GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Autumn Bliss Advice please (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/150407-autumn-bliss-advice-please.html)

[email protected] 17-10-2006 07:54 PM

Autumn Bliss Advice please

Within the next few days I will have to lift my Autumn Bliss due to
major work on a nearby fence.
They have been in situ for about 7 years and have begun to tail of
in cropping, probably due to congestion.

Should I a) scrap them and plant new next year
b) select the best and replant immediately
c) select the best canes, save and replant next year
or possibly do something else with them that I have not thought of.

Your advice would be appreciated as I would hate to be without
these delicious raspberries.

Brian

Jim Jackson 18-10-2006 08:41 PM

Autumn Bliss Advice please

wrote:
Within the next few days I will have to lift my Autumn Bliss due to
major work on a nearby fence.
They have been in situ for about 7 years and have begun to tail of
in cropping, probably due to congestion.

Should I a) scrap them and plant new next year
b) select the best and replant immediately

this, but replant in a different location. Try and take a good ball of
soil as they are will be yet dormant.

c) select the best canes, save and replant next year
or possibly do something else with them that I have not thought of.

Your advice would be appreciated as I would hate to be without
these delicious raspberries.

They are nice, but not the best. However those that are better are summer
fruiting :-) (Leo)

Jim

[email protected] 19-10-2006 09:08 PM

Autumn Bliss Advice please

Thanks Jim, I will follow your advice and replant elsewhere as soon as the
ground dries out a bit. It has been raining heavily.
We will have to differ on Autumn Bliss - I think they have the best flavour
and their prolonged fruiting season suits us just fine.

Thanks again Brian

Jim Jackson 19-10-2006 10:58 PM

Autumn Bliss Advice please

wrote:
Thanks Jim, I will follow your advice and replant elsewhere as soon as the
ground dries out a bit. It has been raining heavily.
We will have to differ on Autumn Bliss - I think they have the best flavour
and their prolonged fruiting season suits us just fine.

Have you tasted Leo ? If I could find an autumn raspberry with that taste
I'd be using that. All the autumn raspberries have the advantage of the
prolonged fruiting season. I also grow the yellow autumn rapsberry
- AllGold - that has an even more prolonged fruiting season, it tends to
start earlier than Autumn Bliss.

Did you know you can prolong Autumn Bliss's fruiting season even more, by
leaving any of this years canes that have not fruited or have only
partially fruited. These will grow fruiting side shoots next year in late
June and into July. I leave a few canes like this, because while I don't
think it is the BEST flavour it is very very good and a few berries early
on is a pleasant treat in late June.

All the best with the move.
Jim