Old 17-12-2006, 08:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default North to south or east to west (Rows)

Since taking on my new plot at a new site with a new community of allotment
holders I asked the question,
How do you grow your runner beans and sweet peas?
do the rows go east to west with the south and north facing aspect on the
plants or North to south with the east and west facing the bean rows.

A big can of worms was opened
What would you! do?
Colin.
--
East Coast Nature Guides
Lowestoft

Old 17-12-2006, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Colin Jacobs wrote:
: Since taking on my new plot at a new site with a new community of
: allotment holders I asked the question,
: How do you grow your runner beans and sweet peas?
: do the rows go east to west with the south and north facing aspect on
: the plants or North to south with the east and west facing the bean
: rows.
:
: A big can of worms was opened
: What would you! do?
: Colin.

North to South gives more sunshine on the row in theory but I am never sure
whether it makes enough difference to matter

Old 18-12-2006, 12:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Colin Jacobs" wrote in message
Since taking on my new plot at a new site with a new community of
allotment
holders I asked the question,
How do you grow your runner beans and sweet peas?
do the rows go east to west with the south and north facing aspect on the
plants or North to south with the east and west facing the bean rows.

A big can of worms was opened
What would you! do?

Plant whichever way was best for the site, I doubt that the direction will
make much difference.

Alan
Colin.
--
East Coast Nature Guides
Lowestoft

Old 18-12-2006, 12:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Robert wrote:
Colin Jacobs wrote:
: Since taking on my new plot at a new site with a new community of
: allotment holders I asked the question,
: How do you grow your runner beans and sweet peas?
: do the rows go east to west with the south and north facing aspect on
: the plants or North to south with the east and west facing the bean
: rows.
:
: A big can of worms was opened
: What would you! do?
: Colin.

North to South gives more sunshine on the row in theory but I am never sure
whether it makes enough difference to matter

I think it would make a significant difference if you had a dense row
of peas or runner beans south of lower-growing vegetables, but probably
not too much difference if the taller things were on the northern side.
In a few cases, though, perhaps the difference might be beneficial: I
imagine radishes, for example, would run away a bit slower in the
dappled shade.

There may be issues with pests and diseases as well as simply growth.

--
Mike.

Old 18-12-2006, 12:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Colin Jacobs" wrote ...
Since taking on my new plot at a new site with a new community of
allotment
holders I asked the question,
How do you grow your runner beans and sweet peas?
do the rows go east to west with the south and north facing aspect on the
plants or North to south with the east and west facing the bean rows.

A big can of worms was opened
What would you! do?

Ours are planted across our plot roughly N to S so that both sides get sun
as it moves round during the day and any plants nearby are not totally
shaded.
It also happens to be the aspect of our plot which has it's longest axis E
to W. :-)

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 18-12-2006, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Colin Jacobs" wrote ...
Since taking on my new plot at a new site with a new community of
allotment
holders I asked the question,
How do you grow your runner beans and sweet peas?
do the rows go east to west with the south and north facing aspect on the
plants or North to south with the east and west facing the bean rows.

A big can of worms was opened
What would you! do?

Ours are planted across our plot roughly N to S so that both sides get sun
as it moves round during the day and any plants nearby are not totally
shaded.
It also happens to be the aspect of our plot which has it's longest axis E
to W. :-)

Our plot runs N - S (ish), and it's divided into four beds. In three of the
beds, the rows go across, ie E - W, but the fourth is the potato bed and the
rows go N - S. Natch the bed which is the odd one out changes each year with
the rotation. It arose out of convenience rather than for any other reason.
It suited the quantity of seed potatoes we had in year one to do it that
way. I wouldn't like to claim any advantages for doing it this way, nor have
we found any disadvantages.

Steve

Old 18-12-2006, 01:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Colin Jacobs" asked:
snip
How do you grow your runner beans and sweet peas?
do the rows go east to west with the south and north facing aspect on the
plants or North to south with the east and west facing the bean rows.

A big can of worms was opened
What would you! do?

---
I grow my runner beans up wigwams, my neighbour prefers rows with a north,
south aspect. We both have heavy yields.

MikeCT

Old 18-12-2006, 08:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 12:17:37 +0000, MikeCT wrote:

"Colin Jacobs" asked:
snip
How do you grow your runner beans and sweet peas?
do the rows go east to west with the south and north facing aspect on the
plants or North to south with the east and west facing the bean rows.

A big can of worms was opened
What would you! do?

---
I grow my runner beans up wigwams, my neighbour prefers rows with a north,
south aspect. We both have heavy yields.

MikeCT

I am completely non expert on runner beans but I put them in east to west
as was done when my husband was able to do them. I was getting a bit
worried because they have been in the same place for some years. However
they grew and grew and I was kept much occupied chopping them up with a £3
patent chopper from the internet. I am so pleased that I didn't give up on
preparing them and putting them in the freezer. What a delight to have
such vibrant spring green beans yesterday for lunch!