GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Cherry Blossom Tree Pruning? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/150329-cherry-blossom-tree-pruning.html)

Giraffeman 15-10-2006 12:29 PM

Cherry Blossom Tree Pruning?

Hi

Does anyone know when the right time is to cut back cherry blossom trees? They're in a friends garden and already medium size trees of about 25 years (no previous pruning at all).

I wasn't sure if they should be cut back in winter when there is no sap circulating or in Spring just before they bud into beautiful pink flowers.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

echinosum 16-10-2006 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giraffeman
Hi

Does anyone know when the right time is to cut back cherry blossom trees? They're in a friends garden and already medium size trees of about 25 years (no previous pruning at all).

I wasn't sure if they should be cut back in winter when there is no sap circulating or in Spring just before they bud into beautiful pink flowers.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

Summer is the safest time to prune cherries.