Old 22-10-2006, 06:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What plants would you take with you if you moved house.....

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes:

| In my case I think it would have to be the irreplacable plants - for
| example the variegated sport of Lavatera x clementii 'Barnsley' and the
| pink-flowered sport of Alcea x Althaea 'Park Allee'. (Perhaps in these
| cases my opinion would be different when I've grown them long enough to
| evaluate them.)

Yes. Like my Berberis vulgaris "asperma", which the national collection
does not have :-) But I would have hell propagating it, as the deciduous
Berberis rarely take from cuttings, and the few seeds it produces will
produce plants that will probably not be largely seedless ....

That does seem a problem - I've tried propagating Berberis from
cuttings, evergreen ones even, in the past, without success. Does it
sucker?

The two plants I mentioned are easy to propagate vegetatively (assuming
the 'Park Allee' sport behaves like 'Park Allee'. The blue-flowered
Malva sylvestris are more of a problem - short-lived and with cutting
not reliably winter-hardy, and I've lost a few of these after the years.
Similarly with interspecific Malva hybrids - if need be I can reproduce
the crosses for F1 plants, but any decent F2 plant has to be kept going
vegetatively.

Does anyone else have "asperma"? I suspect that the two sports are
mention aren't unique - the variegated 'Barnsley' might be the same as
'Chrisjen', and 'Park Allee' is known to produce sports.

But also the ones I got from relatives, though those ARE easier to
propagate.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 23-10-2006, 04:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sue" wrote in message
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote

http://www.rainyside.com/features/pl...als/Parahebe_p
erfoliata.html

Most like this one than the others on the other cite you gave

Mine however has leaves which are finely
lobed and the flowers are a paler lilac colour than the one in the
pic.

I have a low growing white flowered shrubby parahebe that's pretty

much
evergreen, but I'm not sure what variety it is.

Mine is an evergreen too.

And I did have a young plant of this one until our very dry summer

this
year did for it. Will have to try again next year.
http://www.farmyardnurseries.co.uk/herbac/parahe1.htm

I had thought that the one I had might be a parahebe catarractae -
can't recall now why I thought so but I assume from something I found
on the Web. Mine grows by the side of the driveway in a very dry spot
and it is only watered probably about once a year. It seem to thrive
on dry and doesn't mind our frosts (can get as low as -10C here). I
gave a piece of it to a friend who is a keen gardener and told her to
put in a dry tough positiion. She subsequently saw one the same
growing in another garden in exactly the same position as I described
to her. I've never seent hem for sale though. Must check my Plant
Finder book.

Old 23-10-2006, 01:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote
"Sue" wrote
And I did have a young plant of this one until our very dry summer

this year did for it. Will have to try again next year.
http://www.farmyardnurseries.co.uk/herbac/parahe1.htm

I had thought that the one I had might be a parahebe catarractae -
can't recall now why I thought so but I assume from something I found
on the Web. Mine grows by the side of the driveway in a very dry spot
and it is only watered probably about once a year. It seem to thrive
on dry and doesn't mind our frosts (can get as low as -10C here). I
gave a piece of it to a friend who is a keen gardener and told her to
put in a dry tough positiion. She subsequently saw one the same
growing in another garden in exactly the same position as I described
to her. I've never seent hem for sale though. Must check my Plant
Finder book.

I think my blue one only gave up the ghost because it was small and
newly planted and I probably didn't water it enough to get it
established before our hot, dry spell. The white one does cope with our
dry conditions fairly well. Sometimes it loses leaves and looks a bit
tatty after too much summer drought or an extra cold spell in winter,
but given a haircut when better conditions arrive and it recovers well,
I find.

--
Sue

Old 23-10-2006, 02:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes:

| Yes. Like my Berberis vulgaris "asperma", which the national collection
| does not have :-) But I would have hell propagating it, as the deciduous
| Berberis rarely take from cuttings, and the few seeds it produces will
| produce plants that will probably not be largely seedless ....
|
| That does seem a problem - I've tried propagating Berberis from
| cuttings, evergreen ones even, in the past, without success. Does it
| sucker?

Yes and no. Only very close to the existing stems!

I originally propagated it by an aerial layer.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 23-10-2006, 02:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , JennyC
writes

Just to make sure we are all talking about the same thing;
http://www.joycreek.com/104-001D4.htm

jenny

Those leaves look better than mine.

Mine looks more like
http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im....org.uk/flora/
images/small/4335s.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.habitas.org.uk/flora/species.
asp%3Fitem%3D4335&h=300&w=300&sz=36&hl=en&start=4& tbnid=4PC73yW0FBVpjM:&t
bnh=116&tbnw=116&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dleycesteria%2Bformosa%26svnum%3D10%26
hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26rls%3DGGLG,GGLG:2006-25,GGLG:en%26sa%3DN

yes, that's an address rather than a graphic file in text!

My leaves are ropier and the flowers are not so obvious but it still
shows how 'clumpy' the plant is and birds just don't seem to like mine.
Though I have a lot in my garden including goldfinches etc.

Now if it had a scent .......................
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Old 23-10-2006, 02:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , "Rupert (W.Yorkshire)"
writes

Yes that's it--more or less. The leaves on mine look slightly different.
Do you wish to retract your rotten comments about this super shrub?:-)))

No, mine still doesn't have a scent and the worst bit isn't shown which
is the sort of thicket of those hollow stems than come from the base and
the fact that the total shape is not very alluring
Old 23-10-2006, 02:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , "Rupert (W.Yorkshire)"
writes

The yellow one is called Golden lanterns or something similar. The flowers
and berries stand out much better against the yellow foliage. On the
ordinary plant the leaf colour/tint flowers and berries do not contrast that
well. It requires a sophisticated eye to appreciate its true quality:-)

Ah .. that'll be the reason then ...............

Leycesteria 'crocothyrsos' may be more to your taste --yellow flowers and
looks nothing like the standard plant.

I think 'nothing like the standard plant' might well be more to my
taste!
Old 23-10-2006, 02:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Charlie Pridham
writes

Janet there is a beautiful gold leafed form well worth a space!

Is it fragrant?
Old 23-10-2006, 03:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

snip
Janet there is a beautiful gold leafed form well worth a space!

I must try and track one of these plants down, it sounds delightful

kate
Old 23-10-2006, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes:

| Yes. Like my Berberis vulgaris "asperma", which the national collection
| does not have :-) But I would have hell propagating it, as the deciduous
| Berberis rarely take from cuttings, and the few seeds it produces will
| produce plants that will probably not be largely seedless ....
|
| That does seem a problem - I've tried propagating Berberis from
| cuttings, evergreen ones even, in the past, without success. Does it
| sucker?

Yes and no. Only very close to the existing stems!

I originally propagated it by an aerial layer.

That would have been my next proposal.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 24-10-2006, 11:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sue" wrote in message
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote

I had thought that the one I had might be a parahebe catarractae -

I think my blue one only gave up the ghost because it was small and
newly planted and I probably didn't water it enough to get it
established before our hot, dry spell.

Could be. I put in a baby which struggled last year but it's coming
on again now.

The white one does cope with our
dry conditions fairly well. Sometimes it loses leaves and looks a

bit
tatty after too much summer drought or an extra cold spell in

winter,
but given a haircut when better conditions arrive and it recovers

well,
I find.

Is this a parahebe catarractae too?

Old 24-10-2006, 11:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" writes

Do you wish to retract your rotten comments about this super

shrub?:-)))

No, mine still doesn't have a scent

:-)) I've enjoyed this exchange. People always think I'm odd when I
say that I don't like either camellias or tulips. Apparently I should
know that it's compulsory to like these plants.

Old 24-10-2006, 11:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

JennyC wrote:
Just to make sure we are all talking about the same thing;
http://www.joycreek.com/104-001D4.htm

jenny

Oh! I was under the impression that the Himalayan Honeysuckle was in
the same category of baddies as the Japanese Knotweed? For the same
reasons? I certainly know of a few places in the SW of Ireland where
it behaves more or less in the same way!
I quite like the looks of it myself, but had steered clear because I
thought it was a thug. Am I wrong?

Cat(h)

Old 24-10-2006, 12:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
oups.com...

JennyC wrote:
Just to make sure we are all talking about the same thing;
http://www.joycreek.com/104-001D4.htm

jenny

Oh! I was under the impression that the Himalayan Honeysuckle was in
the same category of baddies as the Japanese Knotweed? For the same
reasons? I certainly know of a few places in the SW of Ireland where
it behaves more or less in the same way!
I quite like the looks of it myself, but had steered clear because I
thought it was a thug. Am I wrong?

Cat(h)

Yes you are wrong:-) It does self seed but it's not as if the seedlings make
a jungle instantly. I am just about to dig up some Knotweed from beside a
railway line and bung it in a large pot. The canes on the stuff are more
interesting than even the most expensive bamboo.
I suppose you may take my advice with a bucket of salt cos I am the chap
that rather likes Giant Hogweed :-)

Old 24-10-2006, 01:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sue" wrote in message
The white one does cope with our dry conditions fairly well.
Sometimes it loses leaves and looks a bit tatty after too much summer
drought or an extra cold spell in winter, but given a haircut when
better conditions arrive and it recovers well, I find.

Is this a parahebe catarractae too?

I couldn't for the life of me remember, but I've gone through my old
labels and found it's called Parahebe lyallii and described as a
semi-evergreen sub-shrub.

It is only a low grower so here it lives at the front of a narrow,
mostly sunny border. It's not an extrovert plant, but I like it even out
of flower because of its neat mound of little deep green leaves which
makes a nice foil to other surrounding things.

--
Sue