Old 17-12-2006, 11:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default A word of warning!

A week and a half ago I walked into our small greenhouse, turned around, and
straight into our tall Oleander, a leaf of which went up inside my glasses
and stabbed me in the eye.
To cut a very long story short after two days it got bad such that it was
very light sensitive and painful and the "Walk in Centre" (not local!) I
went to said I had scratched the cornea. Turns out their treatment was
incorrect because of the depth of the cut and I now have had to see a local
eye surgeon three times this week because it has ulcerated. Three lots of
eye drops to take. Only now am I able to look at a PC screen or any light
although my vision is still blurred in the right eye. Still can't drive.

My Surgeon says if you get something like that in your eye go to Hospital
ASAP for a checkup (and try to see an eye surgeon) don't wait for it to get
worse, with eyes it's better safe that sorry!

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 18-12-2006, 10:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
[...]

Blimey Bob, I don't like the sound of that. Back in the summer I turned
round near one of the water butts and got the tapered end of a cable tie in
my eye, fortunately it went between the eyeball and the eyelid, nothing near
as nasty as yours. A salutary lesson to cut the ends off I suppose.

Anyway, best wishes for a full recovery.

Steve

Old 18-12-2006, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:
A week and a half ago I walked into our small greenhouse, turned around, and
straight into our tall Oleander, a leaf of which went up inside my glasses
and stabbed me in the eye.

(snip)

Ouch!! Thank you for the warning Bob and wishing you get well soon. I
only seem to get either cut or on some occasions poisonned .... ;o)

Old 18-12-2006, 11:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Bob Hobden
writes
[...]

Bob, how awful for you. I hope it improves quickly.
--
June Hughes

Old 18-12-2006, 11:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:
A week and a half ago I walked into our small greenhouse, turned
around, and straight into our tall Oleander, a leaf of which went up
inside my glasses and stabbed me in the eye.

Reminds me of the time I stabbed myself in the eye with the side arm of my
specs as I put them on!

VERY painful, you have my sympathy.

What was even less funny was having to explain to people why I was wearing
an eye patch and having to watch them dissolve in laughter!

pk

Old 18-12-2006, 12:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Bob Hobden writes
[...]

Bob, very sorry to hear that. By coincidence, my husband did the same
last weekend. Though not as bad as yours, it's still a severe infection,
and we've had 4 hospital visits since last Monday. I reiterate your
advice, don't 'wait and see', get straight to the hospital. Between
appointments, his eye seemed to be getting worse, so he went back
straight away, and it was most certainly the right thing to do, as they
immediately upped him to hourly doses of a stronger antibiotic.

--
Kay
Old 18-12-2006, 01:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

K wrote:
Bob Hobden writes
[...]

And let's all promise one another that we will no longer leave a garden
cane standing without a protective ball thing on top -- my grandfather
gave himself a nasty eye injury that way. The specs thing's a devil,
too: a jab in the eyeball helped me to retrain myself always to shut my
eyes when putting them on. Speedy recovery, Bob.

--
Mike.

Old 18-12-2006, 01:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Ouch.................there but for the grace etc............go almost
any of us. It's usually the ends of canes etc, mostly we get away with
it thinking 'ow - that was close' Rotten luck Bob, hope you get better
soon.

--
Rod

My real address is rodthegardeneratmyisp

Old 18-12-2006, 02:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mike Lyle" wrote
K wrote:
Bob, very sorry to hear that. By coincidence, my husband did the same
last weekend. Though not as bad as yours, it's still a severe
infection, and we've had 4 hospital visits since last Monday. I
reiterate your advice, don't 'wait and see', get straight to the
hospital. Between appointments, his eye seemed to be getting worse,
so he went back straight away, and it was most certainly the right
thing to do, as they immediately upped him to hourly doses of a
stronger antibiotic.

And let's all promise one another that we will no longer leave a
garden cane standing without a protective ball thing on top -- my
grandfather gave himself a nasty eye injury that way. The specs
thing's a devil, too: a jab in the eyeball helped me to retrain myself
always to shut my eyes when putting them on. Speedy recovery, Bob.

And best wishes for a swift recovery to Kay's OH too.

I'm thinking a pair of plastic safety specs might be a good extra
Christmas stocking filler for all our gardening friends and relatives -
as long as they don't jab themselves with those!

Using a garden shredder is another time when eye protection is a must.
It took one or two near misses with branches suddenly whipping round and
smacking me in the face and the odd sharp bit unexpectedly shooting back
upwards before I thought to borrow my hubby's DIY safety specs when I
got the shredder going.

--
Sue

Old 18-12-2006, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
A week and a half ago I walked into our small greenhouse, turned around,
and straight into our tall Oleander, a leaf of which went up inside my
glasses and stabbed me in the eye.

snip

Yikes !!
Hope you are the mend now Bob.
jenny

Old 18-12-2006, 10:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:

My Surgeon says if you get something like that in your eye go to Hospital
ASAP for a checkup (and try to see an eye surgeon) don't wait for it to get
worse, with eyes it's better safe that sorry!

--
Regards

Bob, I was talking to a friend today, an Ophthalmic Surgeon and I
mentioned your posting, he said that anyone who sustains an eye injury
should present to A & E immediately.

I hope you are well on the road to recovery.

Judith - at home

Old 19-12-2006, 03:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

To cut a very long story short after two days it got bad such that

it was
very light sensitive and painful and the "Walk in Centre" (not

local!) I
went to said I had scratched the cornea. Turns out their treatment

was
incorrect because of the depth of the cut and I now have had to see

a local
eye surgeon three times this week because it has ulcerated.

:-(( sorry to hear of your woes Bob. Hope all is better in time to
enjoy some Xmas cheer. I can imagine nothing worse than trying to put
in eye drops whilst 3 sheets to the wind.

Old 19-12-2006, 12:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Farm1" wrote after "Bob Hobden" cried
To cut a very long story short after two days it got bad such that

it was
very light sensitive and painful and the "Walk in Centre" (not

local!) I
went to said I had scratched the cornea. Turns out their treatment

was
incorrect because of the depth of the cut and I now have had to see

a local
eye surgeon three times this week because it has ulcerated.

:-(( sorry to hear of your woes Bob. Hope all is better in time to
enjoy some Xmas cheer. I can imagine nothing worse than trying to put
in eye drops whilst 3 sheets to the wind.

Thanks for everyone's kind comments, it seems to be getting better to me, I
actually drove today, but the Doc said today it's still "touch and go" which
is comforting not!
Anyway, we have just bottled some Limonchello we made from our own Lemons,
some Cranberry Vodka, and have some "Orangechello" from our own Oranges due
to be bottled tomorrow so it's going to be a merry Christmas come what may.
:-)

--
Regards
Bob H