GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Growing soya beans in UK (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/150573-growing-soya-beans-uk.html)

Pam Moore 25-10-2006 05:30 PM

Growing soya beans in UK

Has anyone tried growing soya beans here?
An allotment neighbour asked me whether he could do so, and I had to
admit I do not know. I assume our weather is not warm enough, but a
quick look at the internet says they are grown in Austria but more
generally USA, Brazil etc.
Any thoughts?

Pam in Bristol

Mike Lyle[_1_] 25-10-2006 05:56 PM

Growing soya beans in UK

Pam Moore wrote:
Has anyone tried growing soya beans here?
An allotment neighbour asked me whether he could do so, and I had to
admit I do not know. I assume our weather is not warm enough, but a
quick look at the internet says they are grown in Austria but more
generally USA, Brazil etc.
Any thoughts?

Is that the wrong Aus, do you think? I think they are trying to breed
varieties for higher latitudes, but I didn't know they'd succeeded.

Ach so! As ve say in Salzburg, fair dinkum! Put anosser shrimp on se
barbie, mein liebling!

--
Mike.

K 25-10-2006 06:04 PM

Growing soya beans in UK

Pam Moore writes
Has anyone tried growing soya beans here?
An allotment neighbour asked me whether he could do so, and I had to
admit I do not know. I assume our weather is not warm enough, but a
quick look at the internet says they are grown in Austria but more
generally USA, Brazil etc.
Any thoughts?

The Alternative technology Centre at Macchynlleth was growing them, and
I have seen them in one of the catalogues, probably T&M.

--
Kay

Janet Galpin 25-10-2006 06:08 PM

Growing soya beans in UK

The message
from Pam Moore contains these words:

Has anyone tried growing soya beans here?
An allotment neighbour asked me whether he could do so, and I had to
admit I do not know. I assume our weather is not warm enough, but a
quick look at the internet says they are grown in Austria but more
generally USA, Brazil etc.
Any thoughts?

Pam in Bristol

I tried them last year as part of an HDRA trial. I believe they were a
variety called Ustie which has been bred fo UK conditions and which are
now sold by Thompson and Morgan and possibly others.

I found that there was a high failure rate with germination and in the
report for the trial it turned out that most participants had found the
same. The few that germinated grew on then without too much difficulty
and the quality of the beans was foine but yield not very high.
It may be that T & M will address the germination issues in which case I
would say they are well worth trying.

Janet G

Nick Maclaren 25-10-2006 06:10 PM

Growing soya beans in UK

In article ,
Pam Moore writes:

| Has anyone tried growing soya beans here?
| An allotment neighbour asked me whether he could do so, and I had to
| admit I do not know. I assume our weather is not warm enough, but a
| quick look at the internet says they are grown in Austria but more
| generally USA, Brazil etc.

They certainly grow for eating green, because I have done so. They
might ripen for meal, or even to fertility, but I doubt very much that
they would be viable commercially.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Gary Woods 25-10-2006 06:15 PM

Growing soya beans in UK

Pam Moore wrote:

Has anyone tried growing soya beans here?

Roughly analogous to corn in requirements; the two are often rotated here
in the American colonies.
There are short season varieties which could work.... my season is a far
cry from the big corn/soybeans area west and south of my Central (we call
it "upstate") New York location.
You could certainly grow "Edamame;" selected soybean varieties picked at
the green shelling stage and boiled in the pods as a snack.

Pam Moore 25-10-2006 07:51 PM

Growing soya beans in UK

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 16:30:28 GMT, Pam Moore
wrote:

Has anyone tried growing soya beans here?

Thanks for responses. it seems worth a try. I'll pass on the advice.

However, Google brought up this, so beware!!!
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/foodm...342291,00.html

Pam in Bristol

Martin Brown 26-10-2006 11:06 PM

Growing soya beans in UK

Pam Moore wrote:
Has anyone tried growing soya beans here?

Yes.

An allotment neighbour asked me whether he could do so, and I had to
admit I do not know. I assume our weather is not warm enough, but a
quick look at the internet says they are grown in Austria but more
generally USA, Brazil etc.
Any thoughts?

They are easier than aubergine or peanut under glass if you choose a
cool growing cultivar. Planted outside in the UK you probably will not
get a long enough growing season unless you live in the far south mild
coastal regions or are very lucky. I have grown them in the greenhouse
in North Yorkshire with reasonable success (some years better than
others).

Question to ask before you grow them is do you like boiled soya beans
from the pod?
(a favourite beer snack in Japan)

Nattou - the fermented version is a great Japanese delicacy (OK if you
like blue cheeses).
Imagine baked beans smelling strongly of old socks in Evostick...

Regards,
Martin Brown