Old 13-12-2006, 11:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Can anyone recommend a distance learning course?

Alan Holmes writes

"judith lea" wrote in message
oups.com...

Alan Holmes wrote:

Oh, go on, please share it all with the rest of us, don't be mean!

Alan

Bad boy, no!!! I remember your wife well Alan from the meet at Kay's,
how is she? and how is the caravan?

Have decided to give up caravaning, pulling the thing out of the drive had
become a real pain in the behind, so it came to an end, a pity but that's
how life goes, I really loved the independency the caravan gave, now have to
rely on B&B or Youth Hostels!

*Youth* hostels?!! ;-)
--
Kay
Old 14-12-2006, 12:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Cat(h)" wrote in message

This is usenet,
after all. However, my experience of URG is that it is an
exceptionally mature and really good newsgroup, with focussed
contributors generous with sharing their experience and expertise,
little feeding of trolls and practically no entertainment of the
occasional headcase who inevitably cross-posts or passes through.

Yes it IS usenet and we are all used to trolls. However, what does
one do when the headcases become one of the "regular contributors"
and that headcase gives bad advice or is mixes in trolling along with
some garden advice?

I've pondering this long and hard and I've decided to just killfile
but I do have some sympathy for those new to gardening who, through
lack of any reasoned/unreasoned response to that poor advice, may take
the info onboard and act upon it.

Old 14-12-2006, 12:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/12/06 23:13, in article
, "Farm1"
please@askifyouwannaknow wrote:

snip

I've pondering this long and hard and I've decided to just killfile
but I do have some sympathy for those new to gardening who, through
lack of any reasoned/unreasoned response to that poor advice, may take
the info onboard and act upon it.

And that is *precisely* why a very few of us have taken issue with the
perpetrator. IMO, more should have done so. As I said some weeks ago,
urg's reputation for excellence has been dragged in the mire by this one
fool and as a consequence, we have lost the contributions of some excellent
and knowledgeable posters. It's very clear that the group has suffered as a
result. It is not the place it was, most certainly and it shows.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 14-12-2006, 12:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message
"Cat(h)" wrote in message

This is usenet,
after all. However, my experience of URG is that it is an
exceptionally mature and really good newsgroup, with focussed
contributors generous with sharing their experience and expertise,
little feeding of trolls and practically no entertainment of the
occasional headcase who inevitably cross-posts or passes through.

Yes it IS usenet and we are all used to trolls. However, what does
one do when the headcases become one of the "regular contributors"
and that headcase gives bad advice or is mixes in trolling along with
some garden advice?

I've pondering this long and hard and I've decided to just killfile
but I do have some sympathy for those new to gardening who, through
lack of any reasoned/unreasoned response to that poor advice, may take
the info onboard and act upon it.

We covered this ground in a previous thread? and never reached a
satisfactory conclusion. If the regulars killfiled "the nuisance" then there
would be no one around to defend innocent new posters against bad advice or
threats. I think Mike Adams also covered the point "Why should newbies
believe me or you rather than someone else.
Perhaps the best solution is to just ignore a certain poster and never make
a direct reply.

Old 14-12-2006, 02:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Cat(h)" wrote in message

[...]

It is quite possible to challenge the bad advice someone gives without
engaging them in a slanging match, and that does a great deal less harm
to the credibility of the group. Do bear in mind that a newbie to the
group and/or someone who is not a proficient gardener must know to
exercise caution with any advice received on usenet. And how likely is
a newbie to feel they have just been put right by someone who gives
them the right advice, but then feels compelled to add "Don't listen to
her, she talks rubbish, and anyway, she's ugly" (?!!??)
FWIW
Cat(h)

Old 14-12-2006, 02:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13 Dec 2006 11:54:20 -0800, "judith lea"
wrote:

D. M. Entor wrote:

God, what a cesspit of bitter old hags this ng is.

Dm

Hello, it's nice to see you back, are you feeling better?

Never better, thank you Jude.

Your old trouble improved at all?

De.Man

I still get a few awful aches and dreadful pains, but at my advanced,
almost mediievil age, it's to be expected I suppose, I'll just keep on
with the tablets; now where did I put them and were they for the old
trouble or the new one? Now I can't find my ear trumpet either, duh
old age eh?

Terrible getting old isn't it, but we must be grateful, for the
alternative is vastly worse. Liked your response, too.
Hope your old troubles abate and any new ones are mild and temporary.
Let me one of the first to wish you a calm, healthy and happy season.

--

Denominator looking for a numerator.

Old 14-12-2006, 04:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
Alan Holmes writes

"judith lea" wrote in message
roups.com...

Alan Holmes wrote:

Oh, go on, please share it all with the rest of us, don't be mean!

Alan

Bad boy, no!!! I remember your wife well Alan from the meet at Kay's,
how is she? and how is the caravan?

Have decided to give up caravaning, pulling the thing out of the drive had
become a real pain in the behind, so it came to an end, a pity but that's
how life goes, I really loved the independency the caravan gave, now have
rely on B&B or Youth Hostels!

*Youth* hostels?!! ;-)

Well I haven't yet met anyone older than me at a hostel, but I do know of
one fellow who is a member and he is much older than me!

