Old 22-10-2006, 10:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What plants would you take with you if you moved house.....

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

"JennyC" wrote in message

What favourite plant would you not be able to live without, providing the
conditions were suitable in the new garden...?

--
Jenny (the Netherlands)
remove squirrel to reply

One of the hardest questions to ask any gardener! Have to say it would
depend on when you asked me as my favourites tend to change when I am
looking at something, right now I couldn't be without Hedychium greenii
and
Cassia corymbosa, but if I couldn't have more than one plant, well then I
wouldn't move! took 3 lorries to get us here and most of that was garden
stuff.
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.

LOL :~))

I remember AlanT saying that he wanted to start afresh when he moved a while
ago.
I wonder if HE took any plants with him ?

Foud this
(http://www.bbc.co.uk/suffolk/content..._feature.shtml)
We dived into the interview almost instantly. I'm afraid to say that my
questioning fell into the sadly predictable category, I asked him about his
favourite bits of the filming of the British Isles series, how his new
garden is shaping up, if he misses his old garden at Barleywood, and what
his plans are for the future. But I did get some interesting gems out of
him, like the fact that he's looked over the fence to see how the new owners
are taking care of Barleywood and couldn't resist taking a cutting from a
plant he regretted leaving behind. (I'm sure the new owners wouldn't mind
Alan, after all, they'd know the cutting was taken properly).

Jenny

Old 22-10-2006, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , JennyC
writes

I am :~)
I love the flowers. I don't have one ATM. could you tell me why it's
unattractive? I might need to review it OR put it down the end of the garden
so I can just use it for cut flowers......
Jenny

It does grow into a wild sort of bush, the leaves are nothing much and
the plant grows from the base, well you know what I mean

I could never see the flowers very clearly and hacking it back every
spring made for an unsightly clump of cut stems.
Didn't smell and birds etc never seemed to take much notice of it, not
even pheasants.
I'll see if I have any bits left that are rooted as I cleared most out
because no one wanted them.

janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 22-10-2006, 12:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
[...]

The Leycesteria appreciation society are about to issue a writ:-)
A superb good doer. Flowers, berries, nice leaf shape and colour-what else
do you want. Blackbirds love the berries and the Gold finches eat the seeds
in spring.
Available also in a golden/yellow form.
As if that is not enough the berries are delicious and taste of toffee.

Old 22-10-2006, 01:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote
"Janet Tweedy" wrote

JennyC writes
It does grow into a wild sort of bush, the leaves are nothing much and
the plant grows from the base, well you know what I mean

I could never see the flowers very clearly and hacking it back every
spring made for an unsightly clump of cut stems.
Didn't smell and birds etc never seemed to take much notice of it, not
even pheasants.
I'll see if I have any bits left that are rooted as I cleared most out
because no one wanted them.

janet

The Leycesteria appreciation society are about to issue a writ:-)
A superb good doer. Flowers, berries, nice leaf shape and colour-what else
do you want. Blackbirds love the berries and the Gold finches eat the
seeds in spring.
Available also in a golden/yellow form.
As if that is not enough the berries are delicious and taste of toffee.

Just to make sure we are all talking about the same thing;
http://www.joycreek.com/104-001D4.htm

jenny

Old 22-10-2006, 01:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" writes

The Leycesteria appreciation society are about to issue a writ:-)
A superb good doer. Flowers, berries, nice leaf shape and colour-what else
do you want. Blackbirds love the berries and the Gold finches eat the seeds
in spring.
Available also in a golden/yellow form.
As if that is not enough the berries are delicious and taste of toffee.

And it spreads everywhere! Almost as bad as Alchemilla mollis.
--
Kay

Old 22-10-2006, 01:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JennyC" wrote in message
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message

My parahebe (took me 10 years to find out that it was even called

that
and I've ony ever seen it growing in gardens where I've lived or

where
I've given it to the garden owner).

..........google............OH !
This one?

http://www.rainyside.com/features/pl...ls/Parahebe_pe
rfoliata.html

Most like this one than the others on the other cite you gave
(although not all of the pics came up - I'd been to that site before
to try to identify it). Mine however has leaves which are finely
lobed and the flowers are a paler lilac colour than the one in the
pic.

Old 22-10-2006, 02:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote
http://www.rainyside.com/features/plant_gallery/perennials/Parahebe_perfoliata.html

Most like this one than the others on the other cite you gave
(although not all of the pics came up - I'd been to that site before
to try to identify it). Mine however has leaves which are finely
lobed and the flowers are a paler lilac colour than the one in the
pic.

