GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   growing dill (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/151070-growing-dill.html)

KK 20-11-2006 12:57 PM

growing dill

Hello

Is it possible to grow Dill in a pot during the winter, either indoors or in
an unheated G'house ?

Thanks

KK

John McMillan 21-11-2006 12:05 PM

growing dill

In article ,
"KK" wrote:

Hello

Is it possible to grow Dill in a pot during the winter, either indoors or in
an unheated G'house ?

Shouldn't think so. Its an annual that needs light and some warmth.
Without you'll get straggly etiolated plants, if it bothers to germinate
at all. Indoors with some artificial light is probably your only hope.

I assume you want to eat it rather than admire the foliage.
Dried dill tastes of nothing or worse. Dill does freeze, in fact I think
Birds-Eye had frozen dill in their herbs in boxes range. Indian
supermarkets often have big bunches of fresh dill for less than
a pound - grown in Kenya or somewhere ?
Its possible to freeze these. The texture
goes and the colour isn't helped by freezing but it tastes OK on thawing.

John McMillan 21-11-2006 02:45 PM

growing dill

In article ,
John McMillan wrote:

In article ,
"KK" wrote:

Hello

Is it possible to grow Dill in a pot during the winter, either indoors or in
an unheated G'house ?

Shouldn't think so. Its an annual that needs light and some warmth.
Without you'll get straggly etiolated plants, if it bothers to germinate
at all. Indoors with some artificial light is probably your only hope.

I assume you want to eat it rather than admire the foliage.
Dried dill tastes of nothing or worse. Dill does freeze, in fact I think
Birds-Eye had frozen dill in their herbs in boxes range. Indian
supermarkets often have big bunches of fresh dill for less than
a pound - grown in Kenya or somewhere ?
Its possible to freeze these. The texture
goes and the colour isn't helped by freezing but it tastes OK on thawing.

I was going to add that I've grown dill successfully in summer from seed
bought in the supermarkets as "sowa" which is true. However, on
checking, I discover that there are two very similar plants Anethum
Graveolens - european dill and Anethum Sowa - indian dill. These are
apparently very similar in appearance and flavour and I've now no idea
which I grew.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dill
Note that it starts "sole species of the genus anethum".
I'm now confused.

There's a bit in the BPC on identifying which seeds you have.
http://www.henriettesherbal.com/ecle...thum-grav.html