GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   OT OT OT Norton Symantec prob. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/151566-ot-ot-ot-norton-symantec-prob.html)

Sacha[_1_] 15-12-2006 05:59 PM

OT OT OT Norton Symantec prob.

I'm downloading a paid for update to my Mac, running OS X and for at least 5
hours it's been telling me it has one minute to run on Installing Symantec
Shared Frameworks. Does anyone know what on earth is going on here and what
I should do to solve the problem? I don't even know what it is!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Alan 15-12-2006 06:38 PM

OT OT OT Norton Symantec prob.

In message , Sacha
wrote
I'm downloading a paid for update to my Mac, running OS X and for at least 5
hours it's been telling me it has one minute to run on Installing Symantec
Shared Frameworks. Does anyone know what on earth is going on here and what
I should do to solve the problem? I don't even know what it is!

You need to check for a virus.

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com

Alan Holmes 15-12-2006 06:43 PM

OT OT OT Norton Symantec prob.

"Alan" wrote in message
In message , Sacha
wrote
I'm downloading a paid for update to my Mac, running OS X and for at least
5
hours it's been telling me it has one minute to run on Installing Symantec
Shared Frameworks. Does anyone know what on earth is going on here and
what
I should do to solve the problem? I don't even know what it is!

You need to check for a virus.

But I thought that was what Symantec did?

Alan

Sacha[_1_] 15-12-2006 06:55 PM

OT OT OT Norton Symantec prob.

On 15/12/06 18:38, in article , "Alan"
wrote:

In message , Sacha
wrote
I'm downloading a paid for update to my Mac, running OS X and for at least 5
hours it's been telling me it has one minute to run on Installing Symantec
Shared Frameworks. Does anyone know what on earth is going on here and what
I should do to solve the problem? I don't even know what it is!

You need to check for a virus.

On something bought direct from the maker?

June Hughes 15-12-2006 08:44 PM

OT OT OT Norton Symantec prob.

In message , Sacha
writes
On 15/12/06 18:38, in article , "Alan"
wrote:

In message , Sacha
wrote
I'm downloading a paid for update to my Mac, running OS X and for at least 5
hours it's been telling me it has one minute to run on Installing Symantec
Shared Frameworks. Does anyone know what on earth is going on here and what
I should do to solve the problem? I don't even know what it is!

You need to check for a virus.

On something bought direct from the maker?

Their helpline is extremely useful. See their site.
--
June Hughes

Sacha[_1_] 15-12-2006 11:00 PM

OT OT OT Norton Symantec prob.

On 15/12/06 20:44, in article , "June
Hughes" wrote:

In message , Sacha
writes
On 15/12/06 18:38, in article
, "Alan"
wrote:

In message , Sacha
wrote
I'm downloading a paid for update to my Mac, running OS X and for at least
5
hours it's been telling me it has one minute to run on Installing Symantec
Shared Frameworks. Does anyone know what on earth is going on here and
what
I should do to solve the problem? I don't even know what it is!

You need to check for a virus.

On something bought direct from the maker?

Their helpline is extremely useful. See their site.

Thanks to everyone. I'll look but I am NOT a happy bunny!

Kristina 16-12-2006 12:57 AM

Sacha wrote:
I'm downloading a paid for update to my Mac, running OS X and for at least 5
hours it's been telling me it has one minute to run on Installing Symantec
Shared Frameworks......

I'm sorry to hear about your installation troubles. You are more
patient than I would be under the circumstances! Could you force
'Quit', then do an 'Uninstall' and try again? You've probably checked
this already, but all I could find was this troubleshooting page on the
Symantec site:

Perhaps, if you enter the exact OS X version you are using and the
particular upgrade you are trying to install, you would find there is a
compatibility problem and suggested solution. Have you tried either of
these sites?

www.macintouch.com/
www.macfixit.com/

Good luck,

Kristina (waiting for our son-in-law to arrive next week and update all
our Macs)
www.spanglefish.com/Old Orchard/

MikeCT 16-12-2006 01:41 PM

"Sacha" wrote in a message:
I'm downloading a paid for update to my Mac, running OS X and for at least
5 hours it's been telling me it has one minute to run on Installing
Symantec Shared Frameworks. Does anyone know what on earth is going on
here and what I should do to solve the problem? I don't even know what it
is!
--

Symantec is "designed to proactively protect you from today's omline threats
and tomorrow's. It helps stop phising, spyware and other unauthorised

MikeCT

Sally Thompson[_2_] 16-12-2006 02:09 PM

OT OT OT Norton Symantec prob.

