Old 25-12-2006, 07:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default In flower this day

Out in the garden, and in no particular order:

Correa 'Dusky Bells'
Erica verticillata (South African species heather)
Erica viridescens (South African species heather)
Alyogyne Hueglii (Australian purple hibiscus)
Cyclamen hybrids (red, white, plum purple)
Vinca (white, unknown rampant variety)
Lonicera japonica Halliana
Polygala myrtifolia grandiflora
Pelargonium hybrids (two in planters)
Mesembryanthemum (yellow flowered shrubby species, name forgotten!)
Bergenia
Chrysocoma Coma-Aurea ('Golden Heads', South African sub-shrub with
yellow button fls)
Gazania hybrids
Ulex flore pleno (double gorse)
Hebe hybrids (reddish purple large flowered)
Rosemary (dark blue low growing form)
Euryops pectinatus
Grevillea lanigera
Grevillea rhyolitica
Grevillea x Canberra Gem
Leptospermum scoparium Red Damask (to my surprise, and heavy with bud)
Watsonia John May's Special (creamy pink, small fls)
Escallonia Iveyi (white, dark green leaves)
Primula vulgaris (common primrose)
Primula Wanda
Eriocephalus africanus (South African rosemary)
Osothamnus ?ledifolius

One or two camellias with buds showing colour (but elsewhere down here
some early varieties have been out for several weeks). No daffs, but
they've been out in a friend's garden for several days. How much of
this is due to our being in the far SW of Cornwall, or the mild
weather, I don't know. No air frost yet this autumn/winter, although a
couple of ground frosts recently (minimum 1C so far).

Happy Christmas (what's left of it) and a successful New Year in the
garden to everyone!

--
Chris

Old 25-12-2006, 09:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Chris Hogg
writes
[...]

I guess you're further south than I am. I've not had much of a look at
the garden, due to a virus infection, but still flowering plants include
Lavatera 'Bicolor', Lavatera 'Princesse de Ligne', Lavatera x clementii
'Rosea', Lavatera cretica, Malva sylvestris x durieui, Abutilon x
hybridum, Anisodontea malavastroides, and brought indoors last week and
still flowered Anisodontea capensis and Anisodontea x hypomadura.

Oh, and Meconopsis cambrica.

On the way back from the supermarket on Tuesday I noted Smooth Sow
Thistle, Groudsel, Common Ragwort, Nipplewort and Yarrow in flower.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 26-12-2006, 02:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Chris Hogg
writes
[...]

Not doing so well, but;-

Hebe
Rose ( Zepherin Drouhin )
Alyssum ( white )
Jasmine ( winter )
Osteospermum
Fuchsia
Erysimum Bowles' Mauve

The nasturtiums finally got toasted during the frost last week :0(

Andy.

Old 26-12-2006, 12:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Andy" wrote in message

In message , Chris Hogg
writes
Out in the garden, and in no particular order:

Not doing so well, but;-

Hebe
Rose ( Zepherin Drouhin )
Alyssum ( white )
Jasmine ( winter )
Osteospermum
Fuchsia
Erysimum Bowles' Mauve

The nasturtiums finally got toasted during the frost last week :0(

Andy.

Not much that shouldn't be out, but some things looking lovely despite the
cold and grey.
Acacia baileyana
Clematis cirrhosa balearica (and Freckles)
Correa alba,
Coronilla valentina,
Cyclamen coum
Iris Unguicularis,
Lonicera x purpusii
Viburnum bodnantense Dawn
Vinca major alba
Vinca difformis Jenny Pym
Some colour showing on Camellias, but even St Ewe is not yet out which makes
it late as we can normally pick for Christmas.
Special mention for the Bougainvillea (which lives in the conservatory) that
has flowered without a break since this time last year and framed the window
in our dining room for Christmas day :~)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 26-12-2006, 12:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/12/06 11:04, in article , "Charlie
Pridham" wrote:

"Andy" wrote in message

In message , Chris Hogg
writes
[...]

Camellia Narumi Gata is out, so is the mystery C.sasanqua which is so like
the Pilnitz one and the new (to us) one called C. Takanini. The latter
seems to flower so much and for so long that it would almost be easier to
say when it's NOT out! Snowdrops are pushing through under the big cedar
tree, the Clematis cirrhosa balearica and Freckles are out, as are some
Mahonias. Lonicera purpusii is going great guns by the front door.
Viburnum bodnantense Dawn, yes, plus V. tinus and several different Vincas,
Euryops, a pale pink rhododendron the name of which I can't remember, Daphne
bholua, the odd Californian poppy here and there and the Grevillea
rosmarinifolia is doing its best and is nearly there.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 26-12-2006, 06:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

snip!

I've not had much of a look at the garden, due to a virus infection
Stewart Robert Hinsley

It's a myth that plant virii transmit to humans so it's quite safe to have a
look at your garden.:-)

Old 27-12-2006, 02:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Charlie Pridham writes
Some colour showing on Camellias, but even St Ewe is not yet out which
makes it late as we can normally pick for Christmas. Special mention
for the Bougainvillea (which lives in the conservatory) that has
flowered without a break since this time last year and framed the
window in our dining room for Christmas day :~)

Noticed that although we've got some ridiculous things in flower
(rosemary, forsythia), the snowdrops aren't so much as showing the tips
of their leaves through the soil - do they need a certain period of cold
weather to trigger growth?
--
Kay
Old 27-12-2006, 08:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Charlie Pridham wrote:

"Andy" wrote in message

In message , Chris Hogg
writes
[...]

My bougainvillia is out in our garden, as are all our neighbours, but
then I do have a bit of an advantage :-)

Old 27-12-2006, 09:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 27/12/06 07:35, in article
, "Mike in Spain"
wrote:

snip

My bougainvillia is out in our garden, as are all our neighbours, but
then I do have a bit of an advantage :-)

At this rate, you'll also have a thick ear. ;-))
Thinking of climatic advantages, we've been given some cuttings of a white
buddleia called Buddleia auriculata which a friend says is flowering in

her
conservatory now and is deliciously scented. Have you or Charlie come
across that one, I wonder? I think it *might* be hardy in the warmer

parts
of the SW.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
http://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/

I have one outside, by accident realy, it was in a pot left standing too
long and has rooted down, been there about 6 years now!