GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Tree Peony (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/150910-tree-peony.html)

david 12-11-2006 03:56 PM

Tree Peony

I planted a tree peony a few months ago and all looked well, now all the
leaves are falling off - is this normal for the season or do I have a
problem?

Gill Matthews[_2_] 12-11-2006 07:53 PM

Tree Peony

"david" wrote in message
I planted a tree peony a few months ago and all looked well, now all the
leaves are falling off - is this normal for the season or do I have a
problem?

I Think they are deciduous at least the leaves fall off my tree peony every
year and grow back in the spring I can see big buds where the new growth
will break out

Gill M

Bob Hobden 12-11-2006 11:37 PM

Tree Peony

"david" wrote
I planted a tree peony a few months ago and all looked well, now all the
leaves are falling off - is this normal for the season or do I have a
problem?

Yes, it's normal and possibly but not necessarily.
Does it have healthy buds where the leaves are falling off from?
These buds should swell considerably at the end of winter, if they don't you
have a problem.

--
Regards
Bob H

sam 13-11-2006 07:26 PM

Tree Peony

david wrote:
I planted a tree peony a few months ago and all looked well, now all the
leaves are falling off - is this normal for the season or do I have a
problem?

Normal, David. You will also find that tree peonies take a few years to
come into bloom,
But don't give up. They come at a fairly inactive time in the garden,
when the spring
bulbs have died down and before the summer bedding blooms. They deserve to
have the garden to themselves, they are so beautiful.
Feed them well!