Old 16-10-2006, 08:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Raspberries

Two or three dozen Autumn Bliss about 5 years old. As usual cut them back to
ground level after harvesting this year. Now they seem to think it's spring.
All plants are now growing to about 2 feet high. Should I (re)prune them to
ground level or let winter take its toll?
Alistair

Old 16-10-2006, 03:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Alistair Macdonald wrote:
Two or three dozen Autumn Bliss about 5 years old. As usual cut them back to
ground level after harvesting this year. Now they seem to think it's spring.
All plants are now growing to about 2 feet high. Should I (re)prune them to
ground level or let winter take its toll?

If they're Autumn Bliss then they should be prune late winter. I'll
leave them till then and then re-prune.

Old 16-10-2006, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

La Puce wrote:

If they're Autumn Bliss then they should be prune late winter. I'll
leave them till then and then re-prune.

Autumn Bliss can be pruned now

Old 16-10-2006, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

bluebell wrote:
Autumn Bliss can be pruned now

He's already pruned them - far too early in my opinion. We do ours in
late october/november - last year they went on the bonfire. So I
suggest he waits a bit, and re-prune them at the right time which is
usually late winter. The weather is so warm, we must delay things a bit.

Old 16-10-2006, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

La Puce wrote:
bluebell wrote:
Autumn Bliss can be pruned now

He's already pruned them - far too early in my opinion.

Yes he said that in his opening post did you not see this? I replied
saying he can reprune now

We do ours in
late october/november - last year they went on the bonfire. So I
suggest he waits a bit, and re-prune them at the right time which is
usually late winter.

They can be repruned now he not need to wait. Whyyou always have to
have the last word. my advice is goode and down to actual experience
and not always what is read in books

Old 16-10-2006, 04:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

bluebell wrote:
They can be repruned now he not need to wait. Whyyou always have to
have the last word. my advice is goode and down to actual experience
and not always what is read in books

Me too. Experience, I have very good. Me have rasberries in garden. Not
in books.

Old 16-10-2006, 04:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

La Puce wrote:
bluebell wrote:
They can be repruned now he not need to wait. Whyyou always have to
have the last word. my advice is goode and down to actual experience
and not always what is read in books

Me too. Experience, I have very good. Me have rasberries in garden. Not
in books.

I think you have a problem

Old 16-10-2006, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

bluebell wrote:
I think you have a problem

The first time you posted in this forum was to insult me on the
'Fighting ring this way' thread.

I tell you what. You win. There. Happy?

Old 16-10-2006, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

La Puce wrote:
bluebell wrote:
I think you have a problem

The first time you posted in this forum was to insult me on the
'Fighting ring this way' thread.

I tell you what. You win. There. Happy?

No insult intended you being abusive to people if you be nastry you
should take it on chin

rasberries like aurumn bliss always pruned in winter says books -
experience can say otherwise especially if weather conditions are not
normal

end of subject

Old 16-10-2006, 11:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"bluebell" wrote in message
ups.com...

La Puce wrote:
bluebell wrote:
They can be repruned now he not need to wait. Whyyou always have to
have the last word. my advice is goode and down to actual experience
and not always what is read in books

Me too. Experience, I have very good. Me have rasberries in garden. Not
in books.

I think you have a problem

The best you can do is to ignore her, then hopefully she will go away!

Alan

Old 17-10-2006, 02:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Alan Holmes wrote:
"bluebell" wrote in message
ups.com...

La Puce wrote:
bluebell wrote:
They can be repruned now he not need to wait. Whyyou always have to
have the last word. my advice is goode and down to actual experience
and not always what is read in books

Me too. Experience, I have very good. Me have rasberries in garden. Not
in books.

I think you have a problem

The best you can do is to ignore her, then hopefully she will go away!

Alan

thank you Alain but subject closed now

Old 17-10-2006, 02:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Alistair Macdonald wrote:
Two or three dozen Autumn Bliss about 5 years old. As usual cut them back to
ground level after harvesting this year. Now they seem to think it's spring.
All plants are now growing to about 2 feet high. Should I (re)prune them to
ground level or let winter take its toll?

When did you prune? Ours are still fruiting, and will be, given
semi-decent weather, until into November. I usually prune my autumn rasps
in January. They seem to do well on this regime.

Jim
Wakefield west Yorks

Old 17-10-2006, 03:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks for the dozen or so answers to my query. A summary would suggest
that -
1. I pruned at the wrong time (September)
2. The new "Spring" growth should be left until January/February then
pruned.
3. In future do not prune until Jan/Feb
Alistair

Yields of raspberries and blueberries WCD Edible Gardening 0 14-05-2003 07:44 PM
Asparagus and raspberries..will they coexist? Scott Edible Gardening 1 13-05-2003 12:56 PM
Blueberries and Raspberries Bob Lawns 0 27-04-2003 01:44 PM
Thorn-free raspberries? Minteeleaf Edible Gardening 2 14-02-2003 04:27 PM
How do I grow raspberries and blueberries? lcain Edible Gardening 5 11-02-2003 04:25 AM