GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   permission to import plants (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/150164-permission-import-plants.html)

solaara 08-10-2006 10:50 PM

permission to import plants

how do I get permission to import plants from the U S A?

michael adams[_2_] 09-10-2006 08:41 AM

"solaara" wrote in message

how do I get permission to import plants from the U S A?

All the information you need can probably be found on here

"The Plant Health Guide For Importers"

pdf version -

http://www.defra.gov.uk/planth/publi...r/impguide.pdf

html version -

http://tinyurl.com/f9dus

for

http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:1...J:www.defra.go
v.uk/planth/publicat/importer/impguide.pdf+customs+plants+UK
&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=7

It's less a case of getting permission beforehand, and more a case of
ensuring that all the plants are accompanied by the appropriate forms,
and are packed in an appropriate manner etc. And finding out whether
or not they may be imported at all.

michael adams

solaara

Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) 09-10-2006 11:20 AM

--
solaara

The links Mike has given are all you need .
You end up with a Number as a licensed plant importer which appears on all
paperwork /packaging etc.
Please be aware that many if not all stuff from the States has to be bare
rooted and the cost of importing just one plant will be very high.
If you can find the plant anywhere in Europe then hassle and cost are
reduced.
Can you tell us which plants you want? Someone here may already have them or
beam you onto suppliers.

solaara 09-10-2006 03:52 PM

I was mainly thinking about the beautiful african violet leaves that are for sale..There are so many places in the States that do them...solaara

p.s. Thanks to everyone who replied!

Mike Lyle[_1_] 09-10-2006 10:10 PM

permission to import plants

solaara wrote:
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) Wrote:

[...]
Please be aware that many if not all stuff from the States has to be
bare
rooted and the cost of importing just one plant will be very high.
If you can find the plant anywhere in Europe then hassle and cost are
reduced.
Can you tell us which plants you want? Someone here may already have
them or
beam you onto suppliers.

I was mainly thinking about the beautiful african violet leaves that
are for sale..There are so many places in the States that do
them...solaara

Are you quite sure the varieties you want aren't available in the UK or
elsewhere in Europe? As Rupert says, it may not be worth the hassle,
particularly with a plant like that which just can't (AFAIK) be moved
bare-rooted and whose propagating material is so perishable. Note when
searching that a variety may not have the same name in every country.

--
Mike.

Alan Holmes 09-10-2006 10:57 PM

"solaara" wrote in message

how do I get permission to import plants from the U S A?

Would you really want to import plants from a country which will not allow
you to take plants to there?

Alan

--
solaara