On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 17:59:05 +0000, Sacha wrote
(in article ):

I'm downloading a paid for update to my Mac, running OS X and for at least 5
hours it's been telling me it has one minute to run on Installing Symantec
Shared Frameworks. Does anyone know what on earth is going on here and what
I should do to solve the problem? I don't even know what it is!

Sacha, there are known huge problems running Symantec on a Mac, and so far no
known viruses on a Mac. If you Google Groups on the comp.sys.mac.apps
newsgroup you will find lots of threads about this. I suggest you remove the
application!

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
http://www.whitton-stmarys.org.uk

Sacha[_1_] 16-12-2006 02:14 PM

OT OT OT Norton Symantec prob.

On 16/12/06 13:41, in article ,
"MikeCT" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in a message:
I'm downloading a paid for update to my Mac, running OS X and for at least
5 hours it's been telling me it has one minute to run on Installing
Symantec Shared Frameworks. Does anyone know what on earth is going on
here and what I should do to solve the problem? I don't even know what it
is!
--

Symantec is "designed to proactively protect you from today's omline threats
and tomorrow's. It helps stop phising, spyware and other unauthorised
invasions of your computer." Anyway, that's what it says on the tin!
Have you a Firewall stopping the installation of Symantec?

Don't think so. How do I find that out and wouldn't it tell me so? If I
have, it would be its own, I would think. sighhhhh.

Sacha[_1_] 16-12-2006 02:15 PM

OT OT OT Norton Symantec prob.

On 16/12/06 14:09, in article
, "Sally Thompson"
wrote:

On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 17:59:05 +0000, Sacha wrote
(in article ):

I'm downloading a paid for update to my Mac, running OS X and for at least 5
hours it's been telling me it has one minute to run on Installing Symantec
Shared Frameworks. Does anyone know what on earth is going on here and what
I should do to solve the problem? I don't even know what it is!

Sacha, there are known huge problems running Symantec on a Mac, and so far no
known viruses on a Mac. If you Google Groups on the comp.sys.mac.apps
newsgroup you will find lots of threads about this. I suggest you remove the
application!

I've used it before without problems. It's just this download that I've
paid for (!!) which is driving me mad. Thanks to everyone for the advice
and help. Are you saying one doesn't need anti virus software on a Mac
though, Sally?

Alan 16-12-2006 02:31 PM

OT OT OT Norton Symantec prob.

In message , MikeCT
wrote

"Sacha" wrote in a message:
I'm downloading a paid for update to my Mac, running OS X and for at least
5 hours it's been telling me it has one minute to run on Installing
Symantec Shared Frameworks. Does anyone know what on earth is going on
here and what I should do to solve the problem? I don't even know what it
is!
--

Symantec is "designed to proactively protect you from today's omline threats
and tomorrow's.

Norton products do the exact opposite. Install one of their products and
it will always be trying to contact home and they are almost impossible
to eradicate from your system without a complete system re-build.

Sally Thompson[_2_] 16-12-2006 02:40 PM

OT OT OT Norton Symantec prob.

On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 14:15:41 +0000, Sacha wrote
(in article ):

On 16/12/06 14:09, in article
, "Sally Thompson"
wrote:

[...]

Yes, I am saying just that. It isn't just my uneducated advice, though, you
will find loads about this on the comp.sys.mac* newsgroups. If you run
Windows within your Mac using Virtual PC or Parallels, you might want to put
some anti virus software on the Windows part of your Mac, but otherwise you
just don't need it.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
bed and breakfast near Ludlow:

Sacha[_1_] 16-12-2006 02:53 PM

OT OT OT Norton Symantec prob.

On 16/12/06 14:40, in article
, "Sally Thompson"

wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Sally.

MikeCT 16-12-2006 03:06 PM

OT OT OT Norton Symantec prob.

"Alan" replied:

Norton products do the exact opposite. Install one of their products and
it will always be trying to contact home and they are almost impossible to
eradicate from your system without a complete system re-build.
---

I agree! I have ZoneAlarm Pro, avast! Antivirus, Spybot Search & Destroy
and a-squared keeping my PC safe. All but ZoneAlarm Pro are FREE,
*and* have kept my computer trouble free for at least two and a half years.

MikeCT