Old 12-11-2006, 12:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mother in Law's Tongue

I have recently moved home and my previously healthy and huge
Mother-in-Law's Tongue
plant seems to be dying, with one spike after another drooping. I have
cut off the drooping
ones and it is now getting rather sparse.

I have not over-watered it as far as I know and have given it no water
in the past week, but
still the drooping continues. It is not sitting in water either.

Anyone know of any way I can save the life of this plant? I have had
it for several years and
want it to live!

Old 12-11-2006, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have recently moved home and my previously healthy and huge
Mother-in-Law's Tongue
plant seems to be dying, with one spike after another drooping. I have
cut off the drooping
ones and it is now getting rather sparse.

I have not over-watered it as far as I know and have given it no water
in the past week, but
still the drooping continues. It is not sitting in water either.

Anyone know of any way I can save the life of this plant? I have had
it for several years and
want it to live!

Maybe it got chilled in the move?
Perhaps it's in a totally different spot now (sunnier/darker/draughty) ?

Maybe you could take some cuttings to make new plants:
http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile...af_cutting.asp
http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plan...ifasciata.html

Jenny

Old 12-11-2006, 09:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
I have recently moved home and my previously healthy and huge
Mother-in-Law's Tongue
plant seems to be dying, with one spike after another drooping. I have
cut off the drooping
ones and it is now getting rather sparse.
I have not over-watered it as far as I know and have given it no water
in the past week, but
still the drooping continues. It is not sitting in water either.
Anyone know of any way I can save the life of this plant? I have had
it for several years and
want it to live!

We have a trifiaciata (green and yellow stripe). I wouldn't say ours is
huge, but we have perhaps 6 plants in one, if you know what I mean.
Recently I repoted to make 2 pots as one looked too heavy for the pot.
Yours sounds that it had either been too watered or not enough! Ours
wilt if it needs water.

They need light and sun, so first try to find or recreate the same
position in your new house to where it was in your old one. How long
have you had yours in it's pot? What I would do is take it out of its
pot and save the ones that are firm and healthy - they have stolens and
it's easy to devide them. You need to be gentle though. Repot in a mix
of suculent/cacti mix compost and water just to firm, but that's all.
They need to be kept dry in winter. I would finally wipe down any dust
on the leaves just in case something got on it whilst you moved house
because these plants are sensitive and are well known for cleaning the
air in the room. I've also heard that they are suseptible to asbestos
..... ! Good luck.

Old 14-11-2006, 08:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 12, 9:37 pm, "La Puce" wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Many thanks. It did indeed suffer after the move having been left out
in the
garden for a day or two - and this in Sussex in England in the, albeit
fairly mild,
winter! It seems to be bearing up now with no more drooping in the
last couple
of days. I would not dream of trying to take a cutting as I am a sham
of a
gardener. I wuld probably end up killing the poor thing. I am hoping
it will survive on its own. Thanks again to you all for the advice.
You may have helped this plant to live.