GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Fancy coloured tomatoes (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/150515-fancy-coloured-tomatoes.html)

Rhiannon Macfie Miller 22-10-2006 06:52 PM

Fancy coloured tomatoes

Having been reasonably successful with Alicante tomatoes in my
greenhouse (bar the mould mentioned in another thread) over the past
couple of years, I am thinking of branching out to more exciting
varieties. In all the vegetables I grow I'm particularly fond of
unusual colours, while also looking for a decent taste. So I'm trying
to decide between the following (I don't think I'll have room to grow
them all, as I also plan to grow cape gooseberries and aubergines and
the greenhouse isn't that large):

Tigerella (red with yellow streaks)
Green Zebra (yellow with green streaks)
Black Russian (purple)
White Wonder (white)
Pepino (green with purple streaks, apparently tastes of melon)

Does anyone have experience of any of these? If so, I'd appreciate any
information you have on whether they taste any good, how productive they
are, and how well they are likely to cope with the short season and
lower temperatures engendered by being in Scotland and in a greenhouse
which gets shaded for half the day by a neighbour's tree.

Many thanks

Rhiannon

®óñ© © ² * ¹°°³ 22-10-2006 08:04 PM

Fancy coloured tomatoes

On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 17:52:43 GMT, Rhiannon Macfie Miller
wrote and included this (or some of this):

Tigerella (red with yellow streaks)
Green Zebra (yellow with green streaks)
Black Russian (purple)
White Wonder (white)
Pepino (green with purple streaks, apparently tastes of melon)

Does anyone have experience of any of these? If so, I'd appreciate any
information you have on whether they taste any good, how productive they
are, and how well they are likely to cope with the short season and
lower temperatures engendered by being in Scotland and in a greenhouse
which gets shaded for half the day by a neighbour's tree.

Tigerella was reasonably productive in my experience but not
overly tasty. I wouldn't bother again.

Try Olivade, Pineapple, Aviro, Juliet, Dombito and Santa.

(Not all funny colours but successful for me)

--
®óñ© © ² * ¹°°³

Mary Fisher 22-10-2006 08:04 PM

Fancy coloured tomatoes

"Rhiannon Macfie Miller" wrote in message
Having been reasonably successful with Alicante tomatoes in my
greenhouse (bar the mould mentioned in another thread) over the past
couple of years, I am thinking of branching out to more exciting
varieties. In all the vegetables I grow I'm particularly fond of
unusual colours, while also looking for a decent taste. So I'm trying
to decide between the following (I don't think I'll have room to grow
them all, as I also plan to grow cape gooseberries and aubergines and
the greenhouse isn't that large):

Tigerella (red with yellow streaks)

Those are OK but not spectacularly flavourful. The yellow streaks gradually
turned red as the toms ripened but you can still see that they're striped..

Does anyone have experience of any of these? If so, I'd appreciate any
information you have on whether they taste any good, how productive they
are, and how well they are likely to cope with the short season and
lower temperatures engendered by being in Scotland and in a greenhouse
which gets shaded for half the day by a neighbour's tree.

We're in Leeds, Yorkshire and shaded for part of the time. I grew them
outside and in the greenhouse, the greenhouse ones ripened first. There are
still a couple on the plant in the greenhouse.

I grew some small yellow ones which hung like bunches of grapes, if I can
find the ref. I'll post it. They were/are still spectacular!

My favourites of all were Sungold - small orange toms with a wonderful
flavour but which rarely got to the kitchen because they split and I had to
eat them on my way to the house ...

I only grow for flavour.

Mary

[email protected] 22-10-2006 10:32 PM

Fancy coloured tomatoes

Rhiannon Macfie Miller writes:

So I'm trying
to decide between the following

Black Russian (purple)

I tried one of these this year, good sized fruit (it's a beefsteak
style), tasted nice, especially in bacon rolls.

Anthony

Andy 23-10-2006 12:42 AM

Fancy coloured tomatoes

[...]

My brother grew Tigerella. He said they had little flavour, and he won't be
growing them again. He also said the same about Moneymaker, but they aren't
fancy coloured anyway.

Andy.

Des Higgins 23-10-2006 10:50 AM

Fancy coloured tomatoes

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"Rhiannon Macfie Miller" wrote in message
Having been reasonably successful with Alicante tomatoes in my
greenhouse (bar the mould mentioned in another thread) over the past
couple of years, I am thinking of branching out to more exciting
varieties. In all the vegetables I grow I'm particularly fond of
unusual colours, while also looking for a decent taste. So I'm trying
to decide between the following (I don't think I'll have room to grow
them all, as I also plan to grow cape gooseberries and aubergines and
the greenhouse isn't that large):

Tigerella (red with yellow streaks)

Those are OK but not spectacularly flavourful.

Agreed.

[...]

Sungold are astonishingly good!!
I also grew Ailsa Craig this year which were good sized and sturdy and
reasonable flavour.
Next year I will post to URG in January and take a census of opinions.

I only grow for flavour.