I have a low growing white flowered shrubby parahebe that's pretty much
evergreen, but I'm not sure what variety it is.

And I did have a young plant of this one until our very dry summer this
year did for it. Will have to try again next year.
http://www.farmyardnurseries.co.uk/herbac/parahe1.htm

--
Sue

Old 22-10-2006, 03:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote
"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" writes

The Leycesteria appreciation society are about to issue a writ:-)
A superb good doer. Flowers, berries, nice leaf shape and colour-what
else do you want. Blackbirds love the berries and the Gold finches eat
the seeds in spring. Available also in a golden/yellow form.
As if that is not enough the berries are delicious and taste of
toffee.

And it spreads everywhere! Almost as bad as Alchemilla mollis.

A German friend calls it 'Peasant Berry' - which could be why she
thought I ought to have one of her seedling plants!

I saw a golden leaved form last year and thought it prettier than the
ordinary one. Is it possible there are different forms of the plain
green sort? Because some people do seem to get much better flowers on
theirs than others.

--
Sue

Old 22-10-2006, 03:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , JennyC
writes

What favourite plant would you not be able to live without, providing
the conditions were suitable in the new garden...?

In my case I think it would have to be the irreplacable plants - for
example the variegated sport of Lavatera x clementii 'Barnsley' and the
pink-flowered sport of Alcea x Althaea 'Park Allee'. (Perhaps in these
cases my opinion would be different when I've grown them long enough to
evaluate them.)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 22-10-2006, 04:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , JennyC
writes

What favourite plant would you not be able to live without, providing the
conditions were suitable in the new garden...?

In my case I think it would have to be the irreplacable plants - for
example the variegated sport of Lavatera x clementii 'Barnsley' and the
pink-flowered sport of Alcea x Althaea 'Park Allee'. (Perhaps in these
cases my opinion would be different when I've grown them long enough to
evaluate them.)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Ah :~))
http://www.malvaceae.info/
Jenny

Old 22-10-2006, 04:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes:

| In my case I think it would have to be the irreplacable plants - for
| example the variegated sport of Lavatera x clementii 'Barnsley' and the
| pink-flowered sport of Alcea x Althaea 'Park Allee'. (Perhaps in these
| cases my opinion would be different when I've grown them long enough to
| evaluate them.)

Yes. Like my Berberis vulgaris "asperma", which the national collection
does not have :-) But I would have hell propagating it, as the deciduous
Berberis rarely take from cuttings, and the few seeds it produces will
produce plants that will probably not be largely seedless ....

But also the ones I got from relatives, though those ARE easier to
propagate.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 22-10-2006, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Janet there is a beautiful gold leafed form well worth a space!

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 22-10-2006, 05:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JennyC" wrote in message

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote
"Janet Tweedy" wrote

JennyC writes
[...]

Yes that's it--more or less. The leaves on mine look slightly different.
Do you wish to retract your rotten comments about this super shrub?:-)))

Old 22-10-2006, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sue" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"K" wrote
"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" writes

The Leycesteria appreciation society are about to issue a writ:-)
A superb good doer. Flowers, berries, nice leaf shape and colour-what
else do you want. Blackbirds love the berries and the Gold finches eat
the seeds in spring. Available also in a golden/yellow form.
As if that is not enough the berries are delicious and taste of
toffee.

And it spreads everywhere! Almost as bad as Alchemilla mollis.

A German friend calls it 'Peasant Berry' - which could be why she
thought I ought to have one of her seedling plants!

I saw a golden leaved form last year and thought it prettier than the
ordinary one. Is it possible there are different forms of the plain
green sort? Because some people do seem to get much better flowers on
theirs than others.

--
Sue

The yellow one is called Golden lanterns or something similar. The flowers
and berries stand out much better against the yellow foliage. On the
ordinary plant the leaf colour/tint flowers and berries do not contrast that
well. It requires a sophisticated eye to appreciate its true quality:-)
Leycesteria 'crocothyrsos' may be more to your taste --yellow flowers and
looks nothing like the standard plant.

Old 22-10-2006, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" writes

The Leycesteria appreciation society are about to issue a writ:-)
A superb good doer. Flowers, berries, nice leaf shape and colour-what else
do you want. Blackbirds love the berries and the Gold finches eat the
seeds
in spring.
Available also in a golden/yellow form.
As if that is not enough the berries are delicious and taste of toffee.

And it spreads everywhere! Almost as bad as Alchemilla mollis.
--
Kay

And this comment from someone who won't hear a word said against celandine
which is a total thug.:-)