Old 15-10-2006, 11:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Rose "Prince Igor"

Years ago, I found a rose label drifting in the rose bed unattached to
any rose. It said "Prince Igor".

I've been unable to find any information of this rose despite years of
looking. It's not in the Botanica or any of the other multiple rose
books I have. I've also tried google but get nothing but Stravinsky.

Does anyone know anything about this rose? I am wondering if it might
be a rich deep blood red rose that I can't identify (mind you, I also
have others but I think the name sounds more like a red than a pale
lemon one I can't identify)

Old 16-10-2006, 11:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/10/06 23:59, in article
, "Farm1"
please@askifyouwannaknow wrote:

Years ago, I found a rose label drifting in the rose bed unattached to
any rose. It said "Prince Igor".

I've been unable to find any information of this rose despite years of
looking. It's not in the Botanica or any of the other multiple rose
books I have. I've also tried google but get nothing but Stravinsky.

Does anyone know anything about this rose? I am wondering if it might
be a rich deep blood red rose that I can't identify (mind you, I also
have others but I think the name sounds more like a red than a pale
lemon one I can't identify)

Here you are, it's a Meilland bred rose:

http://www.hortico.com/roses/view.as...catno=FLPRNI10
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 16-10-2006, 11:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote:

Years ago, I found a rose label drifting in the rose bed

unattached to
any rose. It said "Prince Igor".

Here you are, it's a Meilland bred rose:

http://www.hortico.com/roses/view.as...catno=FLPRNI10

Thanks Sacha. That makes sense as the nursery that supplied the
plants for my garden for the original owners of my garden were heavily
into Meillands. And it IS red, just as I thought with a name like
that
:-))

Old 16-10-2006, 12:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/10/06 11:50, in article

"Sacha" wrote in message
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote:

Years ago, I found a rose label drifting in the rose bed

unattached to
any rose. It said "Prince Igor".

Here you are, it's a Meilland bred rose:

http://www.hortico.com/roses/view.as...catno=FLPRNI10

Thanks Sacha. That makes sense as the nursery that supplied the
plants for my garden for the original owners of my garden were heavily
into Meillands. And it IS red, just as I thought with a name like
that
:-))

Meilland developed the lovely Peace rose and if you haven't read the book
For Love of a Rose, I think you'd enjoy it very much.

Old 17-10-2006, 05:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote:

Thanks Sacha. That makes sense as the nursery that supplied the
plants for my garden for the original owners of my garden were

heavily
into Meillands. And it IS red, just as I thought with a name like
that
:-))

Meilland developed the lovely Peace rose and if you haven't read the

book
For Love of a Rose, I think you'd enjoy it very much.

Funny you should mention that, a friend has been trying to lend it to
me for ages! I've been saying 'no' as all I can cope with at the
moment is Lilian Beckwith and Miss Read. I'm still a bit Chemo fog
brained to read anything else.

Old 17-10-2006, 09:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/10/06 05:23, in article

"Sacha" wrote in message
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote:

Thanks Sacha. That makes sense as the nursery that supplied the
plants for my garden for the original owners of my garden were

heavily
into Meillands. And it IS red, just as I thought with a name like
that
:-))

Meilland developed the lovely Peace rose and if you haven't read the

book
For Love of a Rose, I think you'd enjoy it very much.

Funny you should mention that, a friend has been trying to lend it to
me for ages! I've been saying 'no' as all I can cope with at the
moment is Lilian Beckwith and Miss Read. I'm still a bit Chemo fog
brained to read anything else.

Funny - I had a 'Miss Read' phase the other day, prompted by the grand
daughter having a teacher called Miss Read! Amazing how 'cosy' that world
was but it really did exist and I think it a pity it's gone. I haven't read
Lilian Beckwith for yonks but I loved that affectionate and gentle look at
another way of life. Janet B might enjoy those, if she hasn't read them
already. Somewhat along the same lines - or perhaps just the overall 'feel'
of her books - I enjoy Maeve Binchy as entertaining reads.
I think you'd find For Love of a Rose fairly undemanding in terms of highs
and lows of emotion and it's not a book you have to 'study'.

Old 17-10-2006, 09:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/10/06 08:38, in article ,
"Jennifer Sparkes" wrote:

The message
from "Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow contains these words:

"Sacha" wrote in message

Meilland developed the lovely Peace rose and if you haven't read the

book
For Love of a Rose, I think you'd enjoy it very much.

Funny you should mention that, a friend has been trying to lend it to
me for ages! I've been saying 'no' as all I can cope with at the
moment is Lilian Beckwith and Miss Read. I'm still a bit Chemo fog
brained to read anything else.

I don't think you would have a problem. It is a lovely story in its own
right - even if one doesn't take on board all the history side of the story
first time round.

Sacha mentioned it a year or so back on urg and I bought it then.

.... now to whom did I lend it? Well obviously someone who has not
returned it. (

Jennifer - about to look on Amazon to see if she can get another copy.

I do hope you can! In fact, you've reminded me to remove my copy from the
tea room bookshelves. It's fairly hard to get now, though second hand
bookshops must get it from time to time. Last year, an extremely honest
customer came up to me to ask if he could buy my copy. He'd started to read
it while sitting in our garden, waiting for his wife to go round the
nursery. He was so hooked he didn't want to leave it behind. Regrettably,
I had to tell him I really couldn't part with it so he came back two or
three times to finish it!

Old 17-10-2006, 10:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message

Meilland developed the lovely Peace rose and if you haven't read

the
book
For Love of a Rose, I think you'd enjoy it very much.

Funny you should mention that, a friend has been trying to lend it

me for ages! I've been saying 'no' as all I can cope with at the
moment is Lilian Beckwith and Miss Read. I'm still a bit Chemo

fog
brained to read anything else.

I don't think you would have a problem. It is a lovely story in its

own
right - even if one doesn't take on board all the history side of

the story
first time round.

I'm sure I could read it but the trouble is retention at the moment.
I'd like to be able to remember it whereas it doesn't matter if I
forget the Miss Read or Lillian Beckwith content because I know I'll
reread them again in a few years time.

.... now to whom did I lend it? Well obviously someone who has

not
returned it. (

Isn't that a pain?

Black Prince Rose - Buds not opening Lonz72 Roses 1 18-09-2017 03:26 PM
Ivory Prince Lenten Rose Paddy's Pig[_3_] Garden Photos 1 26-02-2010 08:13 AM
Purple Prince Chilli SG1 Australia 0 05-04-2003 06:32 AM
Prince William Trish K. Gardening 0 03-03-2003 06:03 AM
Prince of Wales's interests Jane Lumley United Kingdom 2 24-01-2003 11:10 PM