GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Greenhouse Base (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/150813-greenhouse-base.html)

Beer Rock 06-11-2006 08:59 AM

Greenhouse Base

Hi

I've inherited a nice old greenhouse from my neighbour, cedarwood frame &
10' x 8'.

I was planning on siting it on a concrete frame base & I've removed the box
rectangle of turf & dug down about 2".

Question is, how deep should the foundations for the base be. Bearing in
mind it will only need to hold the weight of the greenhouse & keep the
timber off the earth.

I was thinking about 2" of crushed hardcore & then 2" of concrete so in the
end the base is about 1" off ground level & about 12" wide.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

David

Keith \(Dorset\)[_1_] 06-11-2006 12:03 PM

Greenhouse Base

David,

Hi,

When we erected our greenhouse 10' x 8' (metal) greenhouse three years ago
we put down 9 inches of hardcore and 4 inches of concrete. That seemed to be
a general reccomendation.

The ground here is approx 18 inches of quite good topsoil, on clay. I guess
there must be stone soon underneath that (as we live at Portland).

It was quite a big job and I had some help from a builder friend to do it.

It has all been well worth it.

Good luck with your project.

Keith

Oxymel of Squill 06-11-2006 01:09 PM

Greenhouse Base

I bought some concrete posts about 6" by 1" and rested mine on them. No
Probs so far, though someone told me I ought to have put some sort of
dampcourse in.

shazzbat 06-11-2006 04:00 PM

Greenhouse Base

"Keith (Dorset)" wrote in message
David,

Hi,

When we erected our greenhouse 10' x 8' (metal) greenhouse three years ago
we put down 9 inches of hardcore and 4 inches of concrete. That seemed to
be a general reccomendation.

That's what ours sits on too. I laid it in 1982, and until last year it was
used for parking a pickup truck on. It seems to support the greenhouse
equally well :-}

Steve

Little Weed 06-11-2006 08:02 PM

Greenhouse Base

shazzbat wrote:
"Keith (Dorset)" wrote in message
David,

Hi,

When we erected our greenhouse 10' x 8' (metal) greenhouse three years ago
we put down 9 inches of hardcore and 4 inches of concrete. That seemed to
be a general reccomendation.

That's what ours sits on too. I laid it in 1982, and until last year it was
used for parking a pickup truck on. It seems to support the greenhouse
equally well :-}

Steve

This sort of relates to the question I asked last night, as we already
have a solid concrete base, but the greenhouse we are thinking of
purchasing comes supplied with a base. I presume that from your query,
a concrete base will be preferable to anything supplied by B & Q!
Perhaps the one we are thinking about is cheap enough to discard the
purchased base?

On this note, will you be using gro-bags, or building in beds?

LW

Beer Rock 06-11-2006 08:09 PM

Greenhouse Base

"Little Weed" wrote in message
ups.com...

shazzbat wrote:
[...]

The plan is to grow in beds - the footings will be just a box frame & a path
up the middle -

Little Weed 06-11-2006 08:22 PM

Greenhouse Base

On this note, will you be using gro-bags, or building in beds?

LW

The plan is to grow in beds - the footings will be just a box frame & a path
up the middle -

Thats what I would like to do - looks much better than bags! and offers
much more space (my greenhouse being the same size as yours)
will stand my corner on this one methinks....
LW

BoyPete 06-11-2006 08:31 PM

Greenhouse Base

My dad put his 8 x 6 in a layer of bricks, 2 wide x 2 high, layed on
compacted ground. 20 odd years ago. It has outlived him.
--
ßôyþëtë

K 06-11-2006 11:02 PM

Greenhouse Base

Little Weed writes

This sort of relates to the question I asked last night, as we already
have a solid concrete base, but the greenhouse we are thinking of
purchasing comes supplied with a base. I presume that from your query,
a concrete base will be preferable to anything supplied by B & Q!
Perhaps the one we are thinking about is cheap enough to discard the
purchased base?

Assuming your base is a solid greenhouse sized block of concrete which
will also form the floor of the greenhouse, what you are likely to get
with the greenhouse is a rectangular metal 'wall' about 6 inches high.
If you fasten that to your concrete base, with the greenhouse on top, it
will give you a little extra height, which is well worth having
--
Kay

®óñ© © ² * ¹°°³ 07-11-2006 02:57 PM

Greenhouse Base

On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 08:02:47 +0000, wrote and included
this (or some of this):

On Mon, 6 Nov 2006 20:09:36 -0000, "Beer Rock"
wrote:

The plan is to grow in beds - the footings will be just a box frame & a path
up the middle -

Our greenhouse is sat on a bed of engineering bricks so the earth can
be used, its sat there for 10 years without a concrete bed.

Ours is set on proper foundations with a one course layer of bricks on
top. Quite OTT, I suspect, but I was younger and dafter then and
quite fancied myself as a rufty-tufty brickie. Perhaps
Time-watch will get their hands on the base some time in the future
and wonder which grubby artisan built it.

--
®óñ© © ² * ¹°°³

--
®óñ© © ² * ¹°°³

Little Weed 07-11-2006 10:19 PM

Greenhouse Base

K wrote:
Little Weed writes

This sort of relates to the question I asked last night, as we already
have a solid concrete base, but the greenhouse we are thinking of
purchasing comes supplied with a base. I presume that from your query,
a concrete base will be preferable to anything supplied by B & Q!
Perhaps the one we are thinking about is cheap enough to discard the
purchased base?

Assuming your base is a solid greenhouse sized block of concrete which
will also form the floor of the greenhouse, what you are likely to get
with the greenhouse is a rectangular metal 'wall' about 6 inches high.
If you fasten that to your concrete base, with the greenhouse on top, it
will give you a little extra height, which is well worth having
--
Kay

Hi Kay
Thankyou so much for that - I will take this on board and am very
likely to use this idea. We will wait until the January sales now
though :)
Best Wishes
LW