GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Walnut taproot ??? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/150159-walnut-taproot.html)

[email protected] 08-10-2006 02:26 PM

Walnut taproot ???

I have a walnut seedling growing well.

Do I cut the tap root off ???

If I do, what effect will it have when I plant it out.

Pam Moore 08-10-2006 03:44 PM

Walnut taproot ???

On Sun, 08 Oct 2006 13:26:41 GMT, " pcplod
wrote:

I have a walnut seedling growing well.

Do I cut the tap root off ???

If I do, what effect will it have when I plant it out.

As long as it has other roots it should be OK.
In Bonsai circles you would of necessity cut off the tap root in order
to pot it, but you would have to ensure it had made other fibrous
roots first.

Pam in Bristol

[email protected] 08-10-2006 03:55 PM

Walnut taproot ???

I am led to believe that walnuts need planting out quickly as they do
not like there taproot being pot bound.

But some people cut the tap off.

Will this make the tree when growing in the open unstable, not grow
quickly etc etc

Mike Lyle[_1_] 08-10-2006 04:05 PM

Walnut taproot ???

wrote:

I have a walnut seedling growing well.

Do I cut the tap root off ???

If I do, what effect will it have when I plant it out.

As long as it has other roots it should be OK.
In Bonsai circles you would of necessity cut off the tap root in order
to pot it, but you would have to ensure it had made other fibrous
roots first.

I understand it's actually beneficial if, as Pam says, the feeding
roots are already established. In forestry nurseries they go along the
rows after a couple of years and undercut the lot to encourage fibrous
rooting. I assume, but don't know, that this applies to all hardy tree
species.

--
Mike.

Alan Holmes 08-10-2006 04:30 PM

Walnut taproot ???

wrote:

I have a walnut seedling growing well.

Do I cut the tap root off ???

If I do, what effect will it have when I plant it out.

Why would you want to cut the taproot off?

Alan