Old 12-10-2006, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Msg. for Charlie re trees in Madeira

Charlie, can you remember what the street trees are in Madeira that they
call the tulip trees? They're not Liriodendrons but are pink with white
bits and have rather waxy petals. We looked them up while we were there and
have promptly forgotten again. Old age creeping on, obviously!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 13-10-2006, 10:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
Charlie, can you remember what the street trees are in Madeira that they
call the tulip trees? They're not Liriodendrons but are pink with white
bits and have rather waxy petals. We looked them up while we were there

and
have promptly forgotten again. Old age creeping on, obviously!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
http://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/

Do you mean the Kapok trees? Chorisia speciosa

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 13-10-2006, 11:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/10/06 09:30, in article , "Charlie
Pridham" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
Charlie, can you remember what the street trees are in Madeira that they
call the tulip trees? They're not Liriodendrons but are pink with white
bits and have rather waxy petals. We looked them up while we were there

and
have promptly forgotten again. Old age creeping on, obviously!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
http://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/

Do you mean the Kapok trees? Chorisia speciosa

That's it! Thank you. A lot of them were in flower while we were there and
several were going over, so their flowering period must be long and
staggered. They're really beautiful.

Old 13-10-2006, 12:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

Pridham" wrote:

Do you mean the Kapok trees? Chorisia speciosa

That's it! Thank you. A lot of them were in flower while we were there and
several were going over, so their flowering period must be long and
staggered. They're really beautiful.

Later in the year, the seed pods open , looking exactly like big
lumps of cotton wool.

Janet
Old 13-10-2006, 07:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 13/10/06 11:34, in article ,
"Janet Baraclough" wrote:

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

On 13/10/06 09:30, in article
, "Charlie
Pridham" wrote:

Do you mean the Kapok trees? Chorisia speciosa

That's it! Thank you. A lot of them were in flower while we were

there and
several were going over, so their flowering period must be long and
staggered. They're really beautiful.

Later in the year, the seed pods open , looking exactly like big
lumps of cotton wool.

Don't remember any of those, so we must have seen the 'going over' ones

just
before that.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
http://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/

The green pods were just starting to split when we were there so you only
just missed them.

Old 16-10-2006, 05:25 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Pridham
Do you mean the Kapok trees? Chorisia speciosa
It is more specifically called the floss silk tree, but it is a kind of kapok. Chorisia speciosa has been re-genus-ed as Ceiba speciosa, and is from the southern hemisphere American tropics. The name kapok is more specifically used for Ceiba pentandra, which is from the northern hemisphere American tropics.
I saw some truly astonishing examples of C. speciosa in northern Argentina, where it is native. Absolutely massive, trunk about 6 feet in diameter, the flowers of a single tree perfuming a whole square. In Spanish, they call it "palo borracho", which means drunken stick, referring to the way the trunk bulges out as if it has a pot-belly on mature specimens, which becomes more obvious on mature trees. The "thorns" on the trunks can be something to behold too.

board msg [email protected] Bamboo 0 08-02-2017 01:48 PM
[IBC] I SENT NO"TEST"MSG TO BONSAI LIST-BEWARE Lynn Boyd Bonsai 0 06-02-2004 07:47 PM
[IBC] I SENT NO"TEST"MSG TO BONSAI LIST-BEWARE Lynn Boyd Bonsai 0 06-02-2004 07:42 PM
non vasculars in MADEIRA help daniel vega Plant Science 1 18-06-2003 12:56 PM
madeira non vascular help daniel vega Plant Science 0 16-06-2003 11:56 PM