GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Pronunciation (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/151355-pronunciation.html)

Farm1 04-12-2006 11:25 PM

Pronunciation

Just curious, I heard someone on the radio teh other day talking about
Viburnum tinus and they pronouced tinus in a way I'd never heard
before ao it made me wonder if I've been doign it wrong for all these
years.

Would anyone like to have a go at putting on screen how they pronouce
tinus?

Farm1 05-12-2006 12:07 AM

Pronunciation

"Sacha" wrote in message
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote:

Would anyone like to have a go at putting on screen how they

pronouce
tinus?

V. tinus as in TEEnus would be correct in Latin pronunciation but I

bet most
say TIEnus. ;-)

I use the latter as I've never heard it pronounced any other way but
the pronunciation of the radio person was TINus (not a gardening
expert, but a rich garden owner of the pretentious type). My better

Farm1 05-12-2006 12:12 AM

Pronunciation

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

And what about titinus?

From which I suffer!(:-(

Ummmmm. Are you sure that it is TITinus you suffer from?

(But on reflection, I guess many men do suffer from that)

Sacha[_1_] 05-12-2006 12:15 AM

Pronunciation

On 4/12/06 23:25, in article

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) 05-12-2006 02:15 AM

Pronunciation

"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message
"Sacha" wrote in message
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote:

Would anyone like to have a go at putting on screen how they

pronouce
tinus?

V. tinus as in TEEnus would be correct in Latin pronunciation but I

bet most
say TIEnus. ;-)

I use the latter as I've never heard it pronounced any other way but
the pronunciation of the radio person was TINus (not a gardening
expert, but a rich garden owner of the pretentious type). My better
half said that I was probably wrong, but then he's like that. :-))

I think hubby was right (on this occasion),as I say TIN -us,but I am not
rich nor pretentious. Some might say common with my pronunciation:-(

Mike in Spain 05-12-2006 11:51 AM

Pronunciation

Alan Holmes wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 4/12/06 23:25, in article
, "Farm1"
please@askifyouwannaknow wrote:

Just curious, I heard someone on the radio teh other day talking about
Viburnum tinus and they pronouced tinus in a way I'd never heard
before ao it made me wonder if I've been doign it wrong for all these
years.

Would anyone like to have a go at putting on screen how they pronouce
tinus?

V. tinus as in TEEnus would be correct in Latin pronunciation but I bet
most
say TIEnus. ;-)

And what about titinus?

From which I suffer!(:-(

Alan

Possibly a lack of a spell checker as well, shouldn't that be TINITUS?,
unless you are hearing, or seing different things from the majority of
sufferers. :-)

®óñ© © ² * ¹°°³ 05-12-2006 12:31 PM

Pronunciation

On 5 Dec 2006 03:51:43 -0800, "Mike in Spain"
wrote and included this (or some of
this):

And what about titinus?

From which I suffer!(:-(

Alan

Possibly a lack of a spell checker as well, shouldn't that be TINITUS?,
unless you are hearing, or seing different things from the majority of
sufferers. :-)

Or even better, TINNITUS.

--
®óñ© © ² * ¹°°³

Des Higgins 05-12-2006 04:38 PM

Pronunciation

"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message
Just curious, I heard someone on the radio teh other day talking about
Viburnum tinus and they pronouced tinus in a way I'd never heard
before ao it made me wonder if I've been doign it wrong for all these
years.

Would anyone like to have a go at putting on screen how they pronouce
tinus?

Many people say TYnus which is probably "wrong" and is a very Anglophone
pronunciation;
I would have said it that way until I went to Italy and lived in Germany for
a while and became pretentious
and now I would say TINNus or maybe TEEnus but I think the former is
probably more accurate.
All that really matters is that you say it the same as all yer friends; no
one really pronounces these names very accurately anyway.
In Germany, the pronuncaition of the latin name for Pine tree (Pinus) always
raised a few schoolboy titters in sad English speaking
lads who had watched too many Benny Hill shows.

How about lichen?
Some same litchen but I always found liken to be much more manly and
forceful;
it is possible that both are wrong anyway.

Des in Dublin where de best English is spoke

Bob Hobden 05-12-2006 04:57 PM

Pronunciation

"Farm1" wrote
Just curious, I heard someone on the radio teh other day talking about
Viburnum tinus and they pronouced tinus in a way I'd never heard
before ao it made me wonder if I've been doign it wrong for all these
years.

Would anyone like to have a go at putting on screen how they pronouce
tinus?

My book on plant name Latin says... teen-us

--
Regards
Bob H

Alan Holmes 05-12-2006 05:02 PM

Pronunciation

"Sacha" wrote in message
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote:

Would anyone like to have a go at putting on screen how they

pronouce
tinus?

V. tinus as in TEEnus would be correct in Latin pronunciation but I

bet most
say TIEnus. ;-)

I use the latter as I've never heard it pronounced any other way but
the pronunciation of the radio person was TINus (not a gardening
expert, but a rich garden owner of the pretentious type). My better
half said that I was probably wrong, but then he's like that. :-))

Oh dear I was under the impression that you were male, and talking about the
other half being female!

Alan

Alan Holmes 05-12-2006 05:03 PM

Pronunciation

"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message
"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

And what about titinus?

From which I suffer!(:-(

Ummmmm. Are you sure that it is TITinus you suffer from?

(But on reflection, I guess many men do suffer from that)

It's an offshoot of having our ears bombarded with the noise from the other
half's mouth!(:-)

Alan

Alan Holmes 05-12-2006 05:06 PM

Pronunciation

"Mike in Spain" wrote in message
ups.com...

Alan Holmes wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 4/12/06 23:25, in article
, "Farm1"
please@askifyouwannaknow wrote:

Just curious, I heard someone on the radio teh other day talking about
Viburnum tinus and they pronouced tinus in a way I'd never heard
before ao it made me wonder if I've been doign it wrong for all these
years.

Would anyone like to have a go at putting on screen how they pronouce
tinus?

V. tinus as in TEEnus would be correct in Latin pronunciation but I bet
most
say TIEnus. ;-)

And what about titinus?

From which I suffer!(:-(

Alan

Possibly a lack of a spell checker as well, shouldn't that be TINITUS?,
unless you are hearing, or seing different things from the majority of
sufferers. :-)

The bloody spell checker on this machine is very selective, sometimes it
will work, others not, so I often don't bother to use it, especially when I
KNOW I'm right!(:-)

But yes, it should have been tinitus!

Alan

Alan Holmes 05-12-2006 05:07 PM

Pronunciation

"®óñ© © ² * ¹°°³" wrote in message
On 5 Dec 2006 03:51:43 -0800, "Mike in Spain"
wrote and included this (or some of
this):

And what about titinus?

From which I suffer!(:-(

Alan

Possibly a lack of a spell checker as well, shouldn't that be TINITUS?,
unless you are hearing, or seing different things from the majority of
sufferers. :-)

Or even better, TINNITUS.

Yes, even that!

Alan

--
®óñ© © ² * ¹°°³

David Rance 05-12-2006 05:20 PM

Pronunciation

On Tue, 5 Dec 2006 Bob Hobden wrote:

"Farm1" wrote
Just curious, I heard someone on the radio teh other day talking about
Viburnum tinus and they pronouced tinus in a way I'd never heard
before ao it made me wonder if I've been doign it wrong for all these
years.

Would anyone like to have a go at putting on screen how they pronouce
tinus?

My book on plant name Latin says... teen-us

In which case it should be Veeburnum Teenus!

David

--
David Rance http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk
Fido Address: 2:252/110 writing from Caversham, Reading, UK