GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   plant or thug? Sel. carvifolium (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/150347-plant-thug-sel-carvifolium.html)

clarissa 15-10-2006 06:46 PM

plant or thug? Sel. carvifolium

Hi I have looked everywhere for the growing conditions for this plant and
found only a short passage in an old book of Margery Fish where she says "it
is a beautiful plant for part shade." I hate to second guess such a
reliable gardener but Google lists it in some places as a weed. It looks
suspiciously like Queen's Annes Lace which tends to be a terrible weed
farther south of me in Oregon and Washington states. So - should I get rid
of it? Or if desirable - how do I get it to grow? Thanks for any help
Jean Vancouver BC Canada

Sacha[_1_] 15-10-2006 07:11 PM

plant or thug? Sel. carvifolium

On 15/10/06 18:46, in article 9uuYg.20102$P7.17450@edtnps89, "clarissa"
wrote:

Hi I have looked everywhere for the growing conditions for this plant and
found only a short passage in an old book of Margery Fish where she says "it
is a beautiful plant for part shade." I hate to second guess such a
reliable gardener but Google lists it in some places as a weed. It looks
suspiciously like Queen's Annes Lace which tends to be a terrible weed
farther south of me in Oregon and Washington states. So - should I get rid
of it? Or if desirable - how do I get it to grow? Thanks for any help
Jean Vancouver BC Canada

Our climate here is not dissimilar to yours (I have friends living there)
and we grow Selinum wallachianum here with no trouble. I can't answer for
S. carvifolium personally but I believe it grows to 30" - sounds wonderful!
Queen Anne's lace is Daucus Carota, a member of the carrot family and
another thing altogether so I don't think you need to worry about one being
like t'other.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

K 15-10-2006 08:09 PM

plant or thug? Sel. carvifolium

Sacha writes
wrote:

[...]

But Daucus carota isn't particularly invasive here, not like, say,
Fool's parsley (which looks a lot more like Selinum carvifolia than
does Daucus carota) or ground elder. All of them, including Selinum,
are members of the carrot family.

The point is that just because it looks like Queen Anne's lace ( as a
result of its being in the same family) doesn't mean to say it will be
invasive.

Selinum carvifolia appears to wild in the UK (known as Cambridge Milk
Parsley) but is confined to three Cambridgeshire fens. If the OPs
growing conditions are like ours, then that sounds as if it shouldn't be
too much of a problem.
--
Kay

Sacha[_1_] 15-10-2006 11:30 PM

plant or thug? Sel. carvifolium

On 15/10/06 20:09, in article , "K"
wrote:

snip

Selinum carvifolia appears to wild in the UK (known as Cambridge Milk
Parsley) but is confined to three Cambridgeshire fens. If the OPs
growing conditions are like ours, then that sounds as if it shouldn't be
too much of a problem.

It's popular with florists and their suppliers, so I don't think so. Most
of their supplies come from Holland but I don't know if this does.