GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Preserving chillies (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/150216-preserving-chillies.html)

Mike Lyle[_1_] 10-10-2006 03:25 PM

Preserving chillies

I think I'm going to try salting some green chillies, as it used to
work well with my mother's runner beans. If anybody's done it, how did
it go? Should I slit them open, or even halve them lengthwise, to let
the salt in?

--
Mike.

p.k. 10-10-2006 04:10 PM

Preserving chillies

Mike Lyle wrote:
I think I'm going to try salting some green chillies, as it used to
work well with my mother's runner beans. If anybody's done it, how did
it go? Should I slit them open, or even halve them lengthwise, to let
the salt in?

Much easier to shove 'em in a plasic bag and stright into the freezer1

pk

Pam Moore 11-10-2006 08:27 AM

Preserving chillies

On 10 Oct 2006 07:25:22 -0700, "Mike Lyle"
wrote:

I think I'm going to try salting some green chillies, as it used to
work well with my mother's runner beans. If anybody's done it, how did
it go? Should I slit them open, or even halve them lengthwise, to let
the salt in?

Going off slightly on a tangent, I'd like some chilli advice. I have
a plant in a pot, which I grew from seed from a red chilli from the
greengrocer. It is growing well, and has 3 green chillis the size of
the parent one, but they are not turning red.
If I remove them will they ripen?
Will they dry and keep?
There are other flowers and tiny fruit which I want to develop.
This is my first time growing them.

Pam in Bristol

echinosum 11-10-2006 09:20 AM

Some chilli pickle recipes here, http://www.fiery-foods.com/ you'll find others if you look.

Chillies do take several weeks to ripen. Frost will kill it, but even if it is cool at night the chillies will eventually ripen provided they get enough light, though further fruit will not set if it is cool. It is enough to bring it inside and put it on a light windowsill before the first frost. It should continue to ripen/produce chillies for at least 6 more weeks. You can then prune it back, and with luck it will start growing again next year, and it will then fruit earlier and be more productive. Water modestly at this time, they naturally grow in places with dry winters. Though it isn't guaranteed - if you had 10 plants you would probably loose at least half, especially if it is a C. annum variety (the most common).

Pam Moore 11-10-2006 03:13 PM

Preserving chillies

On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 09:20:41 +0100, echinosum
wrote:

Chillies do take several weeks to ripen. Frost will kill it, but even
if it is cool at night the chillies will eventually ripen provided they
get enough light, though further fruit will not set if it is cool. It
is enough to bring it inside and put it on a light windowsill before
the first frost. It should continue to ripen/produce chillies for at
least 6 more weeks. You can then prune it back, and with luck it will
start growing again next year, and it will then fruit earlier and be
more productive. Water modestly at this time, they naturally grow in
places with dry winters. Though it isn't guaranteed - if you had 10
plants you would probably loose at least half, especially if it is a C.
annum variety (the most common).

Thanks Echinosum; very useful advice. The plant is already on a west
facint window sill and getting TLC!

Pam in Bristol

Mike Lyle[_1_] 11-10-2006 03:39 PM

Preserving chillies

wrote:

Chillies do take several weeks to ripen. Frost will kill it, but even
if it is cool at night the chillies will eventually ripen provided they
get enough light, though further fruit will not set if it is cool. It
is enough to bring it inside and put it on a light windowsill before
the first frost. It should continue to ripen/produce chillies for at
least 6 more weeks. You can then prune it back, and with luck it will
start growing again next year, and it will then fruit earlier and be
more productive. Water modestly at this time, they naturally grow in
places with dry winters. Though it isn't guaranteed - if you had 10
plants you would probably loose at least half, especially if it is a C.
annum variety (the most common).

Thanks Echinosum; very useful advice. The plant is already on a west
facint window sill and getting TLC!

Note, though, that as your plant is a seedling from a supermarket
chilli, it's most unlikely to be best suited to British conditions.
Mine are the same: just for fun I grew two from a Tesco bird's-eye,
which probably came from Thailand. The plants are very different: one
fruited early and well, while the other is very shy and a couple of
months behind in fruiting, even though it's been a bigger plant right
from the start.

I've never been lucky enough to find second-year chillies, however
cosseted, more productive than an early spring sowing; though I've
never had any trouble in keeping them alive. Not that it usually
matters unless one has only a single plant: you generally get more than
you need anyhow.

Yes, p.k., you can freeze them; but I'm asking about salting.

--
Mike.

K 14-10-2006 07:33 PM

Preserving chillies

echinosum writes

Pam Moore Wrote:

[...]

IME the presence of ripe or developing chillies on a plant doesn't in
any way inhibit the further development of chillies, so there's no need
to remove them on this score.

--
Kay