Old 09-11-2006, 09:54 PM
Registered User

Location: South Oxfordshire
Default "Mushy Potatoes" - anyone know why?

Hi Folks,

Quick question: one of my clients (I'm a professional gardener, but don't hold that against me) asked me why his entire potato crop, of various types, turned to mush as soon as they were put into boiling water.

I have no idea!!

Desperate to preserve my reputation, I turn to you (picture me with hands out, pleading) for suggestion...

Rachel Aitch
Old 10-11-2006, 04:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 9 Nov 2006 20:54:55 +0000, Rachel Aitch wrote:

Hi Folks,

Quick question: one of my clients (I'm a professional gardener, but
don't hold that against me) asked me why his entire potato crop, of
various types, turned to mush as soon as they were put into boiling
water.

I have no idea!!

Desperate to preserve my reputation, I turn to you (picture me with
hands out, pleading) for suggestion...

Rachel Aitch

It's probably to do with the water content - if, say, the pots got heavily
frosted in the ground, or even frozen, they will cook up really soft and
mushy....
Old 10-11-2006, 11:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Rachel Aitch
writes

Hi Folks,

Quick question: one of my clients (I'm a professional gardener, but
don't hold that against me) asked me why his entire potato crop, of
various types, turned to mush as soon as they were put into boiling
water.

I have no idea!!

Desperate to preserve my reputation, I turn to you (picture me with
hands out, pleading) for suggestion...

Perhaps they had been frozen?
--
June Hughes
Old 10-11-2006, 12:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"June Hughes" wrote in message
In message , Rachel Aitch
writes

Hi Folks,

Quick question: one of my clients (I'm a professional gardener, but
don't hold that against me) asked me why his entire potato crop, of
various types, turned to mush as soon as they were put into boiling
water.

I have no idea!!

Desperate to preserve my reputation, I turn to you (picture me with
hands out, pleading) for suggestion...

Perhaps they had been frozen?

I've had potatoes which turned mushy after a few minutes of boiling, I
reagard that as good (saves energy). But I've never had a potato which
turned to mush as soon as they were put into boiling water. Perhaps it was
an exaggeration?

There again, I start potatoes in cold water, as I was taught.

Has the questioner tried steaming?

Mary
--
June Hughes

Old 10-11-2006, 01:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 11:43:14 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote and included this (or some of this):

Quick question: one of my clients (I'm a professional gardener, but
don't hold that against me) asked me why his entire potato crop, of
various types, turned to mush as soon as they were put into boiling
water.

I have no idea!!

Desperate to preserve my reputation, I turn to you (picture me with
hands out, pleading) for suggestion...

Perhaps they had been frozen?

I've had potatoes which turned mushy after a few minutes of boiling, I
reagard that as good (saves energy). But I've never had a potato which
turned to mush as soon as they were put into boiling water. Perhaps it was
an exaggeration?

Perhaps someone has developed a new "Smash" potato cultivar.

--
®óñ© © ² * ¹°°³

Old 10-11-2006, 02:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 12:47:44 +0000, jane wrote:

On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 03:07:42 GMT, bigjon
wrote:

~On Thu, 9 Nov 2006 20:54:55 +0000, Rachel Aitch wrote:
~
~ Hi Folks,
~
~ Quick question: one of my clients (I'm a professional gardener, but
~ don't hold that against me) asked me why his entire potato crop, of
~ various types, turned to mush as soon as they were put into boiling
~ water.
~
~ I have no idea!!
~
~ Desperate to preserve my reputation, I turn to you (picture me with
~ hands out, pleading) for suggestion...
~
~ Rachel Aitch
~
~It's probably to do with the water content - if, say, the pots got heavily
~frosted in the ground, or even frozen, they will cook up really soft and
~mushy....

Yes, it is water content.
In years when we don't get much rain, the potatoes have a higher
percentage of dry matter, which makes even well-known 'waxy' potatoes
go 'floury'. And the flourys are even drier. This means nearly all
spuds will fall on boiling. Did your client have a very dry veg plot
this year?

I suggest steaming - it does help a bit. Or chips. Or roast potatoes.
(Both do best with floury potatoes).

Or resolve yourself to having gloopy mash. :-)

jane

Chiltern Hills, 140m above sea level.

i don't have a problem - my pots are from tescos....
--
(\__/)
Old 10-11-2006, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 12:11:09 +0000, ®óñ© © ² * ¹°°³ wrote:

On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 11:43:14 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote and included this (or some of this):

Quick question: one of my clients (I'm a professional gardener, but
don't hold that against me) asked me why his entire potato crop, of
various types, turned to mush as soon as they were put into boiling
water.

I have no idea!!

Desperate to preserve my reputation, I turn to you (picture me with
hands out, pleading) for suggestion...

Perhaps they had been frozen?

I've had potatoes which turned mushy after a few minutes of boiling, I
reagard that as good (saves energy). But I've never had a potato which
turned to mush as soon as they were put into boiling water. Perhaps it was
an exaggeration?

Perhaps someone has developed a new "Smash" potato cultivar.

those aliens might have returned to take our potatoes over...
Old 10-11-2006, 05:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"®óñ© © ² * ¹°°³" wrote in message

Perhaps someone has developed a new "Smash" potato cultivar.

I wish I'd thought of that!

Mary

Old 10-11-2006, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mary Fisher wrote:

"®óñ© © ² * ¹°°³" wrote in message

Perhaps someone has developed a new "Smash" potato cultivar.

I wish I'd thought of that!

Mary

You will! :-)

Neil Jones

Old 10-11-2006, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Neil Jones" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:

"®óñ© © ² * ¹°°³" wrote in message

Perhaps someone has developed a new "Smash" potato cultivar.

I wish I'd thought of that!

Mary

You will! :-)

Sadly, I shan't. It will be forgotten :-(

Mary

Old 10-11-2006, 09:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
sam sam is offline

Rachel Aitch wrote:
Hi Folks,

Quick question: one of my clients (I'm a professional gardener, but
don't hold that against me) asked me why his entire potato crop, of
various types, turned to mush as soon as they were put into boiling
water.

I have no idea!!

Desperate to preserve my reputation, I turn to you (picture me with
hands out, pleading) for suggestion...

Rachel Aitch

If this a genuine 'Quick' question and not a 'Trick' question
the answer is obvious. Your client cannot cook !
You do not put potatoes into boiling water ,you put them
into cold water and bring up to the boil.
I'm a bloke and even I know that.
I suggest you ask him to bring a few round then peel and boil
them yourself.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"sam" wrote in message

If this a genuine 'Quick' question and not a 'Trick' question
the answer is obvious. Your client cannot cook !
You do not put potatoes into boiling water ,you put them
into cold water and bring up to the boil.
I'm a bloke and even I know that.
I suggest you ask him to bring a few round then peel and boil
them yourself.

Or don't peel - I don't.

Mary

Old 10-11-2006, 11:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rachel Aitch" wrote via GB, not direct...
Quick question: one of my clients (I'm a professional gardener, but
don't hold that against me) asked me why his entire potato crop, of
various types, turned to mush as soon as they were put into boiling
water.

I have no idea!!

Desperate to preserve my reputation, I turn to you (picture me with
hands out, pleading) for suggestion...

Grown in too dry conditions.
And/or Wrong variety. You don't say which variety but floury ones will do as
you say especially if they have been subject to drought conditions. Try some
waxy ones and/or drought tolerant ones next year.

Kestral (SE), Spey (MC) and Romano (MC) seem Ok for us.
--
Regards
Bob H

Old 11-11-2006, 11:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Rachel Aitch" wrote : one of my clients asked me why his entire
potato crop, turned to mush as soon as they were put into boiling
water.

Grown in too dry conditions.
And/or Wrong variety. You don't say which variety but floury ones
will do as you say especially if they have been subject to drought
conditions. Try some waxy ones and/or drought tolerant ones next
year.

Kestral (SE), Spey (MC) and Romano (MC) seem Ok for us.

For once I judged the weather right this year and started watering the
spuds regularly as soon as the weather turned dry. Most of what we
have at home this year is Desiree (I've grown some Desiree every year
for over 30 years now), and these are some of the best I've had so I'm
convinced it's down to growing conditions. I judge by how they turn
out at home with my wife's cooking because we've had some cooks in the
'big house' over the years who seem to be capable of destroying any
spud you give them.

--
Rod

My real address is rodthegardeneratmyisp

Old 12-11-2006, 01:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rod" wrote after
"Bob Hobden" replied to
[...]

Hello Rod.

Our problem was that this year we had a hosepipe ban from early on (it's
still in place!!!) so all watering was by hand with watering cans. (our
Council also say hosepipes are banned permanently anyway) Rather difficult
to consistently water the spuds that way as well as everything else so
mainly they had to take their chance.

We tried Desiree a couple of times years ago but found them rather prone to
slug damage, obviously not a problem with you.

Regards
Bob.