GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Small flies in the pots (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/150236-small-flies-pots.html)

cherokee 11-10-2006 08:23 AM

Small flies in the pots

Hello,

I have a big problem with small flies living in my herbs pots. Have you got
any idea what to do with them? I was looking for some sprays or sth. in the
shops, but I haven't found anything I could use on herbs.

cherokee

Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) 11-10-2006 09:36 AM

Small flies in the pots

"cherokee" wrote in message
Hello,

I have a big problem with small flies living in my herbs pots. Have you
got
any idea what to do with them? I was looking for some sprays or sth. in
the
shops, but I haven't found anything I could use on herbs.

cherokee

Probably fruit flies or something similar.
They are living and breeding in the top few inches of soil and like
moist,damp warm locations with a source of decaying vegetation.
Particularly troublesome at this time of year with lots of over ripe fruit
sources. If the pots are outside then I would not worry too much but inside
they are a nuisance and a health hazard.
Remove the loose soil on top of the pot, add a bit of fresh soil/compost
and top off with shingle/pumice/gravel.
If that does not work then remove all the soil and repot.