Old 18-10-2006, 08:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default A great loss to urg

Janet Baraclough wrote:

Those who stood by and said nothing should be ashamed,

The best way to deal with hostile people is to ignore them. I missed all
the acrimony, because as soon as a thread wanders off into invectiveland, I
flag it "ignore."
So don't complain that I didn't support people when all I did is refuse to
enter an existing brawl.

Just my US$.02 worth.

Old 18-10-2006, 09:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message

I am extremely sorry to read in the raspberries thread that two of its
most longterm contributors, Judith Lea and Sacha Hubbard have left urg
because they are no longer prepared to tolerate the appalling level of
lies, abuse, and threats made against them.

Those who stood by and said nothing should be ashamed, particularly
those who counted both as friends in real life, or have been the
recipients of their legendary generosity with plants, time and
hospitality.

I was not aware that both of these people have stopped subscribing to URG,
and I have to say I did try to help, the biggest problem was that they did
not just ignore the abuse.

Alan

Janet

Old 18-10-2006, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mike" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

unless we start another ng and all of us carefully screen out who we read
and answer.

Which is what Hubbard always wanted, a newsgroup 'of her own'. She felt
that as she had been here from the year 'dot' and had lessons from Adam,
THIS was her newsgroup.

WRONG

How the hell can I killfile this idiot, I can't just put stop Mike, cos
there is another Mike who contributes to nesgroups, who seems to be more
sensible.

Alan

Old 18-10-2006, 09:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"michael adams" wrote in message

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message

I am extremely sorry to read in the raspberries thread that two of its
most longterm contributors, Judith Lea and Sacha Hubbard have left urg
because they are no longer prepared to tolerate the appalling level of
lies, abuse, and threats made against them.

Those who stood by and said nothing should be ashamed, particularly
those who counted both as friends in real life, or have been the
recipients of their legendary generosity with plants, time and
hospitality.

Janet

Anyone who posts on Newsgroups for any length of time, should learn
how to set up a kill-file, without necessarily announcing it to the
world.

Attention seekers such as Puce are not going to be made to go away,
simply by virtue of all the regulars simply queuing up and telling
them how obnoxious they are. In fact precisely the opposite. They
know that already, and are being obnoxious on purpose. And they will stoop
to any depths to get a reaction of some kind. The more reaction they
can get, the happier they will be. People like Puce, latch on to people
who are easily wound-up and stick to them like limpets. So long as they
can get a response of any kind.

The only answer to such people is simply to ignore them. And the
only way to be sure of ignoring them, and avoiding the temptation to
have just one more read and get upset all over again, is simply to
killfile them behind their backs.

But, as I've said in another post, how can you killfile someone who uses the
same name as someone else?

Alan

michael adams

Old 18-10-2006, 09:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nemo" wrote in message
On 18 Oct 2006 10:36:33 -0700, "DavePoole Torquay"
wrote:

I've been here for
around 9 or 10 years and always thought of it as a homely place - first
and last call of the day, if you see what I mean. It really has become
sorely tainted by a few malevolent, twisted and utterly nauseous
posters. Incursions from x posters who delight in trying to offend
with foul language and obscenities are another problem. There are
better places to be and that's where I'm going. Bye.

Why not stay and help to make it a better place?

!PLONK!

Nemm

Old 18-10-2006, 09:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Alan Holmes wrote:
How the hell can I killfile this idiot, I can't just put stop Mike, cos
there is another Mike who contributes to nesgroups, who seems to be more
sensible.

Enter the address, not only the name.

Old 18-10-2006, 09:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Alan Holmes writes

"Mike" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

How the hell can I killfile this idiot, I can't just put stop Mike, cos
there is another Mike who contributes to nesgroups, who seems to be more
sensible.

Your software will sort that out. For example, hitting 'kill' in
turnpike gives the choice of killing author, subject or thread, and if
you choose author, it will kill that specific poster from that specific
address. In other words, I could kill you, but still see posts from
other Alans. Downside is that if you were to start posting from a
different address, I'd have to kill you all over again.
--
Kay
Old 18-10-2006, 09:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

[...]

