Old 08-11-2006, 04:25 PM
Registered User

Unhappy small brown clover!!!!!!!!!!

can anyone tell me what the small brown clover like weed that came up all over my plant pots
this year..It seems to get a hold on everthing that is in the garden! (how do I get rid of it?) solaara
Old 08-11-2006, 08:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default small brown clover!!!!!!!!!!

In message , solaara
writes

can anyone tell me what the small brown clover like weed that came up
all over my plant pots
this year..It seems to get a hold on everthing that is in the garden!
(how do I get rid of it?) solaara

Perhaps its one of the Oxalises. The one I know as Yellow Oxalis comes
to mind.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 08-11-2006, 08:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

solaara wrote:
can anyone tell me what the small brown clover like weed that came up
all over my plant pots
this year..It seems to get a hold on everthing that is in the garden!
(how do I get rid of it?) solaara

Trifolium? Do you have flowers on it? To minimise it everywhere, just
make sure it doesn't seed everywhere by removing the flowers as soon as
they appear )

Old 08-11-2006, 09:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"solaara" wrote
can anyone tell me what the small brown clover like weed that came up
all over my plant pots this year..It seems to get a hold on everthing
that is in the garden!
(how do I get rid of it?) solaara

With little yellow flowers? I think it's some sort of creeping oxalis.
As for getting rid, I wish I knew - it's invading me too! Glyphosate
painted on will kill it, or if it's in too closely with other things I
think you just have to weed, weed and weed again. But it seems to seed
like crazy if you take your eyes off it for ten seconds, so it keeps
coming back. :-/

--
Sue

Old 08-11-2006, 09:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 8 Nov 2006 16:25:52 +0000, solaara
wrote:

can anyone tell me what the small brown clover like weed that came up
all over my plant pots
this year..It seems to get a hold on everthing that is in the garden!
(how do I get rid of it?) solaara

I agree with SRH; it's an oxalis, probably O. corniculata and IMO an
invasive weed that will quickly spread by both seed and runners. I
have a few in my garden. They come in with almost everything. Peat,
bark chips, plants bought from garden centres etc. The purplish brown
leaves can be difficult to spot against dark brown soil, but the
bright yellow flowers give them away. Pull them up wherever you see
them, making sure you get the root out. I don't put them on the
compost heap but bin or burn them. Don't let them to set seed.

--
Chris

Old 08-11-2006, 09:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
ned ned is offline

"solaara" wrote in message

can anyone tell me what the small brown clover like weed that came

up
all over my plant pots
this year..It seems to get a hold on everthing that is in the

garden!
(how do I get rid of it?) solaara

I've actually seen it for sale in a garden centre!
"Oh yes, Sir. Very effective ground cover."

But I can vouch for persistent weeding to get rid of it.
No, I didn't buy mine. I was aware of what it was when I saw it for
sale.
:-)

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk

Old 09-11-2006, 07:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Użytkownik "Sue" napisał w wiadomo¶ci
reenews.net...

"solaara" wrote
can anyone tell me what the small brown clover like weed that came up
all over my plant pots this year..It seems to get a hold on everthing
that is in the garden!
(how do I get rid of it?) solaara

With little yellow flowers? I think it's some sort of creeping oxalis.
As for getting rid, I wish I knew - it's invading me too! Glyphosate
painted on will kill it, or if it's in too closely with other things I
think you just have to weed, weed and weed again. But it seems to seed
like crazy if you take your eyes off it for ten seconds, so it keeps
coming back. :-/

Oxalis corniculata perhaps?
(http://www.robsplants.com/plants/OxaliCorni.php) If so, I too have it ;(

Regards, Barbara.

Old 10-11-2006, 10:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

can anyone tell me what the small brown clover like weed that came up
all over my plant pots
this year..It seems to get a hold on everthing that is in the garden!
(how do I get rid of it?)

I first discovered this oxalis in the late 60s in the garden of a NEW
house, probably brought in with pot plants.
I have moved house once in the meantime, and still have it in
abundance. I can contain it with weedkiller in my gravel, but in pots
it is getting hard to pull out because my sight is failing.
I just have to live with it. It really does no harm, but is just a
nuisance. I have another oxalis with similar yellow flowers but green
leaves. It is just as much of a nuisance, but slightly smaller.

One winter I tried using a glyphosate-based weedkiller on it in a pot
which had a grass in, which had died down. I thought the stuff would
only affect growing leaves, but the grass only just survived the next
year. Lesson learned!

Pam in Bristol
Old 10-11-2006, 10:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

can anyone tell me what the small brown clover like weed that came up
all over my plant pots
this year..It seems to get a hold on everthing that is in the garden!
(how do I get rid of it?)

Oh dear, am I the only one on the group who likes this little plant :-)

kate
Old 11-11-2006, 12:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message

can anyone tell me what the small brown clover like weed that came up
all over my plant pots
this year..It seems to get a hold on everthing that is in the garden!
(how do I get rid of it?)

Oh dear, am I the only one on the group who likes this little plant :-)

kate

No . I like it also. It has just made an appearance in a patch of the garden
where few things grow-so it is most welcome. My mother used to grow them as
houseplants (bless)

Old 11-11-2006, 09:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

can anyone tell me what the small brown clover like weed that came up
all over my plant pots
this year..It seems to get a hold on everthing that is in the garden!
(how do I get rid of it?)

Oh dear, am I the only one on the group who likes this little plant :-)

kate

No . I like it also. It has just made an appearance in a patch of the garden
where few things grow-so it is most welcome. My mother used to grow them as
houseplants (bless)

Ahhh thank goodness for that, my family think I am a little odd but
seeing that I am the head and only gardener I grow what I like :-)

kate
Old 11-11-2006, 09:18 PM
Registered User

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate Morgan

can anyone tell me what the small brown clover like weed that came up
all over my plant pots
this year..It seems to get a hold on everthing that is in the garden!
(how do I get rid of it?)

Oh dear, am I the only one on the group who likes this little plant :-)

kate

No . I like it also. It has just made an appearance in a patch of the garden
where few things grow-so it is most welcome. My mother used to grow them as
houseplants (bless)

Ahhh thank goodness for that, my family think I am a little odd but
seeing that I am the head and only gardener I grow what I like :-)

kate
My thanks to all those who knew exactly what it was... I shall take steps to eradicate it forthwith!! solaara....