Old 10-11-2006, 09:45 AM
Registered User

Default Help with Garden Hand Tools

Hi.

Can anybody advise me on the best brand / make of hand tools. It will be a gift for a very keen gardener whose current crop of cheapo tools keep breaking !

Are there any places online that anyone can recommend to buy from as well.

Many thanks.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Lauriejo" wrote in message
:
: Hi.
:
: Can anybody advise me on the best brand / make of hand tools. It will
: be a gift for a very keen gardener whose current crop of cheapo tools
: keep breaking !
:
: Are there any places online that anyone can recommend to buy from as
: well.

Bulldog tools have always had a good name
http://www.bulldogtools.co.uk/docs/home.php

Old 10-11-2006, 04:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Robert" wrote in message

"Lauriejo" wrote in message
:
: Hi.
:
: Can anybody advise me on the best brand / make of hand tools. It will
: be a gift for a very keen gardener whose current crop of cheapo tools
: keep breaking !
:
: Are there any places online that anyone can recommend to buy from as
: well.

Bulldog tools have always had a good name
http://www.bulldogtools.co.uk/docs/home.php

I have a Bulldog wooden-handled garden fork and it's great but I can't
comment on their hand tools. I know the factory in Wigan but upon visiting
the website am shocked to discover that Bulldog owners the Rollins Group
believe that Wigan is in Cheshire (see the Factory Tour page) and what the
hell is a 'Cicstene Monk' (About Us page)...

Old 11-11-2006, 10:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Lauriejo" wrote in message

Hi.

Can anybody advise me on the best brand / make of hand tools. It will
be a gift for a very keen gardener whose current crop of cheapo tools
keep breaking !

Are there any places online that anyone can recommend to buy from as
well.

I have had my Spear and Jackson stainless spades and forks for more than 20
years I also use Wolf tools as I find the interchangeable heads allow me to
have a wide range of infrequently used tools without taking up too much
shed space. gardens4less.co.uk sell these online

Gill M

Old 11-11-2006, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Gill Matthews writes

"Lauriejo" wrote in message

Hi.

Can anybody advise me on the best brand / make of hand tools. It will
be a gift for a very keen gardener whose current crop of cheapo tools
keep breaking !

Are there any places online that anyone can recommend to buy from as
well.

I have had my Spear and Jackson stainless spades and forks for more than 20
years

My Spear and Jackson stainless steel fork lost a tine after about 1
year.
--
Kay

Old 11-11-2006, 07:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
Gill Matthews writes

"Lauriejo" wrote in message

Hi.

Can anybody advise me on the best brand / make of hand tools. It will
be a gift for a very keen gardener whose current crop of cheapo tools
keep breaking !

Are there any places online that anyone can recommend to buy from as
well.

I have had my Spear and Jackson stainless spades and forks for more than
20
years

My Spear and Jackson stainless steel fork lost a tine after about 1 year.

Well I don't know whether its me that's lucky or you that's unlucky but
various other family members have tools of the same make with no probs

Gill M

Old 11-11-2006, 11:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

You could try the Sneeboer range of hand tools available from Harrod
Horticultural. They are expensive, but the particular tools that we
have bought are not readiily available elsewhere, and the quality is
excellent. They even have two hand tool sets (priced at £54.50 each).
Check out the website at:
www.harrodhorticultural.com

Kristina
on the Black Isle
www.spanglefish.com/OldOrchard/

Old 12-11-2006, 12:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , K
writes

My Spear and Jackson stainless steel fork lost a tine after about 1
year.

Mine also!
However I do have the Wolf interchangeable head range of tools and they
are wonderful. The current ranges are well built and sturdy, and you can
put a longer or shorter handle on each tool. Having a longer handle on
the hand fork makes weeding etc much easier somehow.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 12-11-2006, 12:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article .com,
Kristina writes
You could try the Sneeboer range of hand tools available from Harrod
Horticultural. They are expensive,

What about a proper Sussex trug? That's always something that a gardener
would want but never actually get round to buy.

Old 12-11-2006, 09:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article .com,
Kristina writes
You could try the Sneeboer range of hand tools available from Harrod
Horticultural. They are expensive,

What about a proper Sussex trug? That's always something that a
gardener would want but never actually get round to buy.

There is a lovely man who frequents craft shows and makes really useful
trugs. All you need is a little linseed oil to coat them with and you
can leave them out all winter without a problem.
--
June Hughes

Old 13-11-2006, 09:04 AM
Registered User

Location: south west france

Quote:
Originally Posted by June Hughes
There is a lovely man who frequents craft shows and makes really useful
trugs. All you need is a little linseed oil to coat them with and you
can leave them out all winter without a problem.
--
June Hughes
Hi , that's a good idea for the trug. Best to use *boiled* linseed oil (you can get It at B&Q) - it will soak well into the wood and won't remain sticky. I'm going to do mine today!

Jay Jay
Old 13-11-2006, 07:23 PM
Registered User

Location: South Oxfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriejo
Hi.

Can anybody advise me on the best brand / make of hand tools. It will be a gift for a very keen gardener whose current crop of cheapo tools keep breaking !

Many thanks.
Have to say that I used to use quality tools, but they kept breaking (don't talk to me about Spear & Jackson 25 yr guarantee fork: two weeks, two tines bent, huh.) so I now use the cheapest I can get.

I find that they last just as well as "posh" ones, and it doesn't break my heart if I lose them, or if they break.

Must admit that I am very hard on my tools: I often use the small one in my hand rather than go back to my car for a bigger one (I am paid by the minute, after all!) which can mean death for secateurs.

I actually use, on a daily basis:

Daisy grubber and trowel from B&Q. They last for months.

Secateurs from Robert Dyas £4.99. Current ones have been going for 8 months, I sharpen them with a harsh diamond stick every day or so, really roughly. I never oil them.

Loppers from Robert Dyas about £10, as per secateurs: I fretsaw off the handles until they are only about 15" long, as I find them much handier at that length.

There's a good range of really cheap, bright blue plastic-handled spades/forks, called something like "i-ball", several of my clients have them, and I use them a lot, even in preference to my own tools.

Final comment: right tool for the right job is the way to make them last (said she, holier than thou and chopping great thick branches with her secateurs, he he.), along with scraping the mud off them each day.

Hope this helps.
__________________
www.Rachel-The-Gardener.co.uk (still building website, don't expect too much!)
Jobbing Gardener, South Oxfordshire
Living Willow Sculptures and Plant Sales
Old 23-11-2006, 07:01 PM
Registered User

Thanks for all your replys.

It has been really helpful
Old 25-06-2013, 09:52 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriejo View Post
Hi.

Can anybody advise me on the best brand / make of hand tools. It will be a gift for a very keen gardener whose current crop of cheapo tools keep breaking !

Are there any places online that anyone can recommend to buy from as well.

Many thanks.

KNIPEX is better.
Old 25-06-2013, 09:57 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JebbyCarl View Post
KNIPEX is better.
Yeah, but bearing in mind the last post in this thread was 7 years ago, it may be a bit late for the OP!

Japanese Hand Garden Tools Bill who putters Edible Gardening 3 05-01-2011 06:30 PM
floral tools,floral garden tools,floral hand tools supplier in china [email protected] Australia 0 17-09-2007 01:38 PM
Clarington Forge garden tools from Bulldog Tools, UK Robert Larson Gardening 0 31-03-2007 05:32 PM
garden hand tools Jen Gardening 5 05-01-2006 11:36 PM
Teens and Abortion; Hand in Hand?: Is It the Answer? Michael Calwell Ponds 12 20-05-2005 02:00 AM