It appears you're posting using Outlook Express.

In the main Oulook Express Window, in the right hand pane click on
any post by the person you want to killfile - open it first to be
sure it's the correct person - although Mike Lyle always shows as
Mike Lyle in any case. Unlike the other character who you want to
kill file.

Then in the menus along the top select [ Message ]

Then in the drop down menu select [ block sender ]

That's it. Job done.

People who use other Newsreaders such as Forte will probably need
to do something similar.

michael adams

Old 18-10-2006, 11:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Baraclough" wrote

I am extremely sorry to read in the raspberries thread that two of its
most longterm contributors, Judith Lea and Sacha Hubbard have left urg
because they are no longer prepared to tolerate the appalling level of
lies, abuse, and threats made against them.

Those who stood by and said nothing should be ashamed, particularly
those who counted both as friends in real life, or have been the
recipients of their legendary generosity with plants, time and
hospitality.

I have not followed the "Raspberry " thread and anyway like others around
here I "turn off" at the first sign of personal fighting, life's too short
and too much of a struggle already, so this is the first I've heard of this
tragedy.

The leaving of both Sacha (with Ray in the background too) and Judith will
be a great loss to URG and internet gardening in general, and now Dave Poole
intimates he is going too. How many more experienced and knowledgeable
gardeners are to be driven out, sad day, very sad day.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 18-10-2006, 11:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Janet Baraclough" wrote

[...]

All these people who've signalled their intention to leave have
no doubt got plenty of friends on this NewsGroup, who will be happy
to email them I'm sure, once this present pestilence is past.

michael adams

Regards
Bob H
17mls W. of London.UK

Old 19-10-2006, 01:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mike" wrote in message

Which is what Hubbard always wanted, a newsgroup 'of her own'. She

felt that
as she had been here from the year 'dot' and had lessons from Adam,

THIS was
her newsgroup.

You really are a most nasty piece of work. A vinegar mouthed, one
eyed, oxygen thief.

Old 19-10-2006, 01:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mike" wrote in message

WRONG

How the hell can I killfile this idiot, I can't just put stop Mike,

cos
there is another Mike who contributes to nesgroups, who seems to be

more
sensible.

I've just plonked the moron. The way I did it was lazy and easy was
which is to go to "Messages" at the top of the screen and to then hit
"block sender". I'll see no more crap from him BUT, if there is
another poster who uses the name " then I also
won't see any posts from them either. If I wanted to block only the
nasty Naval Mike then I'd have to go into my proper kill file and
enter more info.

Old 19-10-2006, 06:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Anne Jackson" wrote
Well, I hope Sacha and Judith reconsider. I'm sure they're made of
sterner
stuff; at least I would hope they are!
AnneJ

Seconded :~)
Jenny

Old 19-10-2006, 08:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Anne Jackson" wrote in message

Well, I hope Sacha and Judith reconsider. I'm sure they're made of
sterner
stuff; at least I would hope they are!

Not a case of being made of 'sterner stuff,' if they were they would have
ignored the trouble maker, it's a case of 'owning' the newsgroup. Hubbard
will be back, you mark my words.

Mike
The truth will prevail

--
.................................................. .........
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 19-10-2006, 08:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , JennyC
writes

"Anne Jackson" wrote
Well, I hope Sacha and Judith reconsider. I'm sure they're made of
sterner
stuff; at least I would hope they are!
AnneJ

Seconded :~)
Jenny

Ditto. As one who only has time (I usually work 12/7...) to leap in and
out on topics that are topical for me at the moment I have little idea
of what brought this about - but I am truly sad that such long-standing,
knowledgeable contributors (some of whom have been of such great help to
me in the past) would consider leaving.
I don't suppose any of them will see this, but I would like to add my
sincere hope that they reconsider.
--
Klara, Gatwick basin