and what moved into the spaces left by the dead moss and weeds was yarrow, which had been largely unaffected by the weedkiller.

Now I don't mind having a bit of yarrow mixed in with a balanced mix of grass, clover, daisies, and other small wild flowers. But a lawn mottled with a few large yarrow patches is not so nice. Although it was a big job, I just pulled it out, taking especial care to remove as much rhizome as possible. I find pulling yarrow out much easier to do in summer when the soil is dry than in winter when it is sticky, though that depends on your soil type I suppose, and the degree of lawn thatch. Also the rhizomes are more stringy in the summer, and so long stretches come out more easily. The rhizomes are mostly on the surface and with some care come out rather easily. And when it resprouted from the bits of rhizome left over, I pulled that out. It hasn't completely got rid of it, but it is no longer locally dominant, and there are some areas which are now completely free of it. But most important the grass has had chance to recover, and I now have a more balanced mix of plants in the lawn.

Now if any bits of lawn look like the yarrow is becoming dominant, I just pull out any bits that look especially healthy, and associated rhizome. I keep the couch grass under control in much the same way.

I found an autumn lawn feed especially helpful for giving the desirable grasses a boost. Spring feeding now seems to be a mistake, since most years recently my lawn has stops growing in mid-summer.
Old 06-10-2006, 10:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"echinosum" wrote in message

Wrote:
[...]

That's a me too -or was when I had a lawn at a previous house.
It seems to thrive on very dry and acidic soil. Hand weeding followed by
Verdone solved the problem. Small amounts of the stuff interspersed with the
grass and other weeds were acceptable.
Reducing the acidity of the soil by using lime stopped future invasions of
achillea and some other weeds.
If you are that dedicated to removing it entirely then you will need to test
the exact pH of the lawn and work out very carefully how much lime you need.
I can do that for you at a vast price:-)

Yarrow Lawn for Hillside? DD Gardening 3 07-06-2005 01:01 AM
Yarrow Lawn Rod United Kingdom 0 20-06-2004 10:03 PM
Whats the best way to get rid of moles in your yard? Marc Williams Lawns 14 20-06-2004 06:04 AM
best way to get rid of lawn dd Gardening 45 14-02-2004 02:02 AM
What is the best product or way to get rid of bugs in the lawn??? Daniel Lawns 6 27-06-2003 03:32 AM