Old 19-11-2006, 10:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Advise required on moving a peoni

Ok so I am still here and have not attracted anything nasty yet so lets go
for a question. We have two peonies (not sure if this is correct spelling)
growing in an area we are changing to lawn. Can anyone advise on the best
time/method to move them as I seem to recall they are not easy plants to
move.

Mike

Old 20-11-2006, 03:33 PM
Registered User

Location: South Oxfordshire

Quote:
"Muddymike" says:
We have two peonies (not sure if this is correct spelling)
growing in an area we are changing to lawn. Can anyone advise on the best
time/method to move them as I seem to recall they are not easy plants to
move.

Mi Mike,

I'm with Sascha on this one, I've moved peonies (well, that's how I spell it anyway) and some have been fine, although in fairness I have to say that some have sulked.

However, I've had clients with peonies that had never been known to flower: I'd moved them, planted them (as Sasha said) more shallowly, and they flowered the very next season.

My personal advice, dig 'em up, shake off as much soil as you can and if they are big clumps, split them up: often you will find that shaking off the soil will separate them for you.

Before digging them up, prepare your planting hole: dig over the soil, remove weeds, roots, stones etc, add muck etc and mix well. Make the holes wide, but shallow: and form the soil left in the hole into a shallow pyramid, such that you can "sit" the peony crown in the centre, with the fat tubers sloping gently downward, but not going too deep. Then gently fill the loose soil around the tubers, personally I go for having about half an inch of soil over them for most of their length. Don't forget to chop off all the foliage before you replant them, otherwise the wind will rock them - just like Iris plants - and they won't re-establish themselves.

If you're not sure about the "correct" depth, find a friend whose peonies flower well, and gently scrape away the soil to see how far down their tubers are. That might give you a feel for it.

It's getting a bit late now, but I'd still do it now, rather than leaving it until spring. I think they'll be less disturbed if you do it now, rather than waiting: but that's only my opinion, and others may suggest different.

Have fun!
__________________
www.Rachel-The-Gardener.co.uk (still building website, don't expect too much!)
Jobbing Gardener, South Oxfordshire
Living Willow Sculptures and Plant Sales
Old 20-11-2006, 04:00 PM
Registered User

[quote=Rachel Aitch]

However, I've had clients with peonies that had never been known to flower: I'd moved them, planted them (as Sasha said) more shallowly, and they flowered the very next season.

QUOTE]

One that was in my garden when I moved in 3 years ago has never flowered.

In an "I'll teach you a lesson" moment, I dug it up and planted it quite accidentally very shallowly elsewhere........I await to see what happens next year!! But I dare say, it will have learnt its lesson and produce some lovely blooms.

Old 20-11-2006, 06:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

a.c. wrote:

Sacha wrote:

On 19/11/06 10:41, in article ,
"Muddymike" wrote:

Ok so I am still here and have not attracted anything nasty yet so lets go
for a question. We have two peonies (not sure if this is correct spelling)
growing in an area we are changing to lawn. Can anyone advise on the best
time/method to move them as I seem to recall they are not easy plants to
move.

Strictly speaking, early autumn is the best time, though you could probably
risk it now unless your ground is very frosted when the plants might resent
having to start all over again in a cold bed! They like a sunny or lightly
shaded spot and shouldn't be planted too deeply - about 2 or 3 inches below
the surface is fine.

The "not easy plants to move" was once dealt with (telly gardening) by
a main grower who pointed out it was a myth, relating to non-flowering
after moving, caused mainly by re-planting too deeply. He suggested
planting to a depth as allows the buds (crown) to remain just still
visible.

If they're old plants they'll benefit from being
divided into crowns containing 3 or 4 eyes each. Peony/peonies is fine and
Paeonia is the latin.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

On second thoughts........ you already have the plants
growing............. presumably flowering, or you'd be more thinking
along the lines of chucking them..... so..... plant at same depth!
Of course I'm assuming from one soil type to same. If not, and if
they'll dry out more easily, (not deeply planted) then make soil
changes to around about what they're used to.
What I can't help you on is whether a heavy weed-suppressing mulch will
adversely affect the depth planted / flower producing ratio, but my
guess is it could.

LINDA WEST of CHIPMAN UNITED VAN LINES likes to commit Fraud & Forgery and she likes to put peoples names on moving contracts without there Knowledge. Caton Mayflower Moving & Storage Movers & Relocation Dublin,ca & concord,ca 925) 876-7441, 925-887- vinkovci United Kingdom 1 11-10-2005 10:48 PM
MOVING-help w/ moving fish and temporary pond Judi9000 Ponds 9 25-05-2004 03:02 AM
Advise required on hawthorn hedging rob w United Kingdom 19 23-08-2003 02:32 AM
Old aluminium roof under pond liner,good idea or not? please advise John Ponds 4 29-01-2003 08:03 PM
Old aluminium roof on top of pond liner,good idea or not? please advise John Ponds 2 28-01-2003 06:00 PM