Alan

--
Kay

Old 14-12-2006, 04:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Cat(h)" wrote in message

This is usenet,
after all. However, my experience of URG is that it is an
exceptionally mature and really good newsgroup, with focussed
contributors generous with sharing their experience and expertise,
little feeding of trolls and practically no entertainment of the
occasional headcase who inevitably cross-posts or passes through.

Yes it IS usenet and we are all used to trolls. However, what does
one do when the headcases become one of the "regular contributors"
and that headcase gives bad advice or is mixes in trolling along with
some garden advice?

Killfiling is the only answer.

I've pondering this long and hard and I've decided to just killfile
but I do have some sympathy for those new to gardening who, through
lack of any reasoned/unreasoned response to that poor advice, may take
the info onboard and act upon it.

Perhaps we should publish a list of objectionable posters and recomend to
all newcomers that they should killfile them all.

Alan

Old 14-12-2006, 04:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Cat(h) wrote:
It is quite possible to challenge the bad advice someone gives without
engaging them in a slanging match, and that does a great deal less harm
to the credibility of the group.

To this day we have never ever seen any, not one, supposedly wrong
advice put right because I haven't given one bad advice. It's always
buried into the usual rubbish we've succomed to in recent months. It
has always been a terrible frustrating time to realise that at the end
it's not about the advice given or not given, but it's about a
personnal issue which eventually turns into an ugly debate with rancid
and bitter responses and nothing about the gardening issue.

I cannot understand why nobody, absolutely nobody, not see the need to
look for the answer when it's there nor defend the poster with his/her
advice, in my case this would be the KLC school answer, and respond
that in fact it is right and plain to see. Other events like these are
numerous, notably the 'sustainability' issue with Janet and the
constant attacks I've had about not knowing what I was talking about
and supposedly pretending to be working where I was etc. When I proved
I was actually working in Scotland - the nasty posts stopped. And when
I try to prove myself with facts, I'm told I'm boasting.

As for the prunning of apple trees, the answer given by Judith as 'I'm
not an expert but' and 'Autumn - like now' as now turned into 'Late
Autumn/winter' and into 'my gardener does it for me'. Mind boggles. The
answer was winter, as Charlie explained, more like end of January/Feb,
even though there's a 4 months window time, I will prune my trees,
along with many of my gardening friends at the end of January/Feb and
not 'Now' as suggested by Judith (especially in the recent warm
temperature we've had).

That, and only that, frustrate me. And I will defend myself until I
change colour too g

Old 14-12-2006, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Sacha writes

It's very clear that the group has suffered as a
result. It is not the place it was, most certainly and it shows.

While we all accept the very great contribution made by Dave Poole, and
by Janet's knowledge, I'm sure you wouldn't want to dismiss the
contributions made by people like Charlie, Bob Hobden, Rupert, Stuart
Hinsley, Martin Brown and the very many contributors who are expert in
their own field.
--
Kay

Old 14-12-2006, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" writes

We covered this ground in a previous thread? and never reached a
satisfactory conclusion. If the regulars killfiled "the nuisance" then there
would be no one around to defend innocent new posters against bad advice or
threats. I think Mike Adams also covered the point "Why should newbies
believe me or you rather than someone else.

A feature of this affair is that protagonists on both sides are using
some (1) of the same techniques - name calling, personal insults, and
threats to inform employers. To the newcomer with no knowledge of the
history, it must be very difficult to know who to believe.

Perhaps the best solution is to just ignore a certain poster and never make
a direct reply.

If I were a newcomer, I would be swayed by correction of misinformation
backed up by objective argument, and evidence supporting the correct
information if it can be simply presented, rather than by a description
of a poster's character and motives.

But that is my opinion. Maybe others use different criteria.

(1) Please note I said "some". I am not saying "this person is just as
bad as that person"
--
Kay
Old 14-12-2006, 06:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/12/06 17:11, in article , "K"
wrote:

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" writes

[...]

Actually, you're not saying anything. Having said, when Judith and I left
the group and Janet stopped posting, that you felt you'd lost 3 friends,
you've said bugger all to any purpose to support that remark.

Old 14-12-2006, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

K wrote:
Sacha writes

It's very clear that the group has suffered as a
result. It is not the place it was, most certainly and it shows.

While we all accept the very great contribution made by Dave Poole, and
by Janet's knowledge, I'm sure you wouldn't want to dismiss the
contributions made by people like Charlie, Bob Hobden, Rupert, Stuart
Hinsley, Martin Brown and the very many contributors who are expert in
their own field.
--
Kay

Kay, Sacha was not doing that, she was paying tribute to those who have
left and I know she has enormous respect, as we all do, for the
contributors you mention above - you have met Sacha and stayed with her
and you know as I do, that she is a kind, gentle person who would not
mean to offend any of those who gainfully contribute to urg.

Judith Lea
At home

Old 14-12-2006, 06:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 17:33:07 +0000, Sacha wrote:

If I were a newcomer, I would be swayed by correction of misinformation
backed up by objective argument, and evidence supporting the correct
information if it can be simply presented, rather than by a description
of a poster's character and motives.

But that is my opinion. Maybe others use different criteria.

(1) Please note I said "some". I am not saying "this person is just as
bad as that person"

Actually, you're not saying anything. Having said, when Judith and I left
the group and Janet stopped posting, that you felt you'd lost 3 friends,
you've said bugger all to any purpose to support that remark.

Twisted boot.

Anybody with you for a *friend would not be short of an enemy.

Are you on the right medication?

Demonator