GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Composting (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/150157-composting.html)

[email protected] 08-10-2006 09:13 AM

Composting

Does anyone know if you can you put the ash from burning smokelss coal
onto a compost heap?

Stewart Robert Hinsley 08-10-2006 10:34 AM

Composting

In message om,
writes
Does anyone know if you can you put the ash from burning smokelss coal
onto a compost heap?

Two reasons for not doing so

1) coal ash is mineral, not organic, in composition, so it won't rot
down in the compost heap. (I'm not qualified to comment on the effects
on aeration, insulation and the health of the compost flora and fauna.)

2) coal ash contains significant amounts of heavy metals, which are
toxic in quantity to plants in general, and to whatever eats the plants.

I don't know how much you'd have to use for toxicity to be a problem.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley