Old 19-10-2006, 11:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Should I have a Health and safety warning on my garden?

Whilst trying to collet all the walnuts which were falling like rain this
morning, on fell on my head, as councils are stopping people walking under
conker trees in case conkers fall on their heads, should I refrain from
walking under the walnut?

Alan

Old 20-10-2006, 12:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan Holmes" wrote
Whilst trying to collet all the walnuts which were falling like rain
this morning, on fell on my head, as councils are stopping people
walking under conker trees in case conkers fall on their heads, should
I refrain from walking under the walnut?

http://www.tooled-up.com/static/HardHats.asp

;-)

--
Sue

Old 20-10-2006, 12:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sue wrote:
"Alan Holmes" wrote
Whilst trying to collet all the walnuts which were falling like rain
this morning, on fell on my head, as councils are stopping people
walking under conker trees in case conkers fall on their heads,
should I refrain from walking under the walnut?

http://www.tooled-up.com/static/HardHats.asp

;-)

Ha!

We should be so lucky!

The neighbours have a walnut tree 60 cm from the joint fence, 40ft high,
always with a tremendous (potential) crop, but every year the bloody
squirrels coming over a single weekend and take the whole bloody lot at the
"white skin stage"

pk

Old 20-10-2006, 01:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"p.k." wrote
Sue wrote:
http://www.tooled-up.com/static/HardHats.asp

;-)

Ha!

We should be so lucky!

The neighbours have a walnut tree 60 cm from the joint fence, 40ft
high, always with a tremendous (potential) crop, but every year the
bloody squirrels coming over a single weekend and take the whole
bloody lot at the "white skin stage"

They do that with my hazelnuts. Each year I determine to get there first
but they always beat me to it.

It's not as if they even went to the trouble of either eating them all
or burying them this year. While I was weeding I found several dozen
left in a heap among a patch of campanula glomerata.

--
Sue

Old 20-10-2006, 05:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

Whilst trying to collet all the walnuts which were falling like rain this
morning, on fell on my head, as councils are stopping people walking under
conker trees in case conkers fall on their heads, should I refrain from
walking under the walnut?
Alan

In France they are very careful NOT to walk, sit or camp under walnut trees.
We were going to set up out tent under the big one in our friends garden
(for the shade) but very advised against it. Seems that the branches fall of
easily as well !

Jenny

Old 20-10-2006, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

If you knowingly knew that there was a potential hazard in your
garden, and a visitor was not made aware of the hazard.

Then yes you would be liable for injury, just as if you had known that
a branch was broken and it had fell off and landed on the roof of a
car.

So in this day and age the council is probably right, and cordoned off
the tree, and attempted to remove the hazard.

Do you want to be sued for $$$$$$.

I think a sign on the gate would be adequate ??

Old 20-10-2006, 02:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"farmer_giles" wrote
Do you want to be sued for $$$$$$.

Good job Sir Isaac wasn't a litigious American.

I think a sign on the gate would be adequate ??

"Bewa vicious Walnuts".

--
Sue

Old 20-10-2006, 02:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Sue wrote:
"farmer_giles" wrote
Do you want to be sued for $$$$$$.

Good job Sir Isaac wasn't a litigious American.

At last an chance to repeat a quotation from an American whose name I
now forget: "You may hate gravity; but gravity doesn't care."

--
Mike.

Old 20-10-2006, 07:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

Whilst trying to collet all the walnuts which were falling like rain this
morning, on fell on my head, as councils are stopping people walking under
conker trees in case conkers fall on their heads, should I refrain from
walking under the walnut?

Alan
Carry out a full site specific risk assessment and hand to everyone who
may be visiting your garden.

Supply safety gear or b3etter still make sure they have, and use, their
own, and provide method statements which lists the safety measures they
intend to take. That way you cannot be sued for providing faulty or ill
fitting safety equipment
On the other hand
"dont sit under the apple (walnut)tree" whoops showing my age, and call in
the monty python team.
at least you wont have to climb to pick walnuts.
with tongue in cheek
regards
Cineman

Old 20-10-2006, 10:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 06:55:19 +0200, "JennyC"
wrote:

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

Whilst trying to collet all the walnuts which were falling like rain
this
morning, on fell on my head, as councils are stopping people walking
under
conker trees in case conkers fall on their heads, should I refrain from
walking under the walnut?
Alan

In France they are very careful NOT to walk, sit or camp under walnut
trees.
We were going to set up out tent under the big one in our friends garden
(for the shade) but very advised against it. Seems that the branches fall
of
easily as well !

We had a large walnut tree in our garden when I was a kid, Google
Earth shows that it is still there. I don't recall any branches
falling off. When the walnuts fall they are still covered in a green
skin.

Not all the time, mine are falling as pure nuts at the moment, and usually
do, there are a few, not yet developed, which fall within the husk.

I have no recollections of ever having been hit by a falling
walnut,

It is the first time ever that this has happened to me!

Whether it is an omen I do not know!(:-)

on the other hand I have been hit by one of the neighbours
falling apples. Why do people leave fruit on the trees in their
gardens until it rots?

Perhaps, because it is sometimes not easy to pick them all, they could be
out of reach, and as you were hit by some falling, that sounds the most
logical reason.

I'm sure they would be only too happy to let you pick some!

Alan

--

Martin

Old 20-10-2006, 10:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"farmer_giles" wrote in message
If you knowingly knew that there was a potential hazard in your
garden, and a visitor was not made aware of the hazard.

It's not so much the danger that a visitor had been hit, but protecting
myself from serious injury from a falling nut which concerns me!

Alan

Old 20-10-2006, 10:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sue" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"p.k." wrote
Sue wrote:
http://www.tooled-up.com/static/HardHats.asp

;-)

Ha!

We should be so lucky!

The neighbours have a walnut tree 60 cm from the joint fence, 40ft
high, always with a tremendous (potential) crop, but every year the
bloody squirrels coming over a single weekend and take the whole
bloody lot at the "white skin stage"

They do that with my hazelnuts. Each year I determine to get there first
but they always beat me to it.

It's not as if they even went to the trouble of either eating them all
or burying them this year. While I was weeding I found several dozen
left in a heap among a patch of campanula glomerata.

there is only one way to deal wiht the tree rats, and that is to catch them
and dispose of them.

Once dead, if you have foxes about, just leave the carcase and the fox will
remove it.

Alan

--
Sue

Old 20-10-2006, 10:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JennyC" wrote in message

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

Whilst trying to collet all the walnuts which were falling like rain this
morning, on fell on my head, as councils are stopping people walking
under conker trees in case conkers fall on their heads, should I refrain
from walking under the walnut?
Alan

In France they are very careful NOT to walk, sit or camp under walnut
trees. We were going to set up out tent under the big one in our friends
garden (for the shade) but very advised against it. Seems that the
branches fall of easily as well !

I did find a small branch which had fallen, it was fairly well rotted so it
must have been dead for a long time.

Alan

Jenny

Old 20-10-2006, 11:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Alan Holmes
writes

It's not so much the danger that a visitor had been hit, but protecting
myself from serious injury from a falling nut which concerns me!

Would any owner of a sweet chestnut tree care to comment?

--
Sue ];(
Old 21-10-2006, 03:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

What about a monkey puzzle tree and its seed cluster ??

Would any owner of a sweet chestnut tree care to comment?