Old 20-10-2006, 07:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default A great loss to urg

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

And your point is!

I think the ! should be a ? if you want it to make any sense.

--
Brian

Old 20-10-2006, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Alan Holmes writes

"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message
"Alan Holmes" wrote in message
"Mike" wrote in message

WRONG

How the hell can I killfile this idiot, I can't just put stop Mike,

cos
there is another Mike who contributes to nesgroups, who seems to be

more
sensible.

I've just plonked the moron. The way I did it was lazy and easy was
which is to go to "Messages" at the top of the screen and to then hit
"block sender". I'll see no more crap from him BUT, if there is
another poster who uses the name " then I also
won't see any posts from them either. If I wanted to block only the
nasty Naval Mike then I'd have to go into my proper kill file and
enter more info.

That is the problem as I see it, I can't see how it is possible to block one
'Mike' and let the others through!(:-(

Because he is " or some such, and that is different from
".

If these can't be distinguished, then your email inbox would be jam
packed each night with thousands of emails to all the other Alans across
the world.

Look - just try it. Kill the offending Mike, then see if you get posts
from the other Mikes over the next few days. If it doesn't work, you can
un-kill Mike and request any articles you've missed. You have nothing to
lose!

You could even post here your intention to do this, and ask the other
Mikes if they'd kindly post some test posts to make sure you can still
read them.

Plese, just do it and stop agonising! ;-)
--
Kay
Old 20-10-2006, 10:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mike" wrote in message

[...]

Nasty Naval Mike uses the adress . Nice Mike uses
the adress . See the difference? So you if
do what I said to the first adress you'll only kill Nasty Naval Mike
and not Nice Mike.

Thanks for that, will do.

Alan

Old 20-10-2006, 10:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mike" wrote in message

[...]

I tried to do this using the 'Bklock sender' routin, but instead of putting
the name of the person I was trying to block, I had to enter it, and I
couldn't see exactly what his address was!

But I hope this has been cleared up now.

I was getting quite worked up about it, couldn't sleep at night, and walking
around with a long face all day, longer that usual that is!(:-)

Alan

--
Kay

Old 20-10-2006, 11:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Space" wrote in message

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

Please, please, please, ignore him, do not rise to the bait, that is what
he, and other enjoy, that people respond to them.

now now alan - play by your own rules. you have made 12 posts in the last
half hour. 9 posts are prolonging these pathetic threads.

there, now you've done it!! now I am adding to it again!

Naughty, naughty, go and stand in the corner!

Alan

Old 20-10-2006, 11:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Space" wrote in message

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

Please, please, please, ignore him, do not rise to the bait, that is what
he, and other enjoy, that people respond to them.

now now alan - play by your own rules. you have made 12 posts in the last
half hour. 9 posts are prolonging these pathetic threads.

there, now you've done it!! now I am adding to it again!

On second thoughts should I block that Alan Holmes?

Alan

Old 21-10-2006, 11:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message .com,
DavePoole Torquay writes
Janet wrote:
I am extremely sorry to read in the raspberries thread that two of its
most longterm contributors, Judith Lea and Sacha Hubbard have left urg
because they are no longer prepared to tolerate the appalling level of
lies, abuse, and threats made against them.

I was gobsmacked to learn of this. I'm highly selective in the threads
that I read and tend to look at very few. If I see that any are
started or contain 'contributions' from some notorious posters, I
usually leave them well alone and do not return to them. Raspberries do
not fall within spheres of interest for me and it is only your posting
that has caused me to have a look. I then delved further to find other
bits of extreme unpleasantry caused by attacks from the same sources.

It saddens me to see this kind of thing happening on URG. We've had a
few spats in the past, but nothing like this. I've been here for
around 9 or 10 years and always thought of it as a homely place - first
and last call of the day, if you see what I mean. It really has become
sorely tainted by a few malevolent, twisted and utterly nauseous
posters. Incursions from x posters who delight in trying to offend
with foul language and obscenities are another problem. There are
better places to be and that's where I'm going. Bye.

Dave

Of all the contributors to urg over the years I have found you to be
amongst the most helpful and undoubtedly the most knowledgeable
concerning exotic flora. It would be a great shame for many if you no
longer dropped in and picked up any threads of interest.

I have decided to extend my killfile and sit it out for a while.

--
Robert
Old 21-10-2006, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Janet Baraclough
writes

Those who stood by and said nothing should be ashamed, particularly
those who counted both as friends in real life, or have been the
recipients of their legendary generosity with plants, time and
hospitality.

Janet

I value Sacha's contribution Janet, but sometime ago I blacklisted the
two or three contributors who were ruining this group and as soon as I
see them mentioned in threads I now kill the thread rather than read it.

I have no wish to read spurious comments about Sacha or you and for my
part have valued and enjoyed the emails and the correspondence that I
have had with both of you. I learn a lot from those on this Group who
are happy to share their in depth knowledge and friendship.

To say we would be losing two invaluable contributors to this group
would be an understatement and I hope both will reconsider or we have
succumbed to losing this group to those who have not got "gardening " at
heart!

I am not sure why she has decided to leave, as I cannot find any threads
that mention it, but Demon doesn't show emails that are either killed or
blacklisted.

Janet

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 21-10-2006, 03:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article
, Farm1
writes

Nasty Naval Mike uses the adress . Nice Mike uses
the adress . See the difference?

But why? If he's sensible why doesn't he use something easier to accept
so it can by-pass the killfiles?

Old 22-10-2006, 08:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article
, Farm1
writes

I don't understand what you mean by this comment. My killfile works
only if I put the right offender into it Nice Mike I've kept out of
my killfile but I've binned Nasty Mike. Alan can do the same now he
knows how to differentiate between the two. Does your killfile work
in a different way?

One poster said that he couldn't differentiate between the 2 Mike's that
had the similar "not@this place" addresses. That being the case, and if
the GOOD Mike wanted to be read, I wondered why he couldn't choose
something less similar so that there was no confusion and he would not
be killfiled?

Turnpike seems to work fine for me with killing either thread, subject,
author etc. It would differentiate between the two addresses.

Janet

Old 22-10-2006, 09:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
[...]

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery :-))

DO have a nice day :-))

Mike
The honest one
The truth will prevail

--
.................................................. .........
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 22-10-2006, 01:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

I'm with you now but I do think that's a bit of a fine distinction.
The only similarities in the addys of the 2 Mikes was a "not@" One
word and a symbol doesn't rate as being much of a similarity IMHO.

Old 22-10-2006, 02:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

Well it would seem I have, finally, succeded in killing Nasty Mike,

but I
haven't seen any posts from Nice Mike, so I have yet to see whether

that has
happened!

I saw a post from Nice Mike after I killfiled Nasty Naval Mike but I
haven't seen a new post from Nice Mike since then. Perhaps Nice Mike
is off at the pub or in his garden.