Old 23-10-2006, 03:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Magnolia Grandiflora seed pods

My magnolia grandiflora had a wonderful crop of flowers this year. I did not
remove the seed pods and some have grown quite large - they look like
mini-pineapples and the biggest are about as big as a fist.
Should I remove them and will failure to do so inhibit flowering next year?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Michael

Old 23-10-2006, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

M Keville writes
My magnolia grandiflora had a wonderful crop of flowers this year. I did not
remove the seed pods and some have grown quite large - they look like
mini-pineapples and the biggest are about as big as a fist.
Should I remove them and will failure to do so inhibit flowering next year?
Thanks in advance for your help.

The idea of removing seed pods is that you should do it *before* the
plant has diverted its energy into producing them, by removing the dead
flowers.

I wouldn't have thought it made any difference to a Magnolia
grandiflora.
--
Kay
Old 24-10-2006, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
M Keville writes
My magnolia grandiflora had a wonderful crop of flowers this year. I did
not
remove the seed pods and some have grown quite large - they look like
mini-pineapples and the biggest are about as big as a fist.
Should I remove them and will failure to do so inhibit flowering next
year?
Thanks in advance for your help.

The idea of removing seed pods is that you should do it *before* the plant
has diverted its energy into producing them, by removing the dead flowers.

I wouldn't have thought it made any difference to a Magnolia grandiflora.
--

I've got over a dozen on my Magnolia Soulangia, bright red, whereas I've
only ever had one or none before. I guess it was a hot summer. I believe the

Andy.