Old 16-04-2003, 09:45 AM
Pete

Default leylandii spacing

What is the best spacing for a Leylandii hedge? I have heard anything
from 2 ft up to 4 ft........ i do not want any gaps.

I do not have any neighbours to worry about. so please no evil
Leylandii comments.

Pete W

West coast Canada
Cobble Hill, Vancouver Island

Old 16-04-2003, 09:56 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Pete writes:
| What is the best spacing for a Leylandii hedge? I have heard anything
| from 2 ft up to 4 ft........ i do not want any gaps.

Why not 10'? It depends on the height you want to grow it to and
the height at which you don't want gaps! You will obviously have
gaps at soil level.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 16-04-2003, 10:56 AM
Paul Kelly

"Pete" wrote in message
What is the best spacing for a Leylandii hedge? I have heard anything
from 2 ft up to 4 ft........ i do not want any gaps.

I do not have any neighbours to worry about. so please no evil
Leylandii comments.

clearly right plant for the location then!

How tall do you want it? How big are you planting?

Plant 2ft (60cm) apart for 6ft (1.8m) hedge. For taller hedges or screens

the planting distance should be about a quarter of the proposed height

Cribbed from a hedge specailis site

pk

Old 16-04-2003, 10:56 AM
Emrys Davies

'Pete',

The closer the planting the quicker the hedge will fill in.

2' 6" apart will be ideal. Regular watering is a must. Make sure that
the roots are not allowed to dry out.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 18-04-2003, 01:32 AM
Dave Hunt

The closer the planting the quicker the hedge will fill in.

2' 6" apart will be ideal. Regular watering is a must. Make sure that
the roots are not allowed to dry out.

My hedge is about twelve years old...alternate green and gold Leylandii,
initially planted about 2 feet apart, and kept trimmed tojust over 6 feet
tall....brilliant windbreak and an attractive hedge too!
Dave Hunt...Shropshire
----share what you know...learn what you don't----

Old 22-04-2003, 10:20 AM
bigboard

Pete wrote:
What is the best spacing for a Leylandii hedge? I have heard anything
from 2 ft up to 4 ft........ i do not want any gaps.

I do not have any neighbours to worry about. so please no evil
Leylandii comments.

Pete W

Usual recommended distance is one every 47 miles.

Old 22-04-2003, 09:32 PM
bnd777

Bigboard wrote (one every 47 miles )!!!!!!!Now thats not nice .......Pete
did say he does not have any neighbours so "no evil comments please "

Its the leylandi growers who fail to consider their neighbours who give rise
to the problems

leylandii spacing argonex Gardening 1 10-09-2010 03:52 AM
Bambusa Lako spacing Rick DeBay Bamboo 5 01-02-2006 10:17 PM
B. oldhamii spacing Rick Emerson Bamboo 1 14-04-2003 03:32 AM
Sweet Alyssum spacing? Someone Gardening 8 09-04-2003 04:44 AM
Spacing of Perennials Jack United Kingdom 2 02-03-2003 05:00 PM