Old 08-11-2006, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Default Pelargonium: horizontal stems problem

I've got a pelargonium on the bathroom windowsill, and have encouraged
a couple of horizontal stems to grow across. I'd hoped these, now a bit
over two feet long, might send out flowers at intervals, like some
roses, but after two years they're still obstinately flowering only at
the tips. There are some little shoots, but these never develop
full-sized leaves or flower-buds. Is there anything I can do to
encourage flowering, or will a pelargonium never adopt this habit?

--
Mike.

Old 08-11-2006, 09:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Mike Lyle writes
I've got a pelargonium on the bathroom windowsill, and have encouraged
a couple of horizontal stems to grow across. I'd hoped these, now a bit
over two feet long, might send out flowers at intervals, like some
roses, but after two years they're still obstinately flowering only at
the tips. There are some little shoots, but these never develop
full-sized leaves or flower-buds. Is there anything I can do to
encourage flowering, or will a pelargonium never adopt this habit?

IME, they only flower at the tips. You'd be better to start new cuttings
in separate pots. Or grow something else.
--
Kay
Old 08-11-2006, 10:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

K wrote:
Mike Lyle writes
I've got a pelargonium on the bathroom windowsill, and have encouraged
a couple of horizontal stems to grow across. I'd hoped these, now a bit
over two feet long, might send out flowers at intervals, like some
roses, but after two years they're still obstinately flowering only at
the tips. There are some little shoots, but these never develop
full-sized leaves or flower-buds. Is there anything I can do to
encourage flowering, or will a pelargonium never adopt this habit?

IME, they only flower at the tips. You'd be better to start new cuttings
in separate pots. Or grow something else.

I was afraid you'd say that. Oh, well, nothing ventured...

--
Mike.

Old 08-11-2006, 10:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've got a pelargonium on the bathroom windowsill, and have encouraged
a couple of horizontal stems to grow across. I'd hoped these, now a bit
over two feet long, might send out flowers at intervals, like some
roses, but after two years they're still obstinately flowering only at
the tips. There are some little shoots, but these never develop
full-sized leaves or flower-buds. Is there anything I can do to
encourage flowering, or will a pelargonium never adopt this habit?

I don't think pelargonium flower anywhere except at the tip, which is why
they get leggy if not pruned.

Gill M

Old 08-11-2006, 11:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mike Lyle" wrote
I've got a pelargonium on the bathroom windowsill, and have encouraged
a couple of horizontal stems to grow across. I'd hoped these, now a bit
over two feet long, might send out flowers at intervals, like some
roses, but after two years they're still obstinately flowering only at
the tips. There are some little shoots, but these never develop
full-sized leaves or flower-buds. Is there anything I can do to
encourage flowering, or will a pelargonium never adopt this habit?

If you pinch out the tips of the horizontal side shoots they might just
break all along the stem at every node and these breaks will flower at their
tips. Worth a try.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 09-11-2006, 05:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Mike Lyle" wrote
I've got a pelargonium on the bathroom windowsill, and have encouraged
a couple of horizontal stems to grow across. I'd hoped these, now a bit
over two feet long, might send out flowers at intervals, like some
roses, but after two years they're still obstinately flowering only at
the tips. There are some little shoots, but these never develop
full-sized leaves or flower-buds. Is there anything I can do to
encourage flowering, or will a pelargonium never adopt this habit?

If you pinch out the tips of the horizontal side shoots they might just
break all along the stem at every node and these breaks will flower at their
tips. Worth a try.

Only laziness combined with an affection for the flowers which _do_
appear has previously prevented my trying that. With your moral support
I've just negotiated a compromise with myself, and have ruthlessly
chopped all the tuft of foliage and flowers off one of the stems, and
weighted the naked end down. Wrong time of year, of course; but I
expect my indoor pelargoniums to ignore the seasons, so it can lump it.
I'll report progress, if any.

--
Mike.