GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Blossom (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/151145-blossom.html)

Tumbleweed 24-11-2006 01:52 PM

Blossom

Just noticed some blossom in a tree in my neighbours garden, not quite sure
what it is, probably a cherry....are there species that normally flower at
this time of year or is it unusual?

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Sue[_3_] 24-11-2006 02:32 PM

Blossom

"Tumbleweed" wrote
Just noticed some blossom in a tree in my neighbours garden, not quite
sure what it is, probably a cherry....are there species that normally
flower at this time of year or is it unusual?

Could be Prunus subhirtella which flowers through winter. I prefer it to
the blowsy, candyfloss type spring flowering ones

--
Sue

Sacha[_1_] 24-11-2006 05:17 PM

Blossom

On 24/11/06 13:52, in article ,
"Tumbleweed" wrote:

Just noticed some blossom in a tree in my neighbours garden, not quite sure
what it is, probably a cherry....are there species that normally flower at
this time of year or is it unusual?

Prunus subhirtella autumnalis is in flower in a garden near us.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Les Hemmings 24-11-2006 07:58 PM

Blossom

Tumbleweed wrote:
Just noticed some blossom in a tree in my neighbours garden, not
quite sure what it is, probably a cherry....are there species that
normally flower at this time of year or is it unusual?

We have a Photinia Red Robin in flower at the mo. Very strange!

Les

--
Remove Frontal Lobes to reply direct.

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our
brains drop out. (Richard Dawkins)

http://armsofmorpheus.blogspot.com/

http://www.richarddawkins.net/index.php

Les Hemmings a.a #2251 SA

K 24-11-2006 11:31 PM

Blossom

Tumbleweed writes
Just noticed some blossom in a tree in my neighbours garden, not quite sure
what it is, probably a cherry....are there species that normally flower at
this time of year or is it unusual?

Prunus subhirtella autumnalis (winter flowering cherry) has scattered
blossoms all through the winter. Ours doesn't think it's winter yet,
though.

--
Kay