Old 15-10-2006, 10:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Just wondered if anyone else's plants are flowering when they shouldn't be?

I'm sure I have plants that are flowering at the moment that don't
normally at this time of year. I have one primrose and a couple of
bluebell plants that are flowering. My roses are still flowering and a
couple of them seem to be having a second or maybe third flowering
session and I'm sure this doesn't normally happen. Please tell me I'm
not alone and also that this won't affect flowering for next year.

Gail

Old 15-10-2006, 10:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"tom&barbara" wrote in message
ps.com...
I'm sure I have plants that are flowering at the moment that don't
normally at this time of year. I have one primrose and a couple of
bluebell plants that are flowering. My roses are still flowering and a
couple of them seem to be having a second or maybe third flowering
session and I'm sure this doesn't normally happen. Please tell me I'm
not alone and also that this won't affect flowering for next year.

Gail

Fear not -you are not alone. Nothing you have said is that unusual .Must
admit I haven't seen bluebells in Oct.
On the more exotic front Bamboos are pushing up new culms by the score, Tree
ferns are pushing out new fronds and Bananas and Gingers are continuing to
flower and grow at an alarming rate. It's a mild autumn.
Within a month everyone will be saying we have had the worst November since
records began.
I seem to remember that last year was equally strange--makes life more
interesting.

Old 15-10-2006, 10:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

tom&barbara writes
I'm sure I have plants that are flowering at the moment that don't
normally at this time of year. I have one primrose and a couple of
bluebell plants that are flowering. My roses are still flowering and a
couple of them seem to be having a second or maybe third flowering
session and I'm sure this doesn't normally happen. Please tell me I'm
not alone and also that this won't affect flowering for next year.

You're not alone! Every year at this time of year we have a 'things are
flowering at the wrong time of year' thread ;-)

Except you're a bit late - we've already had this year's thread ;-)

Primroses often put up a few flowers at this time, and a lot of roses
have a repeat flowering. It won't upset things for next year.
--
Kay
Old 15-10-2006, 11:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Gail wrote
I'm sure I have plants that are flowering at the moment that don't
normally at this time of year. I have one primrose and a couple of
bluebell plants that are flowering. My roses are still flowering and a
couple of them seem to be having a second or maybe third flowering
session and I'm sure this doesn't normally happen. Please tell me I'm
not alone and also that this won't affect flowering for next year.

Not flowers, but our spring (April) cauliflowers and broccoli are both over
already and out Toscana kale is starting to bolt, going to be a poor spring
veg wise, and we have a Gladioli just coming into flower.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 15-10-2006, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

K wrote:
tom&barbara writes
I'm sure I have plants that are flowering at the moment that don't
normally at this time of year. I have one primrose and a couple of
bluebell plants that are flowering. My roses are still flowering and a
couple of them seem to be having a second or maybe third flowering
session and I'm sure this doesn't normally happen. Please tell me I'm
not alone and also that this won't affect flowering for next year.

You're not alone! Every year at this time of year we have a 'things are
flowering at the wrong time of year' thread ;-)

Except you're a bit late - we've already had this year's thread ;-)

Primroses often put up a few flowers at this time, and a lot of roses
have a repeat flowering. It won't upset things for next year.
--
Kay

Phew I am relieved! Didn't think to check previous posts for this
query. Thanks for replies everyone.

Gail

Old 15-10-2006, 11:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:
Not flowers, but our spring (April) cauliflowers and broccoli are both over
already and out Toscana kale is starting to bolt, going to be a poor spring
veg wise, and we have a Gladioli just coming into flower.

Well, I cannot remember my miscanthus sinensis zebrinus giving us not a
few but over 30 flowers in mid october, ever!! It is a record )

Old 15-10-2006, 11:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"tom&barbara" wrote in message

I'm sure I have plants that are flowering at the moment that don't
normally at this time of year. I have one primrose and a couple of
bluebell plants that are flowering. My roses are still flowering

and a
couple of them seem to be having a second or maybe third flowering
session and I'm sure this doesn't normally happen. Please tell me

I'm
not alone and also that this won't affect flowering for next year.

You must have had a good season. It certainly won't disturb your
roses. I live in Australia and in some parts here roses will pretty
much flower all year round - as plants, they just don't last as long
as they should as they get exhausted, which they don't where there is
a distinct cold winter and they can do the normal rose cycle.

Old 16-10-2006, 12:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

Bob Hobden wrote:
Not flowers, but our spring (April) cauliflowers and broccoli are both
over
already and out Toscana kale is starting to bolt, going to be a poor
spring
veg wise, and we have a Gladioli just coming into flower.

Well, I cannot remember my miscanthus sinensis zebrinus giving us not a
few but over 30 flowers in mid october, ever!! It is a record )

I have a trellis on the allotment which had sweet peas growing up it; when
they died down I meant to clear them but didn't get round to it.

Today I picked two sweet peas.

Steve

OT just wondered 'Mike' United Kingdom 0 17-09-2007 09:39 AM
Baby Goldfish.. shouldn't they, well be gold?? Gareee© Ponds 9 04-08-2005 07:00 PM
RFI: What should and shouldn't I "compost" Andyd Texas 1 26-07-2004 05:02 PM
[IBC] 'Pure Gold....' Update - Just in case you wondered richard patefield Bonsai 0 01-04-2004 06:58 PM
Sustainable Investments, should or shouldn't I Marcel Mol alt.forestry 0 21-05-2003 08:20 AM