Mary

Rhiannon Macfie Miller 23-10-2006 12:31 PM

Fancy coloured tomatoes

Mary Fisher wrote:
My favourites of all were Sungold - small orange toms with a wonderful
flavour but which rarely got to the kitchen because they split and I had to
eat them on my way to the house ...

Our Alicante split quite badly this year but that might just have been
lack of attention.

Rhiannon

Mike Lyle[_1_] 23-10-2006 01:17 PM

Fancy coloured tomatoes

Andy wrote:
[...]
My brother grew Tigerella. He said they had little flavour, and he won't be
growing them again. He also said the same about Moneymaker, but they aren't
fancy coloured anyway.

Same experience here with Tigerella. I read somewhere that Tigerella is
a "sub-variety" of Moneymaker; I don't know if it's true, though it's
credible from the taste. (A neighbour regularly grew Moneymaker for
sale on a small scale with lots of rotted fym, and let the tomatoes
ripen before offering them: they were better than the supermarket ones,
but I still wouldn't recommend them.)

--
Mike.

Sue[_3_] 23-10-2006 02:02 PM

Fancy coloured tomatoes

"Mike Lyle" wrote
Same experience here with Tigerella. I read somewhere that Tigerella
is a "sub-variety" of Moneymaker; I don't know if it's true, though
it's credible from the taste. (A neighbour regularly grew Moneymaker
for sale on a small scale with lots of rotted fym, and let the
tomatoes ripen before offering them: they were better than the
supermarket ones, but I still wouldn't recommend them.)

'Moneymaker' says it all really. You can't help thinking if it had a
decent taste it would have been given a better name!

--
Sue

Kate Morgan 23-10-2006 03:54 PM

Fancy coloured tomatoes

"Mike Lyle" wrote
Same experience here with Tigerella. I read somewhere that Tigerella
is a "sub-variety" of Moneymaker; I don't know if it's true, though
it's credible from the taste. (A neighbour regularly grew Moneymaker
for sale on a small scale with lots of rotted fym, and let the
tomatoes ripen before offering them: they were better than the
supermarket ones, but I still wouldn't recommend them.)

'Moneymaker' says it all really. You can't help thinking if it had a
decent taste it would have been given a better name!

I grew Moneymaker in the greenhouse and I am still picking them, they
taste O.K.ish picked fresh and the skins are soft but I wont grow them
again, dont quite know what to try next year, will keep reading the
thread and decide.

kate

Cat(h) 23-10-2006 05:34 PM

Fancy coloured tomatoes

Kate Morgan wrote:
"Mike Lyle" wrote
Same experience here with Tigerella. I read somewhere that Tigerella
is a "sub-variety" of Moneymaker; I don't know if it's true, though
it's credible from the taste. (A neighbour regularly grew Moneymaker
for sale on a small scale with lots of rotted fym, and let the
tomatoes ripen before offering them: they were better than the
supermarket ones, but I still wouldn't recommend them.)

'Moneymaker' says it all really. You can't help thinking if it had a
decent taste it would have been given a better name!

I grew Moneymaker in the greenhouse and I am still picking them, they
taste O.K.ish picked fresh and the skins are soft but I wont grow them
again, dont quite know what to try next year, will keep reading the
thread and decide.

I grew some totems this year, and would not bother again.
There was also a shirley, and a gardener's delight in my collection,
and as I lost the labels (they were mauled by the mower), I'm not sure
which is which, but one of those split like mad after picking, and the
other was nice.
Still, the lot were relatively disappointing. I really need to invest
in a small greenhouse.

Cat(h)

K 23-10-2006 05:51 PM

Fancy coloured tomatoes

"Cat(h)" writes
I really need to invest in a small greenhouse.

No you don't. You need to invest in *large* greenhouse ;-)

And it still won't be large enough
--
Kay

Kate Morgan 23-10-2006 06:47 PM

Fancy coloured tomatoes

I really need to invest in a small greenhouse.

No you don't. You need to invest in *large* greenhouse ;-)

And it still won't be large enough

LOL, I know the feeling :-)

sam 23-10-2006 07:54 PM

Fancy coloured tomatoes

Rhiannon Macfie Miller wrote:
Having been reasonably successful with Alicante tomatoes in my
greenhouse (bar the mould mentioned in another thread) over the past
couple of years, I am thinking of branching out to more exciting
varieties.

Tigerella (red with yellow streaks)
Green Zebra (yellow with green streaks)
Black Russian (purple)
White Wonder (white)
Pepino (green with purple streaks, apparently tastes of melon)

Does anyone have experience of any of these?

Rhiannon

Green Zebra is quite a large tomato with a slightly citrus flavour
A refreshing tomato to eat in the very hot weather.Salads & sandwiches.
Black Russian is a whopper, but soft with a thin skin.
I found it best for cooking e.g.a fryup. Lovely flavour.
Both are heritage tomatoes which grow true to seed.
For best results grow organically using liquid seaweed extract feed.
They deserve it.

sam 23-10-2006 07:59 PM

Fancy coloured tomatoes

K wrote:
"Cat(h)" writes
I really need to invest in a small greenhouse.

No you don't. You need to invest in *large* greenhouse ;-)

And it still won't be large enough

All the more reason for sticking to a small one.