GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Snails (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/150115-snails.html)

Jim S 05-10-2006 04:33 PM

Snails

While tidying my garden here in the North East I noticed that on a patch of
sandstone wall at about 12" from the ground are scores of tine snails ~3mm
long and cone shaped.
These are new to me.
Any ideas?
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK

Claire 05-10-2006 05:08 PM

Snails

On Thu, 5 Oct 2006 16:33:20 +0100, Jim S wrote:

While tidying my garden here in the North East I noticed that on a patch of
sandstone wall at about 12" from the ground are scores of tine snails ~3mm
long and cone shaped.
These are new to me.
Any ideas?

What colour shells do they have?

michael adams[_2_] 05-10-2006 06:26 PM

Snails

"Jim S" wrote in message
While tidying my garden here in the North East I noticed that on a patch

of
sandstone wall at about 12" from the ground are scores of tine snails ~3mm
long and cone shaped.
These are new to me.
Any ideas?
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
http://www.jimscott.co.uk

Ice-cream cone shaped snails would probably be sinstrals, possibly
juveniles at that size. Fifth one down

http://www.open2.net/survey/snails/h...l_download.htm

michael adams

Jim S 05-10-2006 07:04 PM

Snails

On Thu, 5 Oct 2006 18:26:48 +0100, michael adams wrote:

"Jim S" wrote in message
While tidying my garden here in the North East I noticed that on a patch

of
sandstone wall at about 12" from the ground are scores of tine snails ~3mm
long and cone shaped.
These are new to me.
Any ideas?
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
http://www.jimscott.co.uk

Ice-cream cone shaped snails would probably be sinstrals, possibly
juveniles at that size. Fifth one down

http://www.open2.net/survey/snails/h...l_download.htm

michael adams

Could be right or should that be left?
I'll have a look when it stops raining.
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK

K 05-10-2006 08:53 PM

Snails

michael adams writes

"Jim S" wrote in message
While tidying my garden here in the North East I noticed that on a patch

of
sandstone wall at about 12" from the ground are scores of tine snails ~3mm
long and cone shaped.
These are new to me.
Any ideas?
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
http://www.jimscott.co.uk

Ice-cream cone shaped snails would probably be sinstrals, possibly
juveniles at that size. Fifth one down

http://www.open2.net/survey/snails/h...l_download.htm

That's a bit of a confusing statement. 'Sinistral' is not the name of
the species, it merely refers to whether the shell coils in a clockwise
or anti-clockwise fashion. 'Ice cream cone' shaped snails can coil in
either direction.

--
Kay

michael adams[_2_] 07-10-2006 08:50 AM

Snails

"K" wrote in message
michael adams writes

"Jim S" wrote in message
While tidying my garden here in the North East I noticed that on a

patch
of
sandstone wall at about 12" from the ground are scores of tine snails

~3mm
long and cone shaped.
These are new to me.
Any ideas?
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
http://www.jimscott.co.uk

Ice-cream cone shaped snails would probably be sinstrals, possibly
juveniles at that size. Fifth one down

http://www.open2.net/survey/snails/h...l_download.htm

That's a bit of a confusing statement.

Indeed. However that's how they're introduced on the snail census
website.

quote

[picture]
Sinistral (left-handed) long thin shells (Clausiliidae family).

Shells in this group of species are clearly much longer than wide,
10-20mm long but only about 3-4mm wide. The key characteristic to
look out for is the opening of the shell which is on the left-hand side.

/quote

rather than as being Clausiliidae, for some reason.

'Sinistral' is not the name of
the species, it merely refers to whether the shell coils in a clockwise
or anti-clockwise fashion.

'Ice cream cone' shaped snails can coil in either direction.

Which, for the benefit of the OP, might be from which other
species ? In a UK context, at least.

As presumably they can't be Clausiliidae, as all the ice cream cone shaped
Clausiliidae have already been identified as being Sinistral

If you get my drift.

michael adams

Kay