Old 29-10-2006, 09:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What plants would you take with you if you moved house.....

In message ews.net,
Sue writes

"Klara" wrote
I get really depressed from lack of daylight in November (particularly
when I've missed the whole summer being stuck at the computer) and
cheer up after Christmas too. I think I would cheer up even more if I
lived in Cornwall ... it's such a magic place! I compromise by saving
happy sunny photos to use as screensavers...

I always dread winter too, and hate it when the clocks change. Early
sunsets just make it feel worse.

It's been really pleasantly warm here today, though - if only it would
last a bit longer. Hope you all saw some sunshine as well.

I generally feel a bit like that but it's nice to look forward to spring
and as my mother used to say, every day after December gets longer and
lighter.
--
June Hughes
Old 30-10-2006, 04:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message

:-)) Well to cheer you up later in your hibernation, I promise

I'll
post sometime in late Jan, early Feb, about gardening in 40+ C

Fair enough! I have down in Cornwall a very flat climate temperature

wise,
never very hot and never very cold, but I like the rest of the

country
cannot escape the Latitude which means less light than I would like

in
winter :~)

Lovely part of the world. And the compensation for such light levels
is that glorious British green. Here the natural colour of the trees
and just about everything else is olive green (and even the British
trees aren't that same shade of green as they are in the UK - strong
light washes out the colour). I long for real British green and have
recently threatened my husband with wanting to move to a climate where
I can have real green.

PS I generally cheer up after Christmas when the days start to

lengthen
again!

I think that happens to everyone. I even cheer up after mid June and
we generally get cloudless blue skies all winter.

Old 31-10-2006, 07:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

dFarm1 writes
"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

PS I generally cheer up after Christmas when the days start to

lengthen
again!

I think that happens to everyone. I even cheer up after mid June and
we generally get cloudless blue skies all winter.

My bad time of the year is usually March - June. Usually start feeling a
bit better in summer, with autumn when i start feeling really OK. I'm
wondering whether it links in with whether you're an 'owl' or a 'lark'.
Most people, whatever they say, are morning people; I'm an evening
person.

--
Kay
Old 01-11-2006, 01:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 14:50:32 +1100, "Farm1"

please@askifyouwannaknow
wrote:

I think that happens to everyone. I even cheer up after mid June

and
we generally get cloudless blue skies all winter.

You should have waved to the camera

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/New...es.php3?img_id
=17441

Wow! What an amazing pic. Thank you so much for posting that link,
even if it is depressing.

The site says that the yellow spots with a zero rating are in "near
average" conditions and are shaded yellow. I see that where I live
shows up as being in one of these yellow areas but it is not at all
"near average" for this time of year - much worse than anyone I know
has yet experienced for this time of year - dry creek, needing to feed
cattle (in Spring!) and record animal sales in all the yards. It
should reflect in lower meat prices but of course hasn't.

Old 02-11-2006, 09:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message

Local seaside resort
http://www.zeezicht.nl/nl/webcam.aspx
On the slide?

Wish I could see it but unfortunatley I coulnd't see it - probably my
slow and ghastly rural lines.

In Amsterdam, a man sheltering behind a tree whilst taking a leak in

canal went into the canal when the wind uprooted the tree.

:-)) That'll larn 'im!