GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Asparagus not dying back ... (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/151316-asparagus-not-dying-back.html)

Tugger 02-12-2006 01:28 PM

Asparagus not dying back ...

The foliage of my asparagus plants shows no sign of yellowing yet and isn't
dying back ...

.... it usually goes yellow and dies long before now (October typically) ....
I've never seen it like this before.

Question is ...

Should I cut it back ?

or

Leave it growing as is until frosts finally get it ?

MadCow 02-12-2006 09:50 PM

Asparagus not dying back ...

In message , Tugger
writes
The foliage of my asparagus plants shows no sign of yellowing yet and isn't
dying back ...

... it usually goes yellow and dies long before now (October typically) ....
I've never seen it like this before.

Question is ...

Should I cut it back ?

or

Leave it growing as is until frosts finally get it ?

Leave it to die down naturally, or be killed by the frost.
Mine's going yellow, it won't be long now.

--
Sue ]:(:)

Wes Halton 03-12-2006 06:20 PM

Asparagus not dying back ...

On Sat, 2 Dec 2006 13:28:36 -0000, "Tugger" wrote:

The foliage of my asparagus plants shows no sign of yellowing yet and isn't
dying back ...

... it usually goes yellow and dies long before now (October typically) ....
I've never seen it like this before.

Question is ...

Should I cut it back ?

or

Leave it growing as is until frosts finally get it ?

If its vegetable asparagus then it is advised to cut it back in
October to prevent Asparagus Beetle (Crioceris asparagi)
overwintering in it

For more info
http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile...gus_beetle.asp

Wes