Old 22-11-2006, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default shrinking tree roots blocking drainage pipe ?

Dear URGlers,

I recently found that the water from my mum's roof was backing up and taking
an age to get down to the soakaway.

The offending tree has now been removed, but the clay drainage pipe is still
stuffed with roots.

Apart from diverting the water elsewhere and allowing the roots to dry and
shrink, I wonder how best to speed the process without major excavation.

The gunpowder option has been considered and discounted ;-)

Would Sodium chlorate or ammonium sulphamate expedite the situation ?

thanks ...

Old 22-11-2006, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

gentlegreen writes
Dear URGlers,

I recently found that the water from my mum's roof was backing up and taking
an age to get down to the soakaway.

The offending tree has now been removed, but the clay drainage pipe is still
stuffed with roots.

Apart from diverting the water elsewhere and allowing the roots to dry and
shrink, I wonder how best to speed the process without major excavation.

The gunpowder option has been considered and discounted ;-)

Would Sodium chlorate or ammonium sulphamate expedite the situation ?

I presume you don't want to get a drainage company in? They can often
clear roots from inside without need for excavation, and can if required
line the pipes to help prevent re-occurrence.

Also, check buildings insurance - it may be covered under that, and if
so, getting in a drainage contractor may be the easiest option.
--
Kay
Old 22-11-2006, 07:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"gentlegreen" wrote in
message k...
Dear URGlers,

I recently found that the water from my mum's roof was backing up and
taking
an age to get down to the soakaway.

The offending tree has now been removed, but the clay drainage pipe is
still
stuffed with roots.

Apart from diverting the water elsewhere and allowing the roots to dry and
shrink, I wonder how best to speed the process without major excavation.

The gunpowder option has been considered and discounted ;-)

Would Sodium chlorate or ammonium sulphamate expedite the situation ?

thanks ...

Ammonium sulphamate would only work if you don't flush the drain. If you can
get access to one end or the other you could use drain rods with a screw end
which might drill through the fibrous roots, allowing you to drag them out.
Do bear in mind that once the roots have shrunk and died they may leave
holes in the pipe.

Old 22-11-2006, 10:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

gentlegreen wrote:
Dear URGlers,

I recently found that the water from my mum's roof was backing up and taking
an age to get down to the soakaway.

The offending tree has now been removed, but the clay drainage pipe is still
stuffed with roots.

Apart from diverting the water elsewhere and allowing the roots to dry and
shrink, I wonder how best to speed the process without major excavation.

At our last house in the City we had exactly the same problem. We had
a company come in with a video camera which they put down the drain.
It was found that the roots had cracked the clay pipe further along
this pipe which ran through our neighbours boundary. We had
correspondence with the local authorities regarding public health and
our neighbours, with whom we had a very good relationship. After
discussion, both parties decided to bite the bullit and have it
excavated on both properties so that new pipes could be laid.
Needless, to say, we had the roots pruned on the offending tree. We
involved our insurance company from the start who negotiated with our
neighbours' insurers and the matter was settled swiftly, efficiently
and amicably.

Old 22-11-2006, 11:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
[...]

A treatment of caustic soda might do the trick. It certainly does with my
blocked downpipes on occasion.
be very careful and follow instructions as it can cause a nasty burn if it
gets on your skin.
Jim

Old 23-11-2006, 07:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

g'day gentlegree,

plumbers have a device called the plumbers eel they can put up a drain
to clear.

most equipment hire comapnies have them for hire as well so if you
have a little DIY knowledge you can do it yourself.

On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 17:05:40 GMT, "gentlegreen"
wrote:

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.gardenlen.com
Old 24-11-2006, 09:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"gardenlen" wrote in message
g'day gentlegree,

plumbers have a device called the plumbers eel they can put up a drain
to clear.

most equipment hire comapnies have them for hire as well so if you
have a little DIY knowledge you can do it yourself.

Do you think it could tackle well-packed roots ?

Old 24-11-2006, 11:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"gentlegreen" wrote in
message k...

"gardenlen" wrote in message
g'day gentlegree,

plumbers have a device called the plumbers eel they can put up a drain
to clear.

most equipment hire comapnies have them for hire as well so if you
have a little DIY knowledge you can do it yourself.

Do you think it could tackle well-packed roots ?

Only just looked in on this thread, so if its all been said before my
apologies.
I have my own set of drain rods (don't remember them being that expensive)
and selection of tools that screw onto the ends, one a sort of double helix
screw, can be screwed into the roots until solid then pulled, you get large
lumps of root each time you do it. So long as you always turn the rods so
all the joints tighten not loosen its very easy work (if occasionally a bit
smelly!)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk