GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Pond insect identification? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/150025-pond-insect-identification.html)

Crag 01-10-2006 03:15 PM

Pond insect identification?

Afternoon,

Cleared some muck out of the pond this week and left it on the side to let
any creatures get back in. I saw several of what I think are insects
crawling back in but I have no idea what they are.

They were approx 1" long, had 6 legs (that I could see), had a newt-like
tail and were greyish/silver in colour with an upside down Trapezoid shaped
head.

Grateful if anyone could make sense if this description and advise what
these are (didn't have chance to take any photos).

Thanks

Charlie Pridham 01-10-2006 03:39 PM

"Crag" wrote in message

Afternoon,

Cleared some muck out of the pond this week and left it on the side to let
any creatures get back in. I saw several of what I think are insects
crawling back in but I have no idea what they are.

They were approx 1" long, had 6 legs (that I could see), had a newt-like
tail and were greyish/silver in colour with an upside down Trapezoid

shaped
head.

Grateful if anyone could make sense if this description and advise what
these are (didn't have chance to take any photos).

Thanks

--

Sound like Dragonfly larvae

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Phil L 01-10-2006 04:51 PM

Crag wrote:
Afternoon,

Cleared some muck out of the pond this week and left it on the side
to let any creatures get back in. I saw several of what I think are
insects crawling back in but I have no idea what they are.

They were approx 1" long, had 6 legs (that I could see), had a
newt-like tail and were greyish/silver in colour with an upside down
Trapezoid shaped head.

Grateful if anyone could make sense if this description and advise
what these are (didn't have chance to take any photos).

Thanks

Dragonfly larvae...there's a picture of one he

http://csa.springbranchisd.com/clark1e/limnol5.jpg

and another one, after the adult has emerged from it:

http://mishuna.image.pbase.com/u29/s...4140.5.web.jpg

Crag 01-10-2006 05:51 PM

Pond insect identification?

On Sun, 01 Oct 2006 15:51:44 GMT "Phil L" wrote
in .uk:

http://mishuna.image.pbase.com/u29/s...4140.5.web.jpg

I think that's the one (looks more like the 2nd picture), although I swear
that the abdomen wasn't segmented. perhaps I'll have another look when the
weather clears up...

Thanks all.