Old 05-11-2006, 07:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default When to repot Hippeastrum papilio

My wife has a Hippeastrum papilio that has put out a 'side shoot' or
is it a 'bulb division'? anyway it is now deforming the pot it's in,
is it ok to repot it a this time of the year?? I'm worried the plant
might sustain some damage if it keeps growing at it's present rate in
such restricted space.
I've got a 10cm pot standing by should I just repot the whole thing or
lift and divide it?
Cheers,
Ford.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Ford Prefect wrote:
My wife has a Hippeastrum papilio that has put out a 'side shoot' or
is it a 'bulb division'? anyway it is now deforming the pot it's in,
is it ok to repot it a this time of the year?? I'm worried the plant
might sustain some damage if it keeps growing at it's present rate in
such restricted space.
I've got a 10cm pot standing by should I just repot the whole thing or
lift and divide it?
Cheers,
Ford.

If you have no luck from this newsgroup, maybe try asking the
"Amaryllis/Hippeastrum" forum at Gardenweb, at the following website:
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/

You need to create a user account before you can post or reply to
messages, and rather annoyingly you have to supply address info that
includes a US postcode.

Old 08-11-2006, 01:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Ford Prefect wrote:
My wife has a Hippeastrum papilio that has put out a 'side shoot' or
is it a 'bulb division'? anyway it is now deforming the pot it's in,
is it ok to repot it a this time of the year?? I'm worried the plant
might sustain some damage if it keeps growing at it's present rate in
such restricted space.
I've got a 10cm pot standing by should I just repot the whole thing or
lift and divide it?

I've not grown this hippeastrum, but I would repot either while dormant
or in active growth (not while beginning to die down), taking care not
to disturb the rather brittle roots.

It's best not to over-pot - they seem to flower better when constricted.

Don't worry about damage to the bulb - it's only the pot that is at
risk!
--
Kay

To Repot or Not to Repot Jane Orchids 5 01-09-2008 04:31 PM
To repot or not to repot, that is the question Jane Orchids 21 03-04-2007 05:32 AM
Psichopsis papilio blooming size Ana Orchids 2 28-11-2003 08:05 PM
Hippeastrum Papilio / Butterfly Amaryllis Victoria Clare United Kingdom 3 24-11-2003 05:07 PM
Psychopsis papilio var aurea concolor Mick Fournier Orchids 5 21-06-2003 06:43 AM