Old 24-11-2006, 06:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Winter Colour

Hi, I just joined today.

I don't get to do much gardening due to health problems so I'm looking
for ideas that will give me a bit of winter colour every year. (I
already have some summer plants, e.g. roses, but more of that another
day!).

Is there anything hardy and preferably perennial, but not too expensive
, that I can maybe put in a patio tub near the back door that will
give a bit of colour for the next few months?

This would help to cheer me up on bad days.

Many thanks.

Sylvia

Old 24-11-2006, 08:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Oxymel of Squill" wrote
I planted a chimonanthus about 3 years ago with just this promise,
christmas flowers and scent. If you try it, get a mature one as it
seems to be a very slow grower

Skimmia japonica 'Rubella' could be another choice if the situation is
shaded or partially so. Smallish, neatly growing evergreen shrub with
heads of showy pink buds all winter and a good scent when the flowers
finally open. GC's have these in various sizes from tiddlers upwards at
the moment for using in winter potted arrangements.

--
Sue

Old 24-11-2006, 10:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/11/06 17:24, in article
, "skybluecat"
wrote:

Hi, I just joined today.

I don't get to do much gardening due to health problems so I'm looking
for ideas that will give me a bit of winter colour every year. (I
already have some summer plants, e.g. roses, but more of that another
day!).

Is there anything hardy and preferably perennial, but not too expensive
, that I can maybe put in a patio tub near the back door that will
give a bit of colour for the next few months?

This would help to cheer me up on bad days.

You could try Sarcococca (Christmas Box) which will give you outstanding
winter perfume, underplanted with e.g. tete a tete daffs for colour. The
size of your tub will define your choices, of course but if it doesn't
*have* to be perennial, a tub planted with winter flowering pansies or
Primulas is a lovely sight. A few of the silvery variegated, small leaf
ivies and it's something special. And, as a bonus, one sprig of
Sarcococca's apparently insignificant flowers in a vase will perfume half
the house.
By the way, if you could tell us where you live - rough location, info as to
frost pockets, winds, etc. - it helps to advise you on what to plant and
when.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 25-11-2006, 10:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"skybluecat" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, I just joined today.

I don't get to do much gardening due to health problems so I'm looking
for ideas that will give me a bit of winter colour every year. (I
already have some summer plants, e.g. roses, but more of that another
day!).

Is there anything hardy and preferably perennial, but not too expensive
, that I can maybe put in a patio tub near the back door that will
give a bit of colour for the next few months?

This would help to cheer me up on bad days.
Many thanks. Sylvia

I tend to go down to the local GC and see what they have in stock :~))

My 2005 offering :
http://www.ljconline.nl/garden/Plant...006febrary.htm

This year I have
http://www.ljconline.nl/garden/Plant...06November.htm

The plants go in the garden each year and are replaces with bulbs/summer
bedding

Heather looks nice.
Winter pansies are a cheap and cheerful solution.

More ideas:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/basic...nterpots.shtml
http://gardenseeker.com/evergreens_f..._container.htm

You could plant with something evergreen and add naf plastic Xmas
decorations next month :~))

Jenny

Your winter colour suggestions skybluecat United Kingdom 0 27-11-2006 05:59 PM
Winter colour JennyC United Kingdom 8 30-10-2004 04:33 PM
Winter colour David United Kingdom 5 14-10-2004 08:24 PM
Restore colour to wooden deck Stephen Oakes Australia 6 07-02-2004 07:17 AM
Winter colour Stephen Howard United Kingdom 0 05-12-2002 10:47 AM