Old 15-04-2003, 09:08 PM
David C

Default Young Leylandii and Lawson conifers, prune and manage

I planted about 20 in early March, a mix of Leylandi (to fill a hole
in an existing Leylandii hedge) and Lawson to create a new hedge
because it's more native and managable.

I planted bare root stock 3 - 4 feet high, 2 feet apart, and have been
watering them almost daily.

I want the Lawsons to grow to about 7 feet high and the Leylandii to
grow to about 12 feet. What I want to avoid is them being spindly, the
Leylandii in particular I'd like to spread out but I still need them
to grow up to match existing trees.

My question is should I take the tops out now, I understand this will
encourage sideways growth but will they still grow up and if so how
fast ? Alternatively should I wait until they reach the required
height and then top them ?

Thanks,

David C

Old 15-04-2003, 10:32 PM
bnd777

If you saw the 56 i am plagued with down the other side of my boundary you
would have thought twice before you planted them !!!!!!!!!!

Old 17-04-2003, 08:08 PM
Kostas Kavoussanakis

On Tue, 15 Apr 2003, David C wrote:

My question is should I take the tops out now, I understand this will
encourage sideways growth but will they still grow up and if so how
fast ? Alternatively should I wait until they reach the required
height and then top them ?

There have been similar questions in the past (recent as well). If you
top at the height you want, the trunk will be visible (from the right
height), so top them a little bit earlier (half a meter perhaps?
Check the archive). Don't worry about them not growing further, they
do, and they do so fast. They not only develop a new leader (perhaps
leaders :-) but also-more slowly-expose their trunk at the bottom as
well.

Aim to trim once, probably twice a year (I have them done in autumn).
Don't prune to the old wood; I think I read here recently that
Leylandii regrow, but I guess they take their time. The Lawson may not
regrow.

A request: don't feed the discussion about Leylandii; regardless if
it's justified or not, there are at least 2-3 threads running in
parallel about it at any given time.

Kostas
Old 17-04-2003, 11:32 PM
bnd777

Lawsons are certainly reluctant to regrow outward growth although they
continue skywards
As they age Lawsons tend to get branch fallout and die from ground up in any
light deprived areas
q.np.hx...

Lawson? K Barrett Orchids 7 08-05-2007 11:11 PM
How do you manage your garden? squdsi1 Gardening 1 21-03-2006 09:07 PM
Lawson Cypress Gregs United Kingdom 3 19-09-2005 10:10 PM
Just when you think you have the fish outsmarted, they manage to outwit you Roy Ponds 3 11-10-2004 04:51 AM
root rot in Douglas fir and Lawson cypress Roy A. Fletcher Gardening 2 09-09-2004 05:29 AM