Old 21-10-2006, 10:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What plants would you take with you if you moved house.....

I've been thinking that I shall not take many plants with me if/when we move
to France.....

It seems a good idea to make a new start...but I did start a list of various
things that I was thinking of taking, and have just looked at it
again.....Perhaps that one rose (cutting from friends wedding bouquet)
should come along, and the ginger, and the Johnson's Blue geranium, and the
big yucca, and, and ........:~))

What favourite plant would you not be able to live without, providing the
conditions were suitable in the new garden...?

--
Jenny (the Netherlands)
remove squirrel to reply

Old 21-10-2006, 10:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

snip

What favourite plant would you not be able to live without, providing the
conditions were suitable in the new garden...?

My most favourite is the pheasant berry. I think that would live in
France

kate
Old 21-10-2006, 11:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JennyC" wrote in message

I've been thinking that I shall not take many plants with me if/when we
move to France.....

It seems a good idea to make a new start...but I did start a list of
various things that I was thinking of taking, and have just looked at it
again.....Perhaps that one rose (cutting from friends wedding bouquet)
should come along, and the ginger, and the Johnson's Blue geranium, and
the big yucca, and, and ........:~))

What favourite plant would you not be able to live without, providing the
conditions were suitable in the new garden...?

--
Jenny (the Netherlands)
remove squirrel to reply

I'll be moving this winter and what I will certainly be taking is my
collection of ferns. Apart from some seeds, everything else will stay.

Old 21-10-2006, 12:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JennyC" wrote

I've been thinking that I shall not take many plants with me if/when we
move to France.....

It seems a good idea to make a new start...but I did start a list of
various things that I was thinking of taking, and have just looked at it
again.....Perhaps that one rose (cutting from friends wedding bouquet)
should come along, and the ginger, and the Johnson's Blue geranium, and
the big yucca, and, and ........:~))

What favourite plant would you not be able to live without, providing the
conditions were suitable in the new garden...?

Depends what the conditions were like in whichever part of I was moving to,
some plants I grow probably wouldn't survive the very cold winters.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 21-10-2006, 01:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , JennyC
writes

I've been thinking that I shall not take many plants with me if/when we move
to France.....

It seems a good idea to make a new start...but I did start a list of various
things that I was thinking of taking, and have just looked at it
again.....Perhaps that one rose (cutting from friends wedding bouquet)
should come along, and the ginger, and the Johnson's Blue geranium, and the
big yucca, and, and ........:~))

What favourite plant would you not be able to live without, providing the
conditions were suitable in the new garden...?

Anything in pots, some cuttings, but apart from that, there are, as you
say, the sentimental memories. The silver anniversary rose could be
moved, but the 35th - the coral-bark maple - only for the next couple of
years. The rest are all trees with sentimental memories, but those would
have to go as photographs....

(Another reason not to move?)
--
Klara, Gatwick basin

Old 21-10-2006, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message

snip

What favourite plant would you not be able to live without, providing the
conditions were suitable in the new garden...?

My most favourite is the pheasant berry. I think that would live in
France
kate

Yep - on the list :~)
Jenny

Old 21-10-2006, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Klara" wrote in message
In message , JennyC
writes

[...]

But we have SO many reasons to move !! The views, the countryside (as
opposed to town living ATM), the river at the bottom of the hill, the fresh
food in the markets, the challenge of a totally blank canvas (it's field
ATM), New soil type for me (limestone) and of course the rather nice house
that we've seen...........:~)
Jenny

Old 22-10-2006, 04:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JennyC" wrote in message

What favourite plant would you not be able to live without,

providing the
conditions were suitable in the new garden...?

My parahebe (took me 10 years to find out that it was even called that
and I've ony ever seen it growing in gardens where I've lived or where
I've given it to the garden owner).

My collection of named Irises, some daffodils and rare bulbs I've
collected and not seen for sale. The billbergias my long gone mother
gave me. My bestest rhubarb crown.

In short, the precious things that have memories or which I know I
can't replace easily (if at all).

Old 22-10-2006, 07:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message
"JennyC" wrote in message

What favourite plant would you not be able to live without,

providing the
conditions were suitable in the new garden...?

My parahebe (took me 10 years to find out that it was even called that
and I've ony ever seen it growing in gardens where I've lived or where
I've given it to the garden owner).

...........google............OH !
This one?
http://www.rainyside.com/features/pl...erfoliata.html
Or one of these?
http://www.nzpcn.org.nz/vascular_pla...ilterStatus=12

My collection of named Irises, some daffodils and rare bulbs I've
collected and not seen for sale. The billbergias my long gone mother
gave me. My bestest rhubarb crown.

In short, the precious things that have memories or which I know I
can't replace easily (if at all).

jenny

Old 22-10-2006, 08:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , JennyC
writes

My most favourite is the pheasant berry. I think that would live in
France
kate

Yep - on the list :~)
Jenny

Good Lord I dug mine out as it was getting too large and not that
attractive most of the time. I can't give away the seedlings! Are we
talking about Leycesteria?
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Old 22-10-2006, 08:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , JennyC
writes
..........google............OH !
This one?
http://www.rainyside.com/features/pl.../Parahebe_perf
oliata.html
Or one of these?
http://www.nzpcn.org.nz/vascular_pla...ilterStatus=12

I've got hookeriana from a small cutting that Jill Bell gave me when we
had a URG Meet at her house. It's very easy to take from cuttings but
gets confused with Diascias and similar small flowered plants.

Janet
Old 22-10-2006, 08:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JennyC" wrote in message

What favourite plant would you not be able to live without, providing the
conditions were suitable in the new garden...?

--
Jenny (the Netherlands)
remove squirrel to reply

One of the hardest questions to ask any gardener! Have to say it would
depend on when you asked me as my favourites tend to change when I am
looking at something, right now I couldn't be without Hedychium greenii and
Cassia corymbosa, but if I couldn't have more than one plant, well then I
wouldn't move! took 3 lorries to get us here and most of that was garden
stuff.
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 22-10-2006, 09:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , JennyC
writes
But we have SO many reasons to move !! The views, the countryside (as
opposed to town living ATM), the river at the bottom of the hill, the fresh
food in the markets, the challenge of a totally blank canvas (it's field
ATM), New soil type for me (limestone) and of course the rather nice house
that we've seen...........:~)
Jenny

My goodness - what are you waiting for?

Actually, I envy you the limestone: I find that (very broadly) I much
prefer plants that thrive on alkaline soil.

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 22-10-2006, 10:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , JennyC
writes

My most favourite is the pheasant berry. I think that would live in
France
kate

Yep - on the list :~)
Jenny

Good Lord I dug mine out as it was getting too large and not that
attractive most of the time. I can't give away the seedlings! Are we
talking about Leycesteria?
Janet Tweedy

I am :~)
I love the flowers. I don't have one ATM. could you tell me why it's
unattractive? I might need to review it OR put it down the end of the garden
so I can just use it for cut flowers......
Jenny

Old 22-10-2006, 10:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Klara" wrote in message
In message , JennyC
writes
But we have SO many reasons to move !! The views, the countryside (as
opposed to town living ATM), the river at the bottom of the hill, the
fresh
food in the markets, the challenge of a totally blank canvas (it's field
ATM), New soil type for me (limestone) and of course the rather nice house
that we've seen...........:~)
Jenny

My goodness - what are you waiting for?

Need a buyer here first !!

Actually, I envy you the limestone: I find that (very broadly) I much
prefer plants that thrive on alkaline soil.
Klara, Gatwick basin

I have no experience whatsoever with alkaline soil, so it's going to be
interesting :~))

Jenny