Old 17-10-2006, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
H H is offline

Default Tomatos splitting

Hi,

I have had a problem this year with my Tomatos splitting, can anyone explain
why this has been happening.

Thanks.

H.

Old 17-10-2006, 07:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"H" wrote in message
Hi,

I have had a problem this year with my Tomatos splitting, can anyone
explain why this has been happening.

Thanks.

H.

Usually the result of a lack of water followed by too much IMO.
Andy.

Old 17-10-2006, 07:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Andy wrote:
"H" wrote in message
I have had a problem this year with my Tomatos splitting, can anyone
explain why this has been happening.

Usually the result of a lack of water followed by too much IMO.

Yep. It's hard not to do - I did it a few times thinking that the toms
weren't ready. To be honest I can't think when I haven't have some
spliting! I try not to mind and use them in soups or bake them.

Old 17-10-2006, 08:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 19:03:47 +0100, "H"
wrote and included this (or some of this):

Hi,

I have had a problem this year with my Tomatos splitting, can anyone explain
why this has been happening.

Thanks.

Your jeans are too tight.

HTH

--
®óñ© © ² * ¹°°³
Old 17-10-2006, 09:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I have had a problem this year with my Tomatos splitting, can anyone
explain
why this has been happening.

Thanks.

Your jeans are too tight.

HTH

--
®óñ© © ² * ¹°°³

He said his Tomatos not his Taters

Old 17-10-2006, 10:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Andy" wrote in message

"H" wrote in message
Hi,

I have had a problem this year with my Tomatos splitting, can anyone
explain why this has been happening.

Thanks.

H.

Usually the result of a lack of water followed by too much IMO.

I wanted to say that, you bounder!

Alan

Andy.

Old 18-10-2006, 01:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Andy" contains these words:

"H" wrote in message
Hi,

I have had a problem this year with my Tomatos splitting, can anyone
explain why this has been happening.

Thanks.

H.

Usually the result of a lack of water followed by too much IMO.
Andy.

Yes and some varieties seem much mre prone to this than others. Sungold
which is excellent, I find, in every other way, splits a lot. Sometimes,
if they're OK when you pick them they have split a few hours later.

Janet G
Old 18-10-2006, 10:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Hi,

I have had a problem this year with my Tomatos splitting, can anyone explain
why this has been happening.

Yes some varieties split more than others but it is caused by
irregular watering and too much heat.
When they are a bit dry, growth and fruit-swelling slow down, the
skins toughen a bit, and then when they take up more water, the fruit
swell and hey presto, the skins split.

Pam in Bristol
Old 18-10-2006, 10:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"H" wrote in message
Hi,

I have had a problem this year with my Tomatos splitting, can anyone
explain why this has been happening.

Thanks.

H.

Usually the result of a lack of water followed by too much IMO.
Andy.

Yes and some varieties seem much mre prone to this than others. Sungold
which is excellent, I find, in every other way, splits a lot. Sometimes,
if they're OK when you pick them they have split a few hours later.

I should have read this before I sent in my two pennorth!

Mary

Janet G

Old 18-10-2006, 10:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 10:53:19 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

That's right. Almost ALL the Sungold ones in the greenhouse split but none
of the other (four) varieties including Tigerella stayed complete. They all
had exactly the same treatment - continuously watered by a leaky pipe
underground (from a butt).

I didn't mind - it meant that they had to be eaten immediately and the
flavour was divine!

Yes same here. Vwery few of my Sungold got home from the allotment.
They got eaten right there, because they had split, but mine were
outside, and not watered regularly like yours.

Pam in Bristol