Old 18-11-2006, 11:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Kill filing

"WaltA" wrote in message

and it says more about their self-perceived status as divas (or
harridans) that they think we are remotely concerened.

Like I said previously, they disrispect the rest of us by continuing
their grandstanding.

And you're going to show your respect for the group by actually
naming names, rather than engaging in innuendos aren't you ?

So who exactly are these divas and harridans ?

All I do know is that some people do have a very dry sense of
humour, whilst other poor souls aren't exactly the sharpest
knives in the box.

So come on! Name names ! Wimp !

michael adams

Old 18-11-2006, 11:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"michael adams" wrote in message
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message
"michael adams" wrote in message

And do you think constantly referring to her as Puke, is the

best
way
to go about achieving that objective ?

Michael, I think you are being disingenuous.

May I suggest you try looking in a dictionary, before you start

using
long words whose actual you maybe unaware of ?

Never fear Michael, I own the full 20 volume OED. Pity you need to
have a smiley face inserted before you can recognise a tongue firmly
in cheek.

disingenouous -

That is not how you spell it. Try getting a dictionary.

insincere, lacking in frankness, or honesty
fraudulent

Puke has been asked
nicely and she has been asked nastily to disappear or to modify

her
behaviour. And this has been done a number of times. Nothing

works
so whatever she is called is irrelevant.

I could see some point to your comment about not calling her Puke,

IF
Puce was her real name. It isn't. No one is playing with her

sense
of self identity except for herself. As you also probably know

the
history, she's changed that identity a number of times.

I also suggest you get a clue about Usenet, and the way it actually

works.
Trolls like nothing better than to see other posters expressing

their
displeasure. She must really "hate" being called Puke. Oh yes of

course
she does ! Puce would never act in such a way as to cause people
to call her rude names now would she ? Oh no of course she

wouldn't!
Which then gives her yet another pretext to whinge and adopt a pose
of injured self righteosness. The penny might finally drop with some
people eventually. But somehow I doubt it.

Much of that last paragraph is supposed to be ironical BTW. Just
in case.

Gosh you're quick aren't you? You miss the point entirely because I
didn't put in a ":-))))" for you to focus on! I was agreeing with
you, you idiot! Puke is a troll and nothing will change her! What a
disappointment you turned out to be.

One thing you can be sure of, is that trolls don't operate
kill files. And so yet again, she can witness other posters arguing
among themselves

Well you can argue with yourself on this one. I can only suggest you
try and persuade someone to buy you a dictionary for Christmas.
And in the meantime, so as not to give further succour to the troll,
you too can go in the cupboard.

Gutless wonder!

Old 18-11-2006, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Anne Jackson" wrote in message
The message from "Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow contains these words:
"Anne Jackson" wrote in message
The message from "Alan Holmes" contains

these words:

And it's !PLONK!

Oh, the power, the power!

I recall reading somewhere that in a home computer, there was more
computer capacity than was used to send Man to the moon.

So, thanks to Mr Microsoft, I can now killfile people such as Puke and
her encouragers like Uncle Marvo and Dementor and Nasty Mike etc. And
I can do so till the cows come home because I have so much bang for my
buck on this wee machine. Life is grand, or would be if the frosts
would stop.

Oh, hang on to them for a wee while, huh? I've still got some bulbs
to plant in the new beds...which the local cats have now discovered. 8-(

How easy would it be to put an airgun pellet in the rear quarters
of a moggie, from 15 yards, d'you reckon? (I'm more used to shooting
arrows!) g

I've used both, so there!

And proper guns with real bullets!

I wouldn't normally mind so much, but that 20' cypressus took two
whole weekends of damned hard work to clear out, and I didn't plan
on having a feline toilet in its place.... 8-(

Lucky you, I have to put up with those damned tree rats, you can always
stroke a cat you know.

Alan

--
AnneJ

Old 18-11-2006, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"June Hughes" wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"Anne Jackson" wrote in message
.. .

(I'm more used to shooting
arrows!) g

Are you? I didn't know that ... but would like to know more. Mail might be
better.

As I would like to know more too, perhaps it had better be here. A good
friend of mine teaches archery.

It's very simple, you place the arrow against the cord on the bow, pull it
back, look at the target, close your eyes and let go!

Alan

--
June Hughes

Old 18-11-2006, 08:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes
I have every sympathy with those
who kill file

I understand their reasons for doing so and I sympathise with their
impatience with her methods but she, Puke, DID come here purporting to give
gardening advice. As a result of that, she should have been read and
watched when it became apparent that much of what she wrote was not good
advice at all. IMO, the group and all those asking advice of it, deserve
the vigilance of everyone posting here. A very few of us adhered to that
and as a result, we received a horrible amount of abuse and Judith was
subjected to a torrent of it.

Yes, I admitted I was one of those Sacha, I had killfiled three or four
of them.

However it wasn't JUST to ignore posters who felt that personally
attacking other newsgroup users was a substitute for lack of knowledge!

I felt that, and indeed still feel, that an audience and a reaction is
what they want, just like toddlers, or indeed puppies. Ignoring
behaviour designed to elicit a reaction, generally pays dividends.
Why waste time and energy on users who do not like to be corrected nor
like their mistakes to be public knowledge?

That was my reasoning, but I am very sad that after all this time, this
inaction on my part resulted in losing gardeners such as Judith who have
never given cause for offence nor been anything but amiable and keen to
share misfortune as well as success in their gardening.

It was not just Janet and you who ceased posting but probably many
others (including David) who also stopped contributing to the threads or
just visiting the group.

Many of those that left have forgotten more gardening knowledge than
many ever accumulate! We lost several people who could speak through
experience and practical hands-on gardening, not just ready to spout
reams of text gleaned from the odd book.
I know we still continue to see some of these calibre of gardeners (e.g.
Charlie) but we are poorer for losing those that went.

The people who insult and threaten obviously think that their methods
can reduce this group to a few who will not object to mistaken advice,
or even worse, point it out!

IMO, the lesson to be learned from this is that if you kill file over
zealously, you lose the thread - literally - and then, you lose the group.
If you're a member of a group, then I think it is up to you to make sure the
group remains healthy.

Personally I've always found Janet, Judith, David and you, to name but a
few, happy to share horticultural knowledge, keen to enthuse novices and
ready to show a friendly and encouraging face to fellow gardeners.

However Sacha PLEASE say there HAS to be room for those who want to
learn here, who want to feel their way in the group, but don't
necessarily have the appetite for head-on collisions with those dafter
elements of internet society, or don't feel confident enough to question
some of the more stupid advice that they read.

Believe me, readers soon get to know which posters are worth reading,
worth asking advice, or worth trusting with gardening knowledge!

Maybe it's the English in us, but that doesn't mean we don't regret
losing those that departed, though we still find it difficult to wade
in!
Perhaps the answer is to try and read everything if we have time, but
with 400 emails alone a day I admit to picking and choosing.

I will try harder

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 18-11-2006, 11:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet Tweedy wrote:

Yes, I admitted I was one of those Sacha, I had killfiled three or four
of them.

That's no problem Janet.

there HAS to be room for those who want to
learn here, who want to feel their way in the group, but don't
necessarily have the appetite for head-on collisions with those dafter
elements of internet society, or don't feel confident enough to question
some of the more stupid advice that they read.

Absolutely Janet and I am grateful to you for your supporting emails
(and plants) but I have moved on and I would prefer that no reference
to past problems are made on urg.

I'm ready for the next lot of plants but I still have not paid the
postage on the last lot, when are you going to tell me how much I owe
you?

p.s. I gave some of your plants to a French General in my village in
France, he was delighted as he wants to create an English Garden!!!!

Kind regards

Judith

Old 19-11-2006, 01:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
, Farm1
writes
"michael adams" wrote in message

And do you think constantly referring to her as Puke, is the best

way
to go about achieving that objective ?

Michael, I think you are being disingenuous. Puke has been asked
nicely and she has been asked nastily to disappear or to modify her
behaviour. And this has been done a number of times. Nothing works
so whatever she is called is irrelevant.

I could see some point to your comment about not calling her Puke, IF
Puce was her real name. It isn't. No one is playing with her sense
of self identity except for herself. As you also probably know the
history, she's changed that identity a number of times.

All you and Sacha and Judith et al have to do is ignore her - it is that
simple - calling her childish names is only going to wind her up as you
are undoubtedly aware.
--
Robert
Old 19-11-2006, 07:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/11/06 23:10, in article
, "judith lea"
wrote:

Janet Tweedy wrote:

[...]

I like the idea of plants being given new homes in various parts of the
globe - very charming way of extending the hand of friendship.

The French seem to be having a bit of a vogue for English style gardens at
present. And a few years ago I was in Normandy where the mayor's wife had
just done a day course on how to plant English-style hanging baskets!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 19-11-2006, 10:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article .com,
judith lea writes
I'm ready for the next lot of plants but I still have not paid the
postage on the last lot, when are you going to tell me how much I owe
you?

Think of it as a loss leader

Will see what I have around to put in the post next week. What about
gladiolus papillio?

p.s. I gave some of your plants to a French General in my village in
France, he was delighted as he wants to create an English Garden!!!!

Well as long as they are under the auspices of a gardener I am happy!

janet

Old 19-11-2006, 10:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes

And a few years ago I was in Normandy where the mayor's wife had
just done a day course on how to plant English-style hanging baskets!

Bit OT but my hanging basket at the front now has better pink petunias
than it did in the summer! Really irritating as I know the frost will
eventually get it, though it must have been frosted as the nemesia seems
to have gone in the same basket.
Old 19-11-2006, 10:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:

I had no idea Judith was going to post tonight.

You mean you're not actually telepathic?

But I am very glad she has
because she has exposed the malice directed at the very heart of her life
and career.

Ah, well you see, it's difficult for me to comment on that. I noted in
the raspberry thread that she hopped in entirely O.T. to give as good
as she got, but couldn't see the bit she *must* have got.
But then, that's my problem... no time... awkward schedule... heaps
goes by.

And I would like just to say this - while I have every sympathy with those
who kill file persistent cross posting and off topic trolls,

can't kilfile... google!

I would also
like to point out that many of those who emailed me and Judith about what
was done to her said they didn't know about it because they had kill filed
Puke.

See, if I'm to know who's who, then incorrect names don't help.

I understand their reasons for doing so and I sympathise with their
impatience with her methods but she, Puke, DID come here purporting to give
gardening advice. As a result of that, she should have been read and
watched when it became apparent that much of what she wrote was not good
advice at all.

Must have missed it. What I did notice was on the raspberry thing.
Apparently some say a particular variety can be pruned now, some say it
can't. Someone (?) unkindly suggested Puce was merely trotting out
what's in her gardening books and the clear implication being that said
books are wrong!
I didn't have the time to go through all that raspberry thread, and so
never found out if anyone had posted the science behind why and what...
as might explain why a particular plant reacts to seasonal pruning,
especially so as to determine it's possible outcome in unseasonal
times.

IMO, the group and all those asking advice of it, deserve
the vigilance of everyone posting here.

I.e. policing the group.
As opposed to responding with scientific data as may support a
difference in opinion.

A very few of us adhered to that
and as a result, we received a horrible amount of abuse and Judith was
subjected to a torrent of it.

And returned in (un)kind (-;

If you - all of us - want this to be a real group we ALL have to look after
it. We ALL have to make sure it is not abused by *anyone*. I am not
interested in garden machinery or growing leeks but I did, at least, skim
every thread to see what was going on.

Policing again!

If people don't do that, they miss
what was being done to Judith and could be done to others.

And miss all the bad behaviour on (mostly) your team.

Sorry but that
won't do. A couple of years ago, a very valuable poster to this group
remarked that people were coming here, taking what they wanted and otherwise
contributing nothing.

As one who used to regularly contribute, until I felt a cold wind of
unwelcoming, now I find it best to just visit, take and leave!

She predicted then that this would damage urg and I
admit freely that I thought she was exaggerating. I was wrong and she was
right and she is another who has gone, as have several other real experts.
That "Pull up the ladder Jack, I'm alright" outlook was why Judith was
treated so appallingly. Afterwards, several people expressed their private
regrets to me in emails but too late. URG has been horribly tainted by this
closing of the eyes to what does not affect the individual and it seems to
me that it should never be allowed to happen again.

Old 19-11-2006, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"a.c." wrote in message
oups.com...

Sacha wrote:

snipped

Ah, well you see, it's difficult for me to comment on that.

Must have missed it. .

I.e. policing the group.

Policing again!

And miss all the bad behaviour on (mostly) your team.

Three words. P.. K..... B....

Three more.

hth

michael adams

Old 19-11-2006, 11:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

michael adams wrote:

"a.c." wrote in message
oups.com...

Sacha wrote:

snipped

Ah, well you see, it's difficult for me to comment on that.

Must have missed it. .

I.e. policing the group.

Policing again!

And miss all the bad behaviour on (mostly) your team.

Three words. P.. K..... B....

Three more.

hth

michael adams

Err... sorry.. it's definetly whoooosh time for me.
I got whatt seems to be a fertilizer reference (P & K...??? without the
N, being not such a good thing at this time of year.)
(B... boran?)

hth... no clue.

Old 19-11-2006, 11:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet Tweedy wrote:

Think of it as a loss leader

Loss Leader???

Will see what I have around to put in the post next week. What about
gladiolus papillio?

Yes please - is it too late to plant now? the clay is like concrete
today - what a cold night and one that brought in mice to the attic. I
was woken at 5p.m. by the sound of a trap going off and then another
one within a few minutes - I have no idea how mice get into attics, the
rVermin man told me to down a clematis which has (slightly) gone under
the tiles, could he be right?

p.s. I gave some of your plants to a French General in my village in
France, he was delighted as he wants to create an English Garden!!!!

Well as long as they are under the auspices of a gardener I am happy!

He and his wife are certainly very keen but like me do not have great
knowledge of in depth gardening. However, I have to say that the
cuttings of things in my garden in EnglandI that I gave to them about
15 years ago, of various shrubs, now seem to be abounding throughout
the entire village.

I have a lot of datura seed, white, if anyone would like some - email
me. It is true Datura and not what is sold in some places as Datura,
David Poole kindly confirmed that in a thread some years ago when I
asked how to overwinter the plants.