Old 24-10-2006, 04:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What plants would you take with you if you moved house.....

"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message
"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" writes

Do you wish to retract your rotten comments about this super

shrub?:-)))

No, mine still doesn't have a scent

:-)) I've enjoyed this exchange. People always think I'm odd when I
say that I don't like either camellias or tulips. Apparently I should
know that it's compulsory to like these plants.

Can't bothered with tulips much either. Tall floppy damn things that fall
over at the slightest wind. The very low ones are OK, but I find they don't
last long and the hassle of waiting for them to die down etc is a nuisance.
I only have a small garden and they hang around for ages before you can dig
'em up. I do have a miniatures in pots, which I hide away when they are
finished.

Camellias are OK but the flowers get ratty looking.....
Jenny

Old 24-10-2006, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

:-)) I've enjoyed this exchange. People always think I'm odd when I
say that I don't like either camellias or tulips. Apparently I should
know that it's compulsory to like these plants.

Can't bothered with tulips much either. Tall floppy damn things that fall
over at the slightest wind. The very low ones are OK, but I find they don't
last long and the hassle of waiting for them to die down etc is a nuisance.
I only have a small garden and they hang around for ages before you can dig
'em up. I do have a miniatures in pots, which I hide away when they are
finished.

Camellias are OK but the flowers get ratty looking.....
Jenny

Yes I agree with those comments, I dont have any tulips, I do have
Camellias but only because they were a gift, good job we are all
different innit :-)

kate
Old 24-10-2006, 07:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kate Morgan" wrote
things
Camellias are OK but the flowers get ratty looking.....
Jenny

Yes I agree with those comments, I dont have any tulips, I do have
Camellias but only because they were a gift, good job we are all
different innit :-)
kate

I kept receiving PINK hydrangeas.....unfortunately I managed to let them all
die :~
Jenny

Old 24-10-2006, 11:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article
, Farm1
writes
"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" writes

Do you wish to retract your rotten comments about this super

shrub?:-)))

No, mine still doesn't have a scent

:-)) I've enjoyed this exchange. People always think I'm odd when I
say that I don't like either camellias or tulips. Apparently I should
know that it's compulsory to like these plants.

Ah but I love Salvias and oh yes, Jasmine which someone I know thinks
smells absolutely awful!
I wonder if there's ever been a psychoanalysis of which plants/types of
garden you like and whether this reveals a lot about your own
personality?

I find yellow and orange plants disconcerting, love cottagey plants but
tropical stuff never appeals.

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 25-10-2006, 02:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
Farm1
"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message

No, mine still doesn't have a scent

:-)) I've enjoyed this exchange. People always think I'm odd when

say that I don't like either camellias or tulips. Apparently I

should
know that it's compulsory to like these plants.

Ah but I love Salvias and oh yes, Jasmine which someone I know

thinks
smells absolutely awful!
I wonder if there's ever been a psychoanalysis of which plants/types

of
garden you like and whether this reveals a lot about your own
personality?

I find yellow and orange plants disconcerting, love cottagey plants

but
tropical stuff never appeals.

:-)) I think it was Hardy Amies (Queen's dressmaker) who said that
orange in roses was vulgar. I love orangey coloured Calendulas but am
not fond of orange roses. And I don't like tropical looking plants in
temperate gardens but would if I lived in the tropics.

Old 25-10-2006, 07:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote

I wonder if there's ever been a psychoanalysis of which plants/types of
garden you like and whether this reveals a lot about your own personality?

I find yellow and orange plants disconcerting, love cottagey plants but
tropical stuff never appeals.
Janet Tweedy

LOL :~)
I love all colours except pale ones, and tropical really does it for me !!
I hate tidy, regimented gardens, topiary, box hedging and lawns!
Jenny

Old 25-10-2006, 07:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote
Farm1 wrote in message
I wonder if there's ever been a psychoanalysis of which plants/types

of garden you like and whether this reveals a lot about your own
personality?

I find yellow and orange plants disconcerting, love cottagey plants

but tropical stuff never appeals.

:-)) I think it was Hardy Amies (Queen's dressmaker) who said that
orange in roses was vulgar. I love orangey coloured Calendulas but am
not fond of orange roses.

OH !!
They can be OK :
http://rho0ofa.jeeran.com/orange%20rose.jpeg
http://www.art-ppp.com/Orange%20Rose.jpg

And I don't like tropical looking plants in
temperate gardens but would if I lived in the tropics.

Are not all tropical gardens tropical purely by being where they are ?
Jenny "~)

Old 25-10-2006, 08:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Farm1 writes
[...]

I find my taste changes with season. In spring, fresh yellows. Cool
pinks and mauves in summer, then warm oranges and reds in autumn, to
tone in with the autumn leaves and ripening fruit. So an orange rose is
garish and out of place, whereas orange calendulas are good ;-)

--
Kay
Old 25-10-2006, 10:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article .com,
"Cat(h)" writes

JennyC wrote:
Just to make sure we are all talking about the same thing;
http://www.joycreek.com/104-001D4.htm

jenny

Oh! I was under the impression that the Himalayan Honeysuckle

Did you mean Himalayan balsam? A quite attractive plant until you
realise its implications in your garden!

Old 25-10-2006, 11:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , K
writes

So an orange rose is garish and out of place, whereas orange
calendulas are good ;-)

I can cope with moorheim beauty because it's got that degree of bronze
in it to take it away from the yellow part of the spectrum, I think it's
the warmer tones towards red that saves it.

Old 25-10-2006, 11:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes
the deciduous
Berberis rarely take from cuttings,

Coo not half! I've almost decimated one of my thunbergii plants to get
two to strike! It became a 'me or the plant' tussle in the end but I
managed it. Strange roots too, sort of yellowish in colour.

janet

Old 25-10-2006, 02:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote
In article , Nick Maclaren
writes
the deciduous Berberis rarely take from cuttings,

Coo not half! I've almost decimated one of my thunbergii plants to get
two to strike! It became a 'me or the plant' tussle in the end but I
managed it. Strange roots too, sort of yellowish in colour.

I must have been unusually (un)lucky to get atropurpurea to root, as all
I did was stick a shoot from my mother's shrub in the ground. An action
I lived to regret when it grew up to be an enormous and viciously spined
thug too big for where I'd put it. She did warn me, but did I listen?

The purple-green foliage was handsome and it coloured up well in autumn,
but trying to control it and prune out old wood was a painful nightmare
so eventually it got the final chop and I dug it out. I remember those
yellow roots well!

--
Sue

Old 25-10-2006, 02:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article .com,
"Cat(h)" writes

JennyC wrote:
Just to make sure we are all talking about the same thing;
http://www.joycreek.com/104-001D4.htm

jenny

Oh! I was under the impression that the Himalayan Honeysuckle

Did you mean Himalayan balsam? A quite attractive plant until you
realise its implications in your garden!

I have just googled that, and no, it's the plant in the photo above
that I am referring to.
The himalayan balsam is lovely to look at, I remember it used to grow
in abundance in one grove near my childhood home. We used to make bit
bunches of them, and as they seem to be made 99.9% of water, they would
wilt within minutes!

And yes, I know that too is a terrible thug.

Cat(h)

Old 26-10-2006, 07:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JennyC" wrote in message
"Janet Tweedy" wrote

I wonder if there's ever been a psychoanalysis of which

plants/types of
garden you like and whether this reveals a lot about your own

personality?

I find yellow and orange plants disconcerting, love cottagey

plants but
tropical stuff never appeals.
Janet Tweedy

LOL :~)
I love all colours except pale ones, and tropical really does it for

me !!
I hate tidy, regimented gardens, topiary, box hedging and lawns!

I hate tidy gardens too but I can't quite see the connection to
tropical plants in not liking tidy gardens.

Old 26-10-2006, 07:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JennyC" wrote in message
Farm1 wrote in message

:-)) I think it was Hardy Amies (Queen's dressmaker) who said that
orange in roses was vulgar. I love orangey coloured Calendulas

but am
not fond of orange roses.

OH !!
They can be OK :
http://rho0ofa.jeeran.com/orange%20rose.jpeg

Yuck!

http://www.art-ppp.com/Orange%20Rose.jpg

Wouldn't load.

And I don't like tropical looking plants in
temperate gardens but would if I lived in the tropics.

Are not all tropical gardens tropical purely by being where they are

?

No. I've seen pics of "tropical" gardens in London and all sorts of
other places. Lots of tropical style palms, musa etc and I hate the
look of them in temperate climates. It's sort of like building a
Hacienda in the middle of a bunch of Eucalypts. Just looks wrong,
wrong,